- Port Harcourt International Airport, PHC. There are now direct flights from Europe operated by Air France and Lufthansa. It is also less than an hour in the air if you fly in via Lagos or Abuja
Rail service to Port Harcourt is limited to a once-weekly train from Kano, via Kaduna run by Nigeria Railway Corporation. The terminus 1 Port Harcourt Central railway station is located on Station Rd.
- From Nembe by ferry.
- Borikiri Market.
- Port Harcourt Zoo.
- Izumini River - an hour's drive outside of the city
- Port Harcourt Pleasure Park
- Traditional carvings and paintings.
- Hand tooled leather boxes and trunks of all shapes and sizes.
Rice, egusi soup with eba or fufu, pounded yam, papper soup, ogbono soup.
Suya - A kind of spicy meat kebab. Available at the side of any road cooked over charcoal. Wash it down with a Coke, called locally a mineral, or a bottle of the local Guinness or Maltina.
There is great night life here.
Try Cheers Bar in GRA every Sunday! Place is absolutely packed with guys and girls being treated to awesome music by Nick and Smart. Food is great, service is friendly and the beers are cold!
Also on weekends Wine Bar, Bunga Villa (as the locals call it) and Aristo House are great!
- 1 Hotel Presidential, Aba Road, ☎ . A locally owned hotel, centrally located and has recently undergone renovations.
- Mina Hotels is a relatively nice and clean place - the rooms are quite large and do not have that "wet" and old smell other hotels in this price range usually have. Prices start at around 40-50 USD/night (2005 winter).
- 2 Swiss Spirit Hotel & Suites Danag (Swiss Spirit Hotel & Suites Port Harcourt), 79 Ken Saro Wiwa Rd., Port Harcourt, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Swiss Spirit Hotel & Suites Danag is located in the capital city of Rivers State, Port Harcourt, with its 144 rooms & suites. Situated in one of the most bustling cities of Nigeria, the hotel is situated along the city's commercial district on the formerly known Stadium Road, making the hotel a prime and vibrant destination in Port Harcourt.
Swiss Spirit Hotel & Suites Danag is a 30 minutes drive from the Port Harcourt International Airport & merely 5 mins drive from the Air Force Base and the Port Harcourt Stadium. From US$ 50.
Le Méridien and Novotel are the two hotels in town which offers high-quality accommodations.
- 4 Hotel Novotel Port Harcourt, 3 Stadium Road, ☎ , e-mail: H5465@accor.com.
- Swiss International Mabisel - Port Harcourt (Swiss International Mabisel Hotel), No. 9 Mabisel Avenue, Off Peter Odili Rd., Port Harcourt,, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 10:00. Located in an ideal location within easy access to major corporate companies in Port Harcourt, Swiss International Mabisel Hotel offers well-appointed and comfortable rooms. Its state of the art facilities, and exquisite bars and dining options, welcomes both business and leisure travelers.
On the southern tip of Nigeria in the heart of the Niger Delta is Port Harcourt, “The Garden City”. Swiss International Mabisel Port Harcourt is 40 minutes’ drive from the Port Harcourt International Airport and is situated in the business district and at close proximity to major corporate locations in Port Harcourt. From US$ 80.
You will hardly be able to find your way in Nigeria especially in Port Harcourt unless you have been provided earlier direction.
Port Harcourt is the centre of oil business in Nigeria. Some people have a strong feeling that the oil is "stolen" from them by local government in cooperation with foreign companies. There are frequent riots, worker strikes and regular reports of kidnapping.
Some bars and clubs, nevertheless, seem relatively safe even during the night.