Kanpur is the largest city in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India. It was known as Cawnpore in colonial times and is a major industrial centre of North India. The city is famous for its chemical (fertilizer, detergent), textile, and leather industries. The city was also an important British garrison during pre-independence era.
Kanpur a major industrial and commercial city located on the banks of the River Ganges. It has an area of over 1,200 km² (5th largest city in India) and had a population of around 6.1 million in the 2008 census. Kanpur is home to several educational institutions, including an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-Kanpur), CSJM University, Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI), University Institute of Engineering and Technology, GSVM Medical College and Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology (AITH).
Being located on the national corridor of railways the city of Kanpur is well connected with the rest of India by rail services, eg. Shadabti express from Delhi to Kanpur.
It also lies on the Kolkata-New Delhi rail link and hence is connected with Rajdhani expresses (many of them, Howrah rajdhani, Guwahati rajdhani, Bhubaneswar rajdhani).
Main Railway Stations in the City
- 1 Kanpur Anwarganj - Its the oldest railway station of Kanpur. It is connected to Lucknow, Allahabad, Mathura and Gorakhpur as well. Many Express and Passenger trains stop here.
- 2 Kanpur Central, the main railway station of the city lies in the cantt area.It is connected with Jhansi, Lucknow, New Delhi, Agra, Howrah etc. Trains like Shatabdi and Rajdhani have stop here for 5 to 10 min.
- Govind Puri It is the junction Railway station where the line is divided into two parts for Jhansi and New Delhi. Ticket Room and overbridge are also situated here.
- Panki, This station has only many Express trains on Delhi-Lucknow and Delhi-Kolkata route.
- Rawatpur, one of the main stations in the city to catch trains to & from Farrukhabad & Kasganj.
Even though Kanpur has an airport, there are only six flights per week to Delhi and three per week to Kolkata operated by Air India. If flying from any other city, you can take an Air India flight to Delhi (get your luggage checked through to avoid confusion - Air India offers the service), and then take an Air India flight from Delhi to Kanpur.
Many travelers to/from Kanpur also use the airport at the neighboring city of Lucknow. Lucknow Airport is well-connected to many cities in India and the Middle East. It is about 70 Kilometers from Kanpur. From Lucknow airport one can take a taxi, bus (AC or non-AC) or train to come to Kanpur. Please note that Buses are available from ‘Alambag Bus Stop, Lucknow’ which is 6 km away from the Airport and Trains are available from ‘Charbagh, Lucknow’ which is 10 KMs away from the Airport. However taxis can be taken from airport itself.
The flights to Kanpur and Lucknow are generally reliable and timely, but may get delayed or diverted during winter (Dec-Jan) when the region often experiences dense fog. Trains too get affected. Plan your travel accordingly and allow for possible delays.
Kanpur is well connected with Road, NH 2 and NH 25 passes nearby. The NHs which passes to Kanpur are NH 2,NH 25,NH 86 and NH 91. Kanpur has two major bus station. The very important bus station of Kanpur is Jhkarkati bus Station. Many Volvo buses especially Royal Cruiser which go to Delhi, Jaipur and Agra.
There are city buses run by UPSRTC under JNNURM. These buses offer cheaper rates than auto rickshaws. AC low floor city buses that are very comfortable cost the most to ride. Some other types of buses are non-AC low floor, minibuses and low floors which also offer low rates.
By auto rickshaw
You can travel using an auto rickshaw or the tempo called Vikram. Vikram is the cheapest mode of transport but a pain to travel. However, Vikram drivers have a fixed rate for point-to-point travels and its an experience in itself when 10 people (+driver) travel in one Vikram. The quality of auto rickshaws in Kanpur is also pathetic and there is not fixed rate or meter system. You have to bargain with the driver.
By cycle rickshaw
There is no standard or norm for the price of cycle rickshaws. They can be found on the main road and smaller roads.
Private taxis like Ambassdor, vans and other cars are available from Canal Road Taxi Stand and from various hotels and travel agencies.
- 1 Allen Forest Zoo (Kanpur Zoo). Biggest park in Kanpur City. This is the second best zoo in UP and third biggest zoo in India. Greenery and vastness of the zoo will capture any visitors attention. The natural surroundings in which animals are kept is a nice change from the caged variety that you see around other zoos.
- 2 Ganga Barrage. A dam built across Ganges River near Old Kanpur. Contains Boating Club.
