Traveling from New York, simply take exit 69 off of the Merritt Pkwy N. You will be on Route 66 in Meriden, and as long as you stay on that road, you will pass right into the north end of Middlefield. From Boston, Middlefield is less than 5 miles off of exit 20 on 91 S. From Providence, just take the route 66 exit off of 9 N, and follow 66 into Middlefield.
As Middlefield is as small geographically as it is in population, there are only two main state highways. Rt. 147 leads south into Durham and north toward Meriden. Rt. 157 heads west toward Wallingford and east toward Middletown. When navigating the town and its innumerable side roads, it is best to pick up a complimentary map from Town Hall, on Jackson Hill Road, just off of 157.
A great place to visit, with whomever you are traveling with, is Wadsworth Falls State Park. There are hiking paths, bike paths, picnic areas, open grass areas for sports, and a 30-foot waterfall. The park was dedicated to and surrounds the Wadsworth Estate, upon which sits Wadsworth Mansion. A quintessential New England Victorian, the mansion is worth a visit, and available for booking of formal tours.
- Lyman Orchards The Apple Barrel is the main store, where you can pick up information on any goings on around the grounds. There are three golf courses, there are seasonal hay rides, a corn maze, live music, frisbee golf, and Pick-Your-Own fruit.
- Beach There is a small beach off Lake Beseck that may be of interest to the traveller.
- Powder Ridge Ski Park is scheduled to reopen in the winter of 2013-14. It has 19 ski trails and mountain biking the rest of the year.
- Wadsworth Falls State Park, The park entrance is at 721 Wadsworth Street, Middletown, but most of the park is in Middlefield. The park is named for the falls pictured at the top of this page. Activities in the park include hiking, pond fishing, stream fishing, mountain biking, swimming, and picnicking.
- Middlefield Pizza & Restaurant, 480 Main St..
- New Guida's Restaurant, 484 Meriden Rd.. Diner establied in 1946.
- Blackbird Tavern, 6 Way Rd. Pub food around $10
- Rovers Lodge, 227 Baileyville Rd.
- Americas Best Value Inn, 31 Meriden Road, ☏ . 20 room Motel. From $59.