- 100 Foot Wave. Premiering 18 July 2021, 100 Foot Wave is an six-part HBO documentary about American surfer Garrett McNamara and how he helped make Nazaré a world-famous surfing destination.
- 1 Posto de Informação e Turismo (PIT), Avenida Vieira Guimarães (Mercado Municipal), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Oct–Apr 09:30–13:00 & 14:30–18:00, May Jun Sep 09:30–13:00 & 14:30–19:00, Jul Aug 09:00–19:00.
- 2 Posto de Informação e Turismo (PIT), Largo Nossa Senhora de Nazaré - Santuário, Sítio, ☏ , email@example.com. Oct–Apr 09:30–13:00 & 14:30–18:00, May Jun Sep 09:30–13:00 & 14:30–19:00, Jul Aug 09:00–19:00.
- 1 Nazaré bus station, Avenida do Município.
- Rede Expressos, ☏ . Express bus service from Lisbon (at Sete Rios) and other cities. €12 from Lisbon.
- Rodoviária do Oeste, ☏ . Regional bus company connecting Nazaré with other communities in the Oeste region.
- Comboios de Portugal ( CP, Trains of Portugal), ☏ . PDF timetable. CP's Linha do Oeste (Western Line) offers multiple daily Regional and InterRegional trains connecting with cities along Portugal's west coast, including Lisbon, Torres Vedras, Caldas da Rainha, Leiria, Figueira da Foz, Coimbra, and points in between. Old infrastructure and meandering hills mean that the train is often slower than the bus.
- 2 Valado–Nazaré–Alcobaça train station, Valado dos Frades. The train station nearest the town of Nazaré lies in an outlying village.
- 3 Famalicão da Nazaré train halt.
Nazaré municipality is on the A8 motorway from Lisbon and Leiria. To reach the town proper, use the connecting roads N8-5 or IC9. N242 also serves the town from Leiria, Marinha Grande, São Martinho do Porto, and Alfeizarão.
Walk through the village, use the tramway to the top of the hill and enjoy the fabulous view over Praia da Nazaré. If you can, watch the international surfing championships on the lighthouse's slope.
- 4 Ascensor da Nazaré (Nazaré Funicular, Elevador da Nazaré), Rua de São Lázaro, ☏ . This funicular railway connects the beach with the upper town at Sítio. Adult one way €1.50, adult round trip €2.90, child one way €1, child round trip €1.90.
- 1 Ermida da Memória (Chapel of Memory), Rua 25 de Abril 17. In a place named O Sítio is a Marian chapel built in memory of the miracle of Our Lady of Nazaré. It is on a hill with a wonderful view of the beach of Nazaré. There is a tramway to the top.
- 2 Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré (Sanctuary of Our Lady of Nazaré), Largo de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré. An important Marian shrine which houses the original image of Our Lady of Nazaré.
- 3 Forte de São Miguel Arcanjo (Fort of São Miguel Arcanjo). Go out to the lighthouse and watch the Atlantic Ocean's big waves crash against the cliffs.
- 4 Praia da Nazaré (Nazaré Beach). A great beach with excellent conditions for swimming and leisure at the summer.
- 5 Praia do Norte (North Beach). A vast expanse of beach. Caution: Dangerous swimming. In November 2011, surfer Garrett McNamara surfed a record-breaking giant wave with 78 feet (23.8 m) and it was inscripted in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Use the beach.
- See a bullfight in the Praca do Touros (O Sitio).
- Walk the white streets of the city.
- Visit the market.
It's a holiday village all year around (though some accommodations and restaurants are closed in the winter season). Take pictures of Nazaré beach from O Sítio; ask local ladies (who traditionally wear seven skirts) if you can take a photo with them.
Buy the traditional Nazaré dolls and make a decorative use with them (or even for private collection). Buy also a replica of the miraculous statue of Our Lady of Nazaré.
There are lots and lots of small cheap restaurants, where they are grilling fish (sardines, etc.), chickens outside. Normally it pays off to frequent the smaller streets. On the waterfront and major squares you will find it much more expensive. Lots of nice cafés on the Praça Sousa Oliveira. Not cheap but with a good view of the bustling life.
- 1 Casa Pires "A Sardinha", Largo de Nossa Senhora da Nazaré, 44, ☏ . Typical restaurant of Nazaré that favors the dishes with grilled fish and seafood. It has an esplanade overlooking the Basilica of Our Lady of Nazaré.
- 2 Marisqueira "O Casalinho", Praça Sousa Oliveira 6, ☏ . Restaurant next to the beach and with Portuguese traditional food.
- 3 Rosa dos Ventos, Rua Gil Vicente 88, ☏ . F–W 12:00–15:15 & 19:00–21:30, Th closed. Fresh seafood.
Arriving at the bus station one will normally be "hijacked" by a group of women who offer private rooms. It's quite cheap, normally central and the easiest way to get a place to sleep (follow the woman of your choice to see the quarters, but beware – they're very fast).
There are hotels and pensions to be booked in advance but it's more (much more) expensive and you won't be able to experience the charm of living in a private home, where the family has moved out (or into one little room) so they can rent the other rooms out.
- 1 Hotel Mar Bravo, Praça Sousa Oliveira 71, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 12:00. This 16-room, three star hotel is right on the beach. It features a seafood restaurant. Free breakfast buffet. €62–€138.
- 2 Hotel Maré, Rua Mouzinho de Albuquerque 10, ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00–18:00, check-out: 08:00–12:00. Three star, 46-room hotel just steps from the beach. €49–€98.
- 3 Hotel Miramar Sul, Caminho Real, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 14:00–00:00, check-out: 08:00–12:00. Four-star, 62-room hotel in the Leiria Pine Tree Forest near the beach. Amenities include free Wi-Fi, free parking, pool, restaurant, and room service. €60–€137.
- 4 Ohai Nazaré Outdoor Resort (formerly Vale Paraíso), Estrada Nacional 242, km 31.5, ☏ , email@example.com. Set in a pine forest, Ohai offers bungalows, glamping tents, and camping pitches. They have a water park, several pools, a spa, and other leisure activities, many targeted at children. €37-130.
- Villa Vida Nova Silver Coast, Rua Bartolomeu Dias 30B, firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16.00, check-out: 10.00. Villa Vida Nova Silver Coast
"Beautiful 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom villa with pool for your family vacation. The villa, constructed in 2020 and furnished in 2022 has every modern convenience you could wish for. Close to Salgado beach and just a few minutes drive to the quaint fishing village of Sao Martinho do Porto with its calm waters and abundant restaurants. Just a short drive to the Hustle and Bustle of Nazare and its world record waves! Just an hours easy drive from Lisbon Airport. An Ideal location for beach lovers, hikers and those just wanting to chill out.". From 995.
- Fátima – Place of the worldwide famous Marian apparitions at Sanctuary of Our Lady.
- Alcobaça – Well known for its monastery and monastic pastry.
- Batalha – Well known for its monastery.
- Caldas da Rainha – Charming, unassuming city to experience authentic daily Portuguese life
- Coimbra – Easily reached with a bus (leave in the morning - return in the afternoon/evening) if you want a day without sunbathing on the beach.
- Leiria – Home to a restored medieval castle.
- Óbidos – A visit to this town could be made en route to Lisboa. (Get off at the Obidos train station, deposit your luggage and walk up to the city.) A tour of the town walls gets you some fine views. But it´s a sleepy town and they know what to charge for a meal.
- Peniche– Beaches and water sports, with access to the Berlengas archipelago.
- Tomar– Many interesting sights, including Convent of Christ, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.