- Gautam Buddha Park (On the way to IIT Campus). This is the latest addition to Kanpur city. With its huge area and greenery, it makes a good weekend picnic spot.
- Gora Cemetery. A cemetery of British militants situated near Civil Lines.
- Habiba Masjid (17 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a popular mosque from Kanpur.
- 3 Harcourt Butler Technological Institute (HBTI). This is a premier Engineering College in the region. This is the oldest engineering college of North India, after Roorkee. This was established in 1921 by the then Governor of United Province (now Uttar Pradesh) Sir Harcourt Butler. It has a sprawling 280 acres lush green campus having almost all the branches of engineering and Chemical-Technology.
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) (On the western side of the Kanpur). Campus in a isolated place with greenery and calm environment.
- ISCKON Temple, singpur ,bithoor. ISCKON Temple. Best to go on sundays
- Jama Masjid, Patkapur (In the heart of city near Nana Rao Park). This is a biggest and popular mosque of Kanpur.
- JK Masjid, near new chungi jajmau kanpur-208010 (18 km from Kanpur in Jajmau). This is a mosque from Kanpur.
- Kamla Retreat. Kamla Retreat,a museum established by JK Group. It contain many items and many other things.
- 4 Kanpur Sanghralaya. Kanpur Sanghralaya,a museum established by Britishers. It contain old pictures,Books,items and many other things.
- 5 Kanpur Memorial Church, Albert Lane, Cantonment. Kanpur Memorial Church,a church established by Britishers. It contain old fountains,Books,items and many other things.
- 6 Massacre Ghat. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form.
- 7 Nana Rao Park, Mall Rd, Phool Bagh Chauraha, Phool Bagh, Civil Lines. Site of the Cawnpore massacre during the Indian Mutiny/War of Independence/Rebellion of 1857. The circular ridge of the well where the bodies of women and children were deposited is still visible and prominent figure of the Rebel forces, Tantya Tope, is represented at the park in statue form.
- 8 Shri Radha Krishna Temple (Popularly known as JK Temple), Govind Nagar (In the heart of the city near Gumti no. 5 and Pandav Nagar). Wonderful piece of architecture and art and you must see this monument if you visit Kanpur. The Temple has statues of Lord Krishna, Lord Shiva, Lord Hanuman, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Rama. The illuminated towers of the temple can be seen from quite a distance at night. On Sundays, it is usually very crowded at summers as people try to get some relief from the high temperatures in the greenery and openness of the Temple premises.
- 9 Vaisno Devi Mandir, Karrhi, Damodar Nagar. 05:30am to 9:30pm. Hindu Temple ₹2 par tiket.
- 10 Bithoor (25 km from Kanpur city). This is a popular getaway from Kanpur. This is a riverside of Holy Ganges river. Do take a boat ride across the river. There are no active lifeguards at this place so be cautious about swimming.
- 1 Sports Village (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park.
- 2 Ekta Park (Near Pandu River). Amusement Park.
- 3 Blue World Theme Park (Near Suburb of Mandhana). Amusement Park.
- 4 Golf Club. Play golf every morning by joining club.
- 5 Mahatma Gandhi park. Do boating at Mahatma Gandhi park.
- 6 Motijheel. Walk in the morning at Motijheel.
- 7 Rave moti. Watch movies at Rave moti, Rave 3 and Zsquare mall.
- 8 Jungle Water Park (Bithoor Road). Amusement Park.
- 9 Micky House, Swatantara Senani Marg, K Block (Kidwai Nagar). Amusement Park.
Kanpur is famous for leather goods. The main shopping centres in the city are; The Mall, Birhana Road, Gumti No. 5, Parade, Naveen Market, Meston road and P.P.N. Market. The city centre also offers the shopper a delightful array of State Emporia, viz. UPICA, UP Handloom Emporium, The Mall; Phulkari, Punjab Emporium and Manjusha, Bengal Emporium, The Mall.
- Check out the market of Naveen market, ppn market, mall road, arya nagar, swaroop nagar, tilak Nagar, gumti no 5
- Check out the value for money clothes specially for ladies you will get in Beconganj area, This place is Hub for all the hand embroidered High , Medium and value for Money works ,Good Boutiques Like Khanam's are in the Vicinity.
- Leather Goods on Meston Raod (Bada Chauraha). Meston road is also good for all other day-to-day items.
