Oceano is a city in San Luis Obