Meadow Lake is the main business centre for the area. It is also the gateway outdoor recreational areas.
The tourism, fishing, fur, pulpwood, forestry, agricultural grains, livestock, dairy and poultry product industries all support Meadow Lake.
It was founded as a trading post in 1799, and became a village in 1931 and a town in 1936. In 2009, it became Saskatchewan's 14th city.
Peter Fidler built Bolsover House in 1799 near "Lac des Prairies", the first name given to Meadow Lake. In 1873 Metis families arrived establishing a Hudson's Bay Company trading post, joined by other settlers in the early 1900s. The largest impetus occurred following a fire of 1919 and the exodus of some of the settlers during the Great Depression from the Dust Bowl of central and southern Saskatchewan to communities in the north.
Meadow Lake experiences a subarctic climate that falls just short of being classified as a Humid continental climate.
Meadow Lake sits at the intersection of Highway 4 and Highway 55, about 156 km (97 mi) north of North Battleford and 295 km (183 mi) northwest of Saskatoon.
- 1 Meadow Lake Airport. Small airport near town, no scheduled flights.
The nearest airport with commercial flights is in Saskatoon.
- Mr Taxi ☏
- J M Z Taxi ☏
- Crown Cab ☏ , ☏
- 1 Meadow Lake & District Museum and Tourist Information Centre (Hwy 4 and 9th Ave W), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. May long weekend - Labour Day: daily 10AM-8PM. Exhibits about and artefacts of the area's settlers.
- 1 Meadow Lake Provincial Park (60 km NW of Meadow Lake), ☏ , toll-free: , MeadowLake@gov.sk.ca. Spanning more than 1,600 km2 (620 sq mi) and featuring more than 20 lakes, rivers and streams, Meadow Lake Provincial Park is one of the largest provincial parks in Canada. The park offers fishing and water-based opportunities, beaches, hiking, and picnic areas; contains twelve campgrounds with over 800 campsites.
- 2 Makwa Lake Provincial Park, Loon Lake (60 km W of Meadow Lake on Hwy 304), ☏ , toll-free: , MakwaLake@gov.sk.ca. Made up of an expansive forest connecting five lakes, this park features three campgrounds, multiple sandy beaches, service centres, hiking trails and a beach access wheelchair for persons with mobility needs. While in the area, visit nearby Steele Narrows Provincial Park, the site of the final battle of the North-West Resistance.
- Meadow Lake Golf Club, Hwy 4, Meadow Lake, ☏ , email@example.com. 18 hole golf cours; back nine is mature and well-treed and the front nine has water, plenty of sand, large rolling hills and an abundance of newly planted trees. After a round of golf, enjoy a meal or a beverage in the restaurant, which is open during golf season.
- St. Cyr Trails (17 km E of Meadow Lake on Hwy 55 and 3 km N on Island Hill Rd), firstname.lastname@example.org. The St. Cyr Trails Club maintains year-round hiking, biking, snowshoeing, and cross country ski trails. The trails are located in the boreal forest and pass by a diversity of trees, geological features, and two lakes. Classic ski trails are set on 0.5-, 1-, 2-, 3-, 5-, and 9-km loops, ranging from beginner to expert difficulties. Dogs are welcome, but must be leashed.
- Hunting - there are various outfitters in the area
- Meadow Lake Lions Regional Park, Nesset Lake Recreation Site and Saint Cyr Hills Trails Recreation Site are neighbouring conservation areas.
- Eatery on Main, 226 Centre St, ☏ , email@example.com. M-F 8AM-9PM, Sa 10AM-6PM.
- Garfunkel's Gourmet Grill, 702 9th St W, ☏ . M-F 8AM-0PM, Sa 9AM-10PM. Family restaurant and pub.
- Silver Palace Restaurant, 305 9th St NW, ☏ . M-Sa 11AM-9PM, Su 4-9PM. Chinese food and steaks.
- Empire Hotel, 108 2nd Ave E, ☏ . M-Sa 9:30AM-2AM, Su 9:30AM-midnight.
- Four Seasons Motel, 213 9th St NW, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nor'Wester Motor Inn, 412 9th St W, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Super 8, 702 9th St W, ☏ , toll-free: , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Travelodge, 101 1st St E, ☏ , toll-free: , email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Northwest Health Facility/Meadow Lake Hospital, 711 Centre St, ☏ . 24-hr emergency department.
|Routes through Meadow Lake|
|END ← Meadow Lake Provincial Park ←||N S||→ The Battlefords → Swift Current|
|Athabasca ← Cold Lake ← becomes ←||W E||→ Shellbrook → Prince Albert|