Mexico State (Spanish: Estado de México), often referred to locally as Edomex (a contraction of the full Spanish name), is one of the federal entities of the country of the same name in Central Mexico, surrounding the Federal District and Mexico City on three sides.
- 1 Toluca – capital of the state
- 2 Amecameca – small town near the volcanoes Popocatepetl and Ixtaccihuatl
- 3 Metepec
- 4 Texcoco
This state is the most populous state (16,187,608) in the country and the most densely populated (720/km2). There are an abundance of activities around the state, but most are concentrated around the Mexico City metropolitan area and Toluca, the state capital.
- The flowered gondolas in the floating gardens of Xochimilco are in the south of Mexico City (not Mexico State) but are still worth a trip.
- The Aqueduct of Padre Tembleque Hydraulic System, a UNESCO World Heritage site (partially located in Hidalgo).
- The National Museum of the Viceroyalty is in Tepotzotlán, just outside Mexico City.