Nunukan [dead link] is a busy town on an island of the same name in East Kalimantan, bordering Tawau in Sabah, Malaysia. It serves as a main transit point to Tawau. Nunukan regency has 9 sub-districts: Krayan, Krayan Selatan, Lumbis, Sembakung, Nunukan, Nunukan Selatan, Sebatik, Sebatik Barat and Sebuku.
For visa requirements when entering Indonesia, see the Indonesia | Get in section. Note that Nunukan is not listed as a visa-on-arrival entry point. Visas need to be obtained before hand. Citizens of countries not needing visa to enter Indonesia can freely enter via this checkpoint.
Nunukan's Immigration office (Kantor Imigrasi) is about 200m from the port on Jalan Pelabuhan into town and opens at 8am.
To/from Tawau: Ferries link Tawau in the southeastern corner of Sabah, Malaysia with Nunukan's Tunon Taka port. Ticket costs RM41 for one way. Two departures scheduled daily at 9:00am and 14:00pm. The ferries operating are M.V. Tawindo Express, M.V. Mid East Express, M.V Labuan Express, M.V Mega Express', M.V Nunukan Express, and M.V Purnama Express,M.V Francis Express. There is a port tax of Rp. 8.000 per person collected before departure. Journey time is about one hour.
To/from other parts of Indonesia: Pelni  boats such as KM AWU,KM THALIA, KM UMSINI, KM DOBONSOLO and KM TIDAR,KM TILONGKABILA pass by Nunukan from cities in Nusa Tenggara, Bali, Sulawesi, Java and Kalimantan. Check with Pelni office in Nunukan (Add: Jalan. A. Yani 11, Tel: 0556-21309, 0556-21170, Fax: 0556-21029) for ticketing and departure time tables matters.
The cheapest way to travel around Nunukan is by mikrolet. These small minibuses running a fairly standard route and picking up and dropping off passengers anywhere along the way. You can get almost anywhere for Rp. 3.000.
- Batu Lamampu beach at Sebatik sub-district.
- Kayan Mentarang national park at Krayan sub-district.
- Enching (also known as Firdaus) beach at Nunukan sub-district, about 8km from city center.
- Binusan waterfall at Nunukan sub-district, about 7km from city center.
- Sedadap beach at Nunukan sub-district, about 5km from city center.
- Mambunut zoo at Nunukan sub-district, about 7km from city center.
- Dessy Bakery & cafe - As the pioneer of Bakery industry in Nunukan Dessy Bakery provide you with Bakery & Cake Product , Customers also can dine in our shop for chilling out during you activity , we provide you with bistro cafe menu .
- Lenflin Hotel at Jl TVRI No 105 Nunukan , East Kalimantan (Tel: +62-556-24178 - +62-556-24180) ; http://lenflinhotel.indonetwork.co.id
- Hotel Idabus, ☎ . At No. 37 Jalan Pelabuhan Baru.
- Hotel Nunukan, ☎ . At Jalan Jend. A. Yani.
- neo fortuna (fortune hotel), jl. ahmad yani. new hotel at the south of the central park (known as alun-alun)
- Tarakan, 100 km south from of Nunukan, an island in the East Kalimantan, Indonesia. It is a marshy island situated in the eastern Celebes Sea, off the northeastern coast of Borneo.