- Clothes at Gumti no. 5, Naveen Market, P. Road. Also find wholesale markets at Navghada, General Gunj
- Utensils, Sarees, Bangles and lot of other stuff at reasonable rates at Sisamau. Utensils can also be found at Hatiya.
- Christ Church College
- 1 Khanam's, 97/11 Kayasthana Road (Talaq Mohal, Colonelganj), ☎ . , 11:00~21:00. Female Clothing Range , Boutique and fashion Point , High end hand Embroidered Suits , wedding Gowns and Wedding suits at very getteable price ( accept all major Credit Cards )
- 2 Z Square Mall. Z Square Mall,a mall established by ZAZ Tanners. It contain anchors like Westside, Lifestyle, Jambo Electronics, Big Bazaar and all other big showrooms.
- Rave@Moti Mall. Rave@Moti Mall,a mall established by Jagran Team. It contain anchors BIG BAZAAR,Pantaloons etc..
Kanpur is a great place for Chat lovers, the city is planked with chat shops serving pani puri, allu tikki, dahai chat etc.
A popular food junction is the lane at Arya Nagar, with eateries serving everything from chat, South Indian, biryani, egg rolls, burgers, chats to ice creams.
For a range of multi cuisine restaurants visit The Mall, Naveen Market, Civil Lines, Sarvodaya Nagar (Moti Rave) and Swaroop Nagar, restaurants open to 11PM. Check out Aromas in Swaroop Nagar for some awesome burgers. Try the mushroom burger if you are the adventurous kind, you will not be disappointed.
No meal in Kanpur can be completed without eating paan, hence, if you are near Cantt, the mall road, near Phool Bagh gives you excellent paan options, or may just drive till Birhana road and grab a paan there. Around the other side however, the lane near Halet, is a haven of paan vendors. With alternating medicine and CT scan clinics, the paans here are the best in the city. The paan shops are open comfortably till 2AM. Perfect reason to go out on a drive.
- Aromas, Swaroop Nagar. fast food point.
- Baba biryani, Swaroop Nagar,beconganj. Biryani.
- Banarsi ke ladoo. Serves the best boondi ladoos, which are world famous. Infact from a small shop banarsi has grown into a huge store with lots of branches all over the city. The sweet store always has a huge line outside it during all festivities, where the ladoos need to be booked in advanced. Its ladoos have travelled to America also, and is a hot favourite.
- Ghosh Misthan Bhandar, 80 Feet Road. Among the famous sweets in Kanpur are Rasgolla from this shop.
- Hanuman Chat, P. Road. Chat
- Hathras, Meston Road. Chat.
- Makhan Singh, Arya Nagar. Biryani.
- Peru, Bakarmandi. Biryani.
- Rakesh Biryani, Parade. Do try n scorp Rakesh Ki Biryani in " Kanpur" at Navin Market.
A small standing-only place near the Parade Chauraha, the aroma of mouthwatering Chicken Biryani will wipe out all thoughts of chicken flu from your mind. After you dig into the food, you may even end up walking away with a parcel for the evening. I say a parcel for dinner because this place shuts at 3 pm. So drop in between 11.30 am and 3 pm. And, it is closed on Tuesdays. An apology to vegetarians. This place does not cater to them.
- Ram Mishthan Bhandar, Sisamau, Jawahar Nagar. A famous sweet shop offering varieties of mouth watering sweets and snacks and its "Peda" is very famous around the globe.
- Shanker, Birhana Road. Chat.
- Thaggu ke Ladu (Next to Somdutt Plaza). This is a small shop. Specialty of this shop are ladoos (balls of dried milk) and icecream. Although high in calories, ladoos are very delicious. Bunty & Babli was also shot here.
- Baba, Z Square Mall,Bekanganj. Non Veg.
- Celebration Point, M.G Marg.
- The Chat, Swaroop Nagar. Chat.
- Chin mi. Authentic Chinese.
- Chung Fa (Mall St.). Authentic Chinese.
- 0512, Civil Lines. Fast food, named for the telephone code of Kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the Indian style pizza and pasta.
- Energy Point, Swaroop Nagar. Biryani.
- Kwality, Mall Road. Old and popular this is with its charms of a diner which serves au gratin/baked vegetables still as a delicacy, and where tutti frutti and its famous pudding essentially close a meal. Must try are the desserts here, they are irresistible.
- McDonald, Z Square Mall,Rave 3 Mall,South X Mall,Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of Kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially for burgers.
