Middlefield is a village in Geauga County. Middlefield is known for being the center of the world's fourth largest Amish settlement, and its significant manufacturing base, which includes Gold Key Processing, Duncan Toys and KraftMaid.
The population was 2,700 in 2019.
Because of its central location, home of the areas' public schools and prominent business and retail presence, Middlefield village is considered the hub community for Huntsburg, Parkman, and Middlefield Townships, home to approximately 15,000 total residents.
Once named "Batavia," the village received its current name because it was the midway point between Painesville and Warren. Middlefield was established in 1799 by James Thompson and his father, Isaac Thompson, and incorporated in 1901.
In 1818, James Johnson, who settled at today's Johnson Corners, built a hotel. This hotel, later named the Century Inn, is now the home of the Middlefield Historical Association. The Historical Association operates a small railroad museum in the summers, The Depot, focused on the 1873 narrow gauge railway between Painesville and Warren.
In 2005, Wal-Mart opened a Supercenter in the village. In order to cater to the local Amish population, the Supercenter has an expanded parking lot that includes 37 hitching posts for Amish buggies, and the store is stocked with blocks of ice and fabrics for clothes to be made at home
Middlefield lies on SR87, SR88, and SR528. It is a few miles north of US422.
- Ridgeview Farm Amish Tours, 5488 Kinsman Rd. (Rt. 87), ☏ , ✉ Sharon@ridgeviewfarmtours.com. May 1 - October 31, M-Sa.
- 1 Pysanij Kamin (Писаний Камінь), 17030 Shedd Rd, ☏ . A camp for Ukranian and American Plast scouts.
- Amish Home Craft Shop, 16860 Kinsman Rd., ☏ . M-W F Sa 9AM-4:30PM.
- Countryside Furnishings, 16403 Nauvoo Rd., toll-free: . M-Sa 8AM-5PM.
- J.H. Yoder Carvings, 17746 Pioneer Rd., ☏ .
- Middlefield Original Cheese Co-op, 16942 Kinsman Rd., ☏ . M-Sa 8AM-5PM.
- Miller's Holz Haus, 14540 Old State Road (Rt. 608), ☏ .
- Nauvoo Country Furniture, 15864 Nauvoo Rd., ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM. Wooden toys and crafts.
- Yoder's Furniture, 16100 Shedd Rd., ☏ . M-Sa 9AM-5PM. Handmade furniture
- Big Bill's Burgers, 14895 N State Ave, ☏ .
- The Farm House, 16650 Nash Rd., ☏ , fax: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon. $150/night (Double).
- Middlefield Branch Library, 16167 E High St, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Offers classes and workshops.