A local bus firm called Valley Retriever runs a bus service to and from Newport, linking the city to Salem and Portland; this service is linked to the Greyhound network and can be booked through them. Greyhound also offer a bus link from Eugene.
There are a few different ways that you can arrive in Newport by road, and here are the three main ones that any tourist should know about.
- Coming from the Northern Oregon Coast, just take Hwy 101 until you run right on into it.
- Coming from the Southern Oregon Coast, just take Hwy 101 until you run right on into it.
- If you are coming from either direction on Interstate 5, take the exit marked ORE 34. It will be accompanied by signs such as "Corvallis" and "Oregon State University". Upon taking this exit, follow Hwy 34 towards Corvallis until you see signs for HWY 20, proceeded by signs such as "Oregon Coast" and "Philomath". Once you get on HWY 20, all you do is follow it right through Philomath and all the way to Newport. It is a beautiful drive and it takes you through a few really quaint little towns such as Blodgett, Eddyville, and even parts of Toledo.
When it comes to getting around in Newport, it all depends on the weather. The temperature varies a bit from season to season, but it pretty much stays between 50 and 70 degrees throughout the whole year. When the rain holds off, walking and biking are huge modes of transportation, and they sure do save you some money too. HWY 101 would have to be the easiest way of getting just about anywhere in Newport that you wanted to go. If you take it to the South side of town, it will take you across the bridge to our famous Aquarium and Rogue Brewery. However, if you choose to see the light house or the bayfront, right before you cross the Newport Bridge, HWY 101 will also give you the opportunity to hook to the right and follow the signs that will lead you to the two destinations. All of the grocery stores and convenience stores are mainly located on HWY 101 as well, along with a few pretty good restaurants. A few other streets to look for while you're in Newport are:
- Ocean Dr.: This street will take you along the northern part of Newport's Coast. While on it you will located a number of very nice hotels to choose from, along with one of Newport's most famous restaurants, "Georgie's Bar and Grill", towards the northern end of it.
- Eads St.: This street you will find yourself passing if you are coming into town from HWY 20. It is a rather short street, but will give you a nice idea of what our neighborhoods are like, along with presenting to you Newport's high school.
- Bayfront Dr.: The name of the street says it all, but in case you have never heard of Newport's Bayfront, this road will take you right along it, showing off all of Newport's unique and enjoyable antique and entertainment shops. You will find certain attractions such as "Ripley's Believe It or Not" and "Wax Works" on this street as well.
- 1 Oregon Coast Aquarium, 2820 SE Ferry Slip Rd, ☏ . After Labor Day to Memorial Day Weekend 10AM-5PM daily. Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend 9AM-6PM daily. Adults $13.25, Seniors: (65+),$11.25, Youth: (3-12) $7.75, under 3 free. One of Newport's most famous attractions! Located in South Beach, right across the Newport Bridge on the southern side. It has it all folks! From sharks and exotic fishes to sea turtles and native birds, if you haven't visited this special place, you should put it high on your priorities list of things to do while visiting.
- Ripley's Believe It or Not. Located on Newport's Bayfront, this fun tourist attraction will shock and amaze you, along with expanding your realm of what is possible for the human race to accomplish. Tons of incredible facts and "did you know" type visuals will keep you entertained your whole way through the maze. The only scary thing is, it's all true!
- Wax Works. Located on Newport's Bayfront, right next to "Ripley's Believe It Or Not", this cool attraction will amaze anyone who appreciates amazing art. This attraction will take you through exhibits that will show you what some people are capable of doing with wax and a sculptor. You won't believe that they're man made, but just remember this, anything is possible with time.
- 2 Hatfield Marine Science Visitor's Center, 2030 SE Marine Science Dr (South Beach area, near Aquarium), ☏ . This visitor center focuses on the scientific research done here by Oregon State University, and exhibits are designed for families. It features a giant Pacific octopus caught from nearby waters. Check website for octopus feeding times. Free.
- Marine Discovery Tours, 345 SW Bay Blvd, ☏ . 9 - 5PM Daily; 9 - 9PM Summer. 2-hour Sea Life Cruise programs feature storytelling by naturalists; hands-on activities - crab pot pulls, plankton tows and helping the captain drive the largest excursion boat on the coast. Adults $36, Seniors: (65+),$34, Youth: (4-12) $18, under 4 free..
