Miniatures, dioramas and scale models are scaled (or not so scaled) representations of other objects, which attract traveller interest. Created by skilled model-makers, the objects modelled, the scales used, and the level of detail can be incredible.
- 1 Madurodam, George Maduroplein 1 (tram 9 or 22 (toward Scheveningen Noorderstrand), ☎ . 9AM-6PM daily. This miniature city contains a selection of Dutch architecture, ranging from Amsterdam's canals and church spires from Utrecht and Den Bosch, to modern architecture from Rotterdam and the enormous Delta works that protect the country from the sea. Madurodam also has an airport, a seaport, beaches, and little cars, trams and trains running through the entire town. Madurodam is open year round. €14.50 for adults, €10.50 for children.
France Miniature, Élancourt.
- Miniaturk, along the Golden Horn, Istanbul, features scale models of many landmarks, modern and ancient, some of which are no longer standing, in Turkey and the former Ottoman lands.
Model railroads and Garden "Short-lines"
For miniature railways on which a traveller can ride the trains (not necessarily for the purpose of practical transportation.) also see the subsection of Tourist trains
Model Engineering Club Circuits
- Ridgeway Park, Chingford, Model Engineering Club circuit of 7.25"/5"/3" gauge, and a Gauge One layout. Operates seasonally in summer, Sunday afternoons.
- Harlington Locomotive Society, Club circuit of 5"/3" gauge. Seasonal, Fortnightly weekends in Summer.
- HWSME, Roxbourne Park Railway, Ruislip, Middlesex. Club circuit with 7.25"/5"/3" gauge represented, Seasonal operation, Sunday afternoons.
- Frimley Lodge Minature Railway, Frimley Lodge Park, Frimley Green, Surrey. 7.25". Operates First Sunday of the Month - March 5th-Nov 5 (1100-1600).
- Pendon Museum, Pendon Museum, Long Wittenham, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 4QD, ☎ . 1100-1800. Pendon consists of 2 supererbly detailed model diorama begun in the 1920's which aim to recreate in miniature a representation of English country life of the period, as well as a portion of the Great Western Railway. £7.50 Adult.
- Pollock's Toy Museum, London, England.