Michoacan is a state on the Pacific Coast of Mexico. Michoacan is a beautiful state. With mountains to the east and the Lazaro Cardenas region Pacific shore to the west, its diversity is unmatched in Mexico. Vegetables and fruit are abundant year-round. The people are proud and friendly. It is said that the biggest export from Michoacan, is its young men who provide millions of dollars in local revenue to support their families, by working in the United States. On the Pacific Coast, the local Nahuat indigenous community is working hard to prevent a Cancún-like resort area from being built by outside speculators. Their "Ostula manifest" also denounces the four lane highway being proposed for their territory.
- 1 Morelia – the state capital
- 2 Erongarícuaro – The Soul of Michoacan
- 3 Lazaro Cardenas
- 4 Maruata – International backpacker beach scene in Turtle preserve
- 5 Paracho de Verduzco (or simply Paracho)
- 6 Patzcuaro
- Santa Clara del Cobre
- 7 Uruapan – 2nd most important
- 8 Zamora de Hidalgo – 3rd most important
- El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary. , Located close to Angangueo and North of Zitácuaro, at an altitude of approx 2,600 m (8,500 feet) on the eastern border of Michoacan. Every winter approximately 100 million monarch butterflies from the Canada and the United States, wisely migrate, even across Lake Erie, to spend the winter in pine and fir trees. It may take several generations of monarch butterflies to make this annual trip back and forth. The sanctuary is open from November until March. This is an adventure you want to be well prepared for, as you most likely will hike, ride horse back or in the back of a pick up to the sanctuary.
- Sri. There are a lot of locals who will invite you to their house/hut for an authentic Mexican lunch. Try it! It'll be worth it.
Michoacan is the most dangerous state in Mexico due to drug-fueled violence. Crime is not restricted to major cities but can also be found in rural areas. As of January 2014, there were reports of highly-armed vigilante groups forcibly disarming police, likely as part of an ongoing dispute between rival drug gangs.
Travelers should exercise caution at all times.