|Climate chart (explanation)|
- See also: Egypt#Climate
Marsa Matruh has the coolest summer day temperatures of any other city or resort in Egypt. It is known for its light colored sands and clear beach water.
|18 °C (64 °F)||17 °C (63 °F)||17 °C (63 °F)||18 °C (64 °F)||20 °C (68 °F)||23 °C (73 °F)||25 °C (77 °F)||26 °C (79 °F)||26 °C (79 °F)||25 °C (77 °F)||22 °C (72 °F)||20 °C (68 °F)|
The West Delta Bus Station is the city's main transportation hub and is located on the town's main square. Buses plying the Marsa Matruh - Alexandria route leave three times daily at 7AM, 5PM and 10pm. Booking ahead is well advised.
The most convenient way to reach Marsa Matruh from Cairo is to catch the 7:30AM West Delta Bus from the city's Turgoman Bus Station to Marsa Matruh. This should arrive in time to make 1:30PM planes.
There are slow trains from Alexandra.
- 1 Marsa Matruh railway station.
There is no official shared taxi service in Marsa Matruh, but sheruts leave from in front of Abdu's Restaurant (across from the Yousef Hotel) in the early evening. Confirming in advance is highly recommended.
Bicycles are the best way to explore Marsa Matruh and surroundings, and Chinese gear-less models can be rented for 10LE per day (5LE half day). Before accepting a bike, however, check that it is sturdy, that the brakes are functioning well and that the handle bars are not cracked or bent. Note that driving on sand covered streets can be quite a challenge for inexperienced cyclists.
By donkey cart
Donkey cart drivers are mostly children who have learned the trade from very young. Prices for this mode of transport are negotiable, and run from around 3LE for a short trip within the downtown up to 30LE for longer journeys.
- 1 Rommel cave museum. 9AM-4PM. Miniscule museum in a cave. Allegedly Rommel stayed here during the war. Contains some war artifacts such as guns and battle maps and some of Rommel's personal belongings. Not really worth the visit. Foreigner LE40 Foreign student LE20.
- Siwa Dates are the best in Egypt, and perhaps the whole world. Apart from regular dates, they are also sold stuffed with almonds and chocolate. Look for shops handling dates, and prices range from around 7 to 8 LE for a 500 gram box.
- Stroll the beach and eat a large variety of vendor offerings.
As a very conservative and traditional town, Marsa Matruh is extremely safe. There is no risk of theft or physical violence as long as travelers behave according to expected norms, which in Marsa Matruh includes not communicating with local women as doing so is considered a rude and hostile act.
- Women are not allowed to wear clothes that reveal the shoulders, breasts or legs.
- Displays of affection in public are prohibited.
- Alcohol cannot be consumed publicly.
- Male travelers should avoid contact with local women.