Birthplace of General Custer and, unsurprisingly by extension, the Celebratory Hub of Custer Week. Monroe is also home to La-Z-Boy and Monroe Shocks & Struts.
The nearest major airport is Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport.
Lake Erie Transit buses near any drive-by address.
Parking in downtown Monroe is free for one hour; just don't park by a fire hydrant or on a sidewalk.
- 1 George Armstrong Custer Equestrian Monument (at Junction of Elm Avenue and North Monroe Street). Also known as Sighting the Enemy, it was intended to commemorate George Armstrong Custer's actions in the Civil War by depicting him in his Civil War fatigues.
- The Sawyer Homestead, 320 E. Front St. Built by Dr. Isaac Sawyer, in 1872; named possibly to evade confusion with Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer.
- 2 St. Mary's Church. Constructed in the Gregorian year of 1834, consecrated in 1839, and commemorated on November 28, 1889. Tricky to miss.
- 3 River Raisin National Battlefield Park, 1403 East Elm Avenue, ☏ .
- The Monroe County Museum, 126 South Monroe Street.
- Saint Michael the Archangel Church, 502 West Front Street. Roman Catholic
- Saint George Serbian Orthodox Church, 2330 North Monroe Street, ☏ .
- 1 River Raisin Jazz Festival, St. Mary's Park (at the corner of N. Monroe St. and W. Elm Ave. behind the Gen. George A. Custer Monument), ☏ . 2½ days of free live jazz music, a free fine art fair, and free family friendly fun. Concessions provided by the St. Mary Catholic Central Boosters of St. Mary Catholic Central School. Every second week of August.
- 2 Monroe County Fair, 3775 South Custer Road, ☏ . Major county state fair.
- 3 Sterling State Park. The only state park on Lake Erie. In its 1,300 acres are great recreational opportunities of boating, fishing, camping on the lakefront, and viewing wildlife.
- Nortel Lanes Bowling Center, 611 North Telegraph Road, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 1 The Mall of Monroe (Frenchtown Square Mall), 2121 N. Monroe St, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-9PM; Su noon-5PM. Formerly called the Frenchtown Square Mall.
- Book Nook, 42 S. Monroe St. M-Sa 9:30AM to 5PM or 6PM. Founded in 1969.
- Our House Games, 403 East Monroe St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. W-M.
- Public House, 138 North Monroe Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Sa 7AM-10PM, Su 7AM-9PM. Their Happy Hour is on Monday through Friday at 3PM to 5PM. $2-18.
- Joe's French-Italian Inn, 2896 N. Dixie Hwy. (2 miles east off of Exit 15 from Interstate I-75), ☏ . Opens at M-F 11AM, Sa Su at 4PM. Italian and American cuisine since 1930. $2.75-24.
- Detroit Beach Restaurant, 2630 North Dixie High-Way, ☏ . A small family-run business with Italian food.
- Pete's Garage, 930 North Telegraph Rd, ☏ .
- Cravings, 31 East Front St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Monroe’s sweet shop with at least localized adaptations (and a flexible kind of menu).
- McGeady's Town Pub, 39 South Monroe Street, ☏ . Su-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 11AM-2AM. A rustic-style Irish restaurant and public house. $3-13.
- Erie Bread Company, 311 South Monroe Street, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 9AM-6PM. $2.50-9.00.
- 129 Lounge, 129 East Front St, ☏ . M-Sa. One of the venues for the River Raisin Jazz festival.
- Beek's Bar & Grill, 120 East Front St, ☏ . Has wheelchair access.
- Hotel Sterling, 109 West Front St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. With 160 years of history and fresh, cosmopolitan décor, it has rooms with en-suite bathrooms for tourists and business guests. From $112.
- Sunset Motel, 450 N. Telegraph Rd, ☏ .
- Hollywood Motel, 1028 North Telegraph Rd, ☏ .
- Monroe Motel, 15339 S. Telegraph Rd, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn and Suites, 6500 E. Albain Rd (off I-75 at exit 11), ☏ . Pool and hot tub, free breakfast, free wireless internet access, meeting room. Pets welcome for an additional fee.
- The Lotus Bed & Breakfast, 324 Washington St (at the corner of Washington & Fourth Streets), ☏ , ✉ R7347351077@netzero.net. This bed and breakfast is from a restored 1870 Italianate home. $105 a night.
The area code is 734.
|Routes through Monroe|
|Detroit ← Rockwood ← Jct N ←||N S||→ Luna Pier → Toledo|
|Detroit ← Flat Rock ←||N S||→ Toledo → Fort Wayne|
|Jackson ← Dundee ←||W E||→ END|