Naryan-Mar is the capital of Nenetsia, located on the Pechorin River well beyond the Arctic Circle. It is the largest town in Nenetsia and serves as a "hub" for the surrounding area as well as a principal river port, sea port, and airport. Due to its strategic location and booming oil business, the city has developed rapidly in the last few years and has reached some of the highest living standards in Russia.
Being an oil hub has also led to a price-hike and tourists should bear in mind that prices are well above average compared to other Russian towns. Still, Naryan-Mar retains many features of a true frontier town.
Naryan-Mar is on the Pechora River, 110 km from the mouth on the Barents Sea. An important transport hub of the region, it is connected by its airport and river port to settled points along the Northern Sea Route and south into the Komi Republic.
4 km down the Pechora river from Naryan-Mar is the village of Iskateley (Russian: Искателей, Nenets: Iskatel), which is functionally almost a neighborhood of Naryan-Mar, though it is administratively separate.
The distance to Arkhangelsk is 650 kilometers; along the waterway through the White Sea and Barents Sea - 1100 km.
Naryan-Mar Airport (IATA: NNM) is the main port of entry here, with flights from Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Arkhangelsk, Kirov, Usinsk. and Syktyvkar. The airport also operates local flights to most settlements of the Nenets Autonomous Okrug.
Naryan-Mar may be the largest town in Nenetsia, but that just is not that big — all that there is to see can be seen easily on foot within an hour or two.
- 1 Naryan-Mar post office. The town's symbol is a large and beautiful, almost Victorian-looking, wooden post office.
- An Orthodox Church
- WWII memorial
- The town harbor
- 2 Museum-Reserve "Pustozersk" (Музей-заповедник "Пустозерск"), Ulitsa Tyko Vylki, 4, ☏ . Tu-F 09ː00-17ː00, Sa 11ː00-17ː00, closed Su & M. Offers insights into the first Russian town claimed to be built in the Arctic.
- 3 Krayevedcheskiy Muzey (Краеведческий Музей), Ulitsa Pobedy, 5 (just a half block away from the Pustozersk reserve museum), ☏ . Tu-Sa 10ː00-18ː00. The local history museum pertaining to Naryan-Mar and Nenetsia.
- 1 Restaurant Museum Timan, Ulitsa Lenina (at intersection of Ul. Lenina and Ul. Pervomayskaya), ☏ . daily Noon-Midnight. A museum-themed eatery. Maybe not for those who are not into taxidermy much though.
- 1 Zapolyarnaya Stolitsa or Polar Capital (Заполярная столица), ul. Lenina 33B, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Newly-built business hotel, and probably the best in town, with nice rooms and on-site restaurant serving hearty Russian cuisine. Rooms from 5400 руб.
- 2 67 parallel (Гостиница 67 параллель), Polyarnaya st. 7, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. The hotel is located in five minutes of a foot walk from the center of Naryan-Mar – on Polyarnaya Street the house 7. From windows of hotel "67th parallel" the magnificent view to Naryan-Mar opens. The hotel has own parking. Our guests appreciate hotel the high level of service and a convenient arrangement in the city. All most important sights of Naryan-Mar – within walking distance. To the river station and the coast of Big Pechora only five hundred meters. Rooms from 3000 руб.