Munger (Hindi: मुंगेर) town is the headquarters of Munger district, in the Indian state of Bihar. Historically, Munger is known for its manufacturing of iron articles such as firearms and swords. It is ancient city of Mahabharata legend Karna, the eldest son of Kunti and Sun Lord.
There are many railway stations here including Monghyr, Lal Darwaza and Purab Sarai, but Jamalpur Junction(JMP) railway station is the main station, having trains from every city of East and North India and also from Mumbai, Bangalore, Nagpur, Guwahati etc.
Jamalpur Junction is on the Gaya-Sahibganj and NewDelhi-Howrah (Kolkata) rail routes. The station is about 6 km from Ganga Darshan campus, which encompasses Bihar Yoga Bharati University. The main train connections include Vikramshila Express, Surat-Bhagalpur Tapti Ganga Express, Farakka Express, Bhagalpur-Muzaffarpur Jansewa Express and Jamalpur-Howrah Express. Traveling south-west, Kiul Junction Railway Station is the main station next to Jamalpur. Going east, Bhagalpur Junction Railway Station is the nearest main station.
Nearest airport is Patna (Jai Prakash Narayan Airport(PAT)) 170 km connected from all major indian cities. Gaya airport(GAY) 185 km away is connected with international destinations such as Kathmandu, Bangkok, Colombo, Rangoon etc
Buses are available from all town in Bihar and major town in East India but Railway is preferred. Chartered cars is available from anywhere in India.
- 1 Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary. A wildlife sanctuary in Bhihar. There several hot springs located here as well as several places of interest nearby. This area of grasslands and forest contains a mixture of flora. A few of the animals to be found include tigers, wild bears, mongoose, snakes and a wide variety of wild bird species.
- Machhli talav (Machhli Pond). This is a temple of Shiva (Shivling). The temple is positioned in the middle of the pond. And is very beautiful. Macchli talav also has a garden.
- 2 Munger Fort. This fort; built on rocky hills, traces its history from about 1330 AD. It contains several important monuments.
- Very cheap and good quality guns. Amazing but true at one side this town gives you peace in Bihar School of Yoga but violence in its great gun factories.
- It also has cigarette factories.
Biharis are fond of food such as Litti chokha and Murga bhat (chicken and rice)
Various places to eat are: shivam, rimjhim, madras coffee house, sudha; many other restaurants are there.
its a saying at every corner you can find a man eating something at a place of eating, Don't forget to have a delicious break fast here that is puri sabji and jalebi.
Munger is also famous for jalebis, rasgullas and creamchops.
At once don't forget to have a nice meal at Yoga Ashram(BSY). And always have an egg roll in the evening at any road side joint.
Lassi is a very healthy drink you can get it anywhere in Munger.
But alcoholic drinks should be taken with great care drinking only the drinks whose names you have heard. Taari can be useful if consumed early morning before sunrise.Though there are many licensed Bear and Alcohol shops. Which are registered nder the bihar government and follows the rule and regulations.
- Raj Palace Hotel, Rajiv Gandhi Chowk, near Taxi Stand. Has 38 rooms, out of which 14 are A/C rooms, 20 are non-A/C rooms, 3 are Deluxe rooms and the remaining 1 is a Suite. The hotel also provides sightseeing packages to the tourists. Facilities include a television, hot/cold water, a doctor on call, travel desk/car rental, car parking, laundry service, a conference hall, pickup and dropoff. ₹400 To ₹1500.
- Raj Hans Hotel, Townhall Road, Chowk Bazaar (Near Town Hall, opposite to Taxi Stand). Has 20 non-A/C rooms. The hotel also provides sightseeing packages. Facilities include hot/cold water, a television, a doctor on call, car parking, and laundry service. ₹200 To ₹300.
100 in any case of emergency. You can not trust strangers here.