- Moti Mahal, Mega Mall. Fast food, named for the telephone code of Kanpur, it offers a range of delicacies, specially the Indian style foods and Many types of Non Veg.
- Palate. Multi-cuisine restaurant: Continental/Mexican/Chinese.
- 1 Pandit (Restaurant), katheri Bagh, Cantts (near Murry Co. Bridge). 7am To 11 PM. Serving Indian, Continental,rajasthani,South Indian,Chinese, Chaat, Paani Poori and world famous Laddus alongwith an exotic range of Indian Sweets. 100% Vegetarian all preparations in Cow Ghee. Best Packed Thali for travel served in trains
- Shahi Darbar, Parade. Biryani.
- Tandoori nights, Swaroop Nagar. Biryani.
- 2 Antarang, Rave 3 Mall, Parwati Bagla Rd, Rave 3 Multiplex (Tilak Nagar). 11AM–11PM.
- KFC, The Mall. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- The Landmark Restaurant, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food,Ice Cream,Southern Cuisine, Thalis Continental and Western Style Food.
- Little Chef, Civil Lines. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- 3 Mehfil Restaurant, 16/12, Near Airtel Office, Civil Lines, ☎ . 12–11PM. Fast food, one of first restaurants to have started the fast food craze, still offers wonderful ice-creams.
- Moti Mehal, The Mall. Traditional Indian Food and Western Style Food.
Mufarra is a red drink which you can drink in summer for getting relief from the heat. This is easily available in shops.
Pubs and bars
There are pubs at Landmark Hotel and at the new malls.
Cafes and teahouses
- Banarsi Tea Shop (At Motijheel Chauraha crossing). Famous tea vendor who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his tea, especially in the morning.
- Barista Coffee (At all shopping malls). Famous coffee shop who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his coffee, especially in the morning.
- Cafe Coffee Day (At All shopping malls). Famous coffee shop who sells only tea and there are always flocks of people waiting to have his coffee, especially in the morning.
There are a number of hotels on Mall Road and G.T Road.
- 1 Hotel Akashdeep International, Shop No. 58/107, Birhana Road, Mall Road, Civil Lines (opp Phool Bagh, The Mall.), ☎ .
- 2 Hotel Atithi, Mall Rd, The Mall, Phool Bagh, Civil Lines.
- 3 Geet Hotel, 18/174-175, opp. Phool Bagh, The Mall, ☎ .
- 4 Hotel Gagan Plaza, 63/6,The Mall, ☎ . Offers 39 air-conditioned rooms and suites, fitted with a 100-channel cable TV, bathroom with hot and cold water, refrigerator and internet access. It houses two conference rooms that can fit up to 150 and 500 persons, and party and marriage lawn that can accommodate up to 1,000 guests.
- 5 Hotel Little Chef Kanpur, 15/198 - A, Civil Lines., ☎ . Three-star hotel offering nine superior rooms and 12 suites, all with individually-controlled air-conditioning, private bath with hot and cold water, and refrigerator. It also has a conference facility and restaurant that can accommodate up to 250 persons. 67 $per night (2016).
- 6 [dead link]Hotel Mandakini, 40/69B, Hospital Road Parade, The Mall, ☎ . Best rates on official website start at ₹1,190.00.
- [dead link]Hotel Paradise, 16/62, Shri Krishana Tower Civil Lines, ☎ . Best rates on official website start at ₹1,190.00.
- Hotel Vijay Villa Kanpur, Tilak Nagar. Hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city. Room rate starts at ₹2,500++.
- 7 Best Western Bliss, 111-A/5, G.T. Road, Near Gumti Gurudwara, ☎ . The hotel offers an excellent view from the rooftop garden to the nearby lake. Also has a restaurant. Free breakfast, WiFi & parking
- 8 Hotel Mahadeva Regency, 14/124, Parade, The Mall, ☎ . The rooms are air conditioned. Free airport and railway station transfers.
- 9 Landmark Hotel, Landmark Towers 10, The Mall, ☎ . Five-star hotel rising high above the high-rise landscape of the city's Mall Road area.
- 1 Chitrakoot — about 200 km from Kanpur, it is a town of religious, cultural, historical and archaeological importance, situated in the Bundelkhand region
- 3 Khajuraho — about 217 Km from Kanpur, this town is famous for groups of Hindu and Jain temples. These temples are a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- 4 Orchha — about 240 Km, the medieval city of Orchha seems to have been frozen in time with many of its palaces and temples retaining their original grandeur to this day