- 1 Yaquina Head Lighthouse/Outstanding Natural Area, ☏ . 9AM-5PM (summer). 360 degree views of land and sea from inside the lighthouse and out, especially along the hike to the top of Salal Hill. Bring a jacket! $7.00.
- 2 Yaquina Bay Lighthouse/ State Recreation Site, ☏ . Free.
- 3 South Beach State Park.
- 4 Beverly Beach State Park, ☏ .
- 1 Made in Oregon, 342 SW Bay Blvd., ☏ . Daily 10am-5pm.
- 2 Pirates Plunder, 3145 SE Ferry Slip Rd, ☏ . 10am-5pm daily. Antique mall adjacent to Oregon Coast Aquaruim
- Ocean Bleu at Gino's, 808 SW Bay Blvd, ☏ . 11AM - 9PM. Offers the best fish & chips (or oysters, or shrimp, or many other choices) in town. Portions are generous, atmosphere is informal. Local seafood is also available at the on-site fish market.
- Georgie's Bar & Grill, 744 SW Elizabeth St, ☏ . An amazing view of Newport's Coastline, along with some of the best seafood and steaks in town! Recommended dishes: Spicy Ahi Tuna, Diablo Pasta, Cobb Salad and Venison Chili.
- Kum Yon's Chinese Cuisine, 1006 SW Coast Hwy, ☏ . Great atmosphere, easy to find, and even better dishes. This local Chinese restaurant has an incredibly large menu to choose from, and even includes a few delicious sushi options. Some definite must tries are: Mongolian Beef, General's Chicken, Tako Sashimi and Black Peppered Shrimp.
- Canyon Way Cafe, 1216 SW Canyon Way, ☏ . A cute and comfy little cafe that is absolutely wonderful to stop in for a quick lunch. Their sandwiches are of top quality and they aren't too shabby at baking delicious pastries and other treats of the sort. A few favorites: Triple Fudge Brownie, The Gobbler Sandwich, The Mediterranean Muncher and Cranberry Coffee Cake.
- Sharks Seafood Bar & Steamer Co, 852 SW Bay Blvd, ☏ . Cozy, friendly nautical atmosphere. Seafood prepared without the grease. Local seafood steamed to perfection. Full bar, Oregon wines.Watch your meal prepared in its own kettle! Cioppino rated "Best of the West" by Sunset Mag. Enjoy Crab and fish entrees, Cioppino, Bouillabaisse, Curry and Gumbo, Steamer Clams, Oysters and Fresh Local Seafoods.
- Brewer's on the Bay (Rogue Brewery), 2320 OSU Dr, ☏ .
- Rogue Public House, 748 SW Bay Blvd, ☏ .
- Rogue Brewery, 2320 OSU Dr. Located in South Beach right next to the Aquarium. This is a must visit attraction for anyone who is a fan of beer. Recommended beers include Shakespeare Stout, Russian Imperial Stout, Morimoto Soba, Buckwheat and Hazelnut Brown Nectar. And don't you think that there is nothing for the youngsters to do while visiting. The brewery has an incredible gift shop and restaurant to keep every age entertained!
- Georgie's Bar and Grill, 744 SW Elizabeth St, ☏ .
Here are just a few of the many hotels that are available:
- 1 Best Western - Agate Beach Inn, 3019 North Coast Hwy, ☏ .
- Inn at Otter Crest, ☏ .
- Shilo Inn, 536 SW Elizabeth St, ☏ .
- 2 Sylvia Beach Hotel, 267 NW Cliff St, ☏ . A hotel for book lovers.
- Elizabeth Inn, 232 SW Elizabeth St, ☏ .
- Embarcadero Resort Hotel, 1000 SE Bay Blvd, ☏ .
- Hallmark Resort, 744 SW Elizabeth St, ☏ .
- Comfort Inn Newport, 531 SW Fall St., ☏ . Complimentary continental breakfast, fitness center, meeting room, plus easy access to Nye Beach.
- 3 Inn at Nye Beach, 729 NW Coast St, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: 16:00, check-out: 11:00. Boutique ocean-front lodging in the historic Nye Beach district. Ocean views with direct beach-access.
|Routes through Newport|
|Lincoln City ← Depoe Bay ←||N S||→ Waldport → Florence|
|END ←||W E||→ Toledo → Corvallis|