Newcastle Emlyn (Welsh: Castellnewydd Emlyn) is a market town located in both Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire, straddled across the River Teifi, located halfway between the towns of Carmarthen and Cardigan.
A thriving market town, Newcastle Emlyn is an exceptional welsh country town with a bustling community that belies its rural location.
Newcastle Emlyn lies 10 miles east of Cardigan on the A484.
Although there is no train link to Newcastle Emlyn, it is located at the epicentre of numerous bus routes with many rural activities easily accessible.
- 1 Newcastle Emlyn Castle. At the centre of Newcastle Emlyn is the ruined 13th century castle, the only native Welsh castle to be built in stone in this area of Wales. Well worth a visit for any day in Newcastle Emlyn, the castle is located in substantial grounds, surrounded on two sides by the River Teifi.
- 2 Cenarth Falls. cascade of waterfalls
- 3 [dead link] National Coracle Centre.
- 4 West Wales Museum of Childhood, Llangeler.
- 5 National Wool Museum, Dre-fach Felindre, near Newcastle Emlyn, Llandysul, SA44 5UP, ✉ email@example.com.
- cattle market. Local farmers flock to the cattle market that takes place every Thursday in the central car park. Definitely a highlight for any visit to Newcastle Emlyn.
- Newcastle Emlyn swimming pool. offers a wide range of activities including fun swims, aqua aerobics and an active diving club.
- 1 Teifi Valley Railway. narrow gauge railway (work in progress)
A variety of shops exist in Newcastle Emlyn, everything from local artists to knick knacks and antiques. Its easy to while away a day along the high street.
- farmers market. takes places every Friday morning, although be there early to get the best choice as locals and visitors alike can be found purchasing fruit and vegetables from local farms.
For a tea break during the day, numerous charming cafes are dotted along the high street, offering good quality food. For more substantial repasts, a variety of restaurants including Fish & Chips, Indian, Kebab & Pizza are available.
Several pubs offer welcome refreshment, from modern chic to traditional country pubs.
- [dead link] Gwesty'r Emlyn Hotel, Bridge St., ☏ .
- Cardigan Bay heritage sites and dolphin boat tours
- Brechfa Forest bike routes and forest walks.