1 Morpeth station. on the East Coast Main Line, and is served by LNER and Cross Country intercity services as well as Northern local services from Newcastle. It is about 80 mins from Edinburgh, 20 minutes from Newcastle or just over 3 hours from London King's Cross. Just south of the station is the infamous Morpeth curve, reputably the tightest curve on a British main line, which has been the site of several derailments caused by trains travelling too fast around it.
Buses run from Newcastle.
However, the majority of visitors will come from the A1 trunk road from England into Scotland. The modern road bypasses the town to the west.
- 1 Bagpipe Museum, All Saints Chantry, Bridge Street. Mon – Sat 10:00am - 5:00pm. Museum primarily about Northumbrian bagpipes in All Saints Chantry which was built in 1296. Occasional concerts and performances.The building also houses the tourist information centre. free.
- 2 Brinkburn Priory, Longframlington, NE65 8AR (11 miles north of Morpeth), ☏ . adults £3.50, children £2.10, concessions £3.20.
- 3 Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens, Belsay, NE20 0DX (10 miles south-west of Morpeth), ☏ . adults £7.90, children £4.70, concessions £7.10.
- Wednesday Market, Market Place. Wed 9:00 - 16:00. weekly market with 16 - 20 stalls selling a mixture of food and hardware.
- Farmer's Market, Market Place. first sat each month 9:00 - 15:00. monthly market with traders selling stuff (mainly food) that they have made themselves within 50 miles of Morpeth.
- 1 Stepping Stones, 75 Newgate St., ☏ . B&B from £50.
- 2 Morpeth Lodge Guest House, 6 Staithes Lane, ☏ . 21 room lodge from £45.
- 3 Thistleyhaugh Farm, Longhorseley NE65 8RG (off A697 seven miles north of Morpeth), ☏ . Charming B&B in Georgian farmhouse by River Coquet. Open Feb to mid Dec, no dogs. B&B double £110.
- 4 St Mary's Inn, St Mary's Lane, Morpeth NE61 6BL, ☏ . It looks like an old station on the Midlands line, it's actually a converted hospital, now a pub with 11 rooms. Clean, comfy, good eating. B&B double £100.
As of July 2021, Morpeth has 5G from EE and 4G from the other UK carriers.
- South to Cramlington, Wallsend and Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- North to Amble, Alnmouth and Alnwick
- West to Prudhoe, Corbridge and Hexham
|Routes through Morpeth|
|Edinburgh ← Alnwick ←||N S||→ Newcastle-upon-Tyne|