North Algona Wilberforce is a township in Renfrew County. It has about 2,900 residents (2011).
In the wintertime, North Algona Wilberforce attracts many snowmobilers, cross county skiers and ice fishers. In the summer time it turns into cottage country with many lakes for canoeing, kayaking and fishing. It is a great point to launch out and take day trips out to white water rafting, explore the Bonnechere caves or visit Algonquin Park. Some of the main communities are Deacon, Golden Lake and Rankin.
Wilberforce Township was named in 1851 to honour William Wilberforce, an English politician and leader of the movement to stop the slave trade.
There is a Greyhound bus that leaves Ottawa to Pembroke (5609); from there, take the (5783) which passes through many communities in North Algona Wilberforce.
- A.G. Villeneuve, 11168 Hwy 60 Golden Lake, Ontario, ☏ . Well reviewed and famous local artist. His showcase 'thirty days in July' revealed a summer in Algonquin Park with brilliant colour. Best to look up when his current exhibitions are showing or phone in advance for an appointment.
- Whitetail Golf Club, 7113 Hwy 60, ☏ . Very good rates with many specials for different days of the week. $28-51.
- Logos Land, 15906 Hwy 17, ☏ . Quite a lot of activities to do here with the water park probably being the highlight.
- Top Of The Mountain Tours, Hwy 60 Madawaska ON, ☏ . Great way to explore the many ATV trails in the area.
- Owl Rafting, 40 Owl Lane Foresters Falls, ☏ . A great trip down the white water rapids is a whole day adventure. Includes lunch/dinner and a video of the day. $115-135.
- Frontier Trails Kids Camp, 10545 Hwy 60, ☏ . A good place to drop the kids off for the week. It has many different programs such as an adventure option with white water rafting and paintball and other options such as music, horsemanship and more traditional camp activities. $539-719 a week.
- Algonquin Way Cultural Centre, 1674 Mishomis Inamo, Pikwakanagan, ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM. Many exhibits and educational programming including canoe building, craft work, traditional Algonquin dancers, drum socials and other activities.
- Aboriginal Day This is celebrated at the Algonquin Trading Post in Golden Lake on June 21, where they have music and a potluck made up of traditional Aboriginal foods.
- [dead link] Algonquins of Pikwakanagan Traditional Pow Wow (From Highway 60, follow the sign for Eganville, turn left onto Kokomis following sign for Golden Lake Indian Reserve, follow Kokomis and turn right on Pakwanagemag Inamo, drive down Pakwanagemag Inamo and you will see signs for parking for the Pow Wow). Occurs on the third weekend of August at the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan territory. It is a 2-day celebration with crafts, dance, food and traditional drumming. No alcohol, drugs or pets are permitted on the Pow Wow grounds.
- Golden Lake Chinese Restaurant, ☏ . A great option to take the family for something unique in the area. They have take out and an all you can eat buffet on Saturday and Sundays.
- Bert's Crepes, 144 McNee Drive (Across the street from GreyStone Manor). Reopens in May 2011 for the summer season. Bert started the business in 2010 in a partnership with the Canadian youth business foundation. He serves a variety of freshly made crepes with options of many fruits, cheese and whipped cream.
- Sands on Golden Lake, 13163 Highway 60, ☏ . Check-in: 3pm, check-out: 11AM. Very nice place with both indivdual cottages for up to 6 people and single rooms with queen size mattress. Rates differ from peak to high season. $82-$325.
- [dead link] GreyStone Manor on Golden Lake, 144 McNee Drive (Approx. 1.5 hr from Ottawa), ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 10am. Greystone Manor has some nice luxury accommodations with choices of staying in the main bed and breakfast suites or in one of the fully-equipped themed cottages. They also have kayaks, canoes, volleyball court, play park with a miniature town and swimming pool.
- Red Pine Camp, 618 Island View Drive, Golden Lake, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: 4PM. Unique camp focused on family activities and entertainment. Rates include meals and are based upon weekly stays. $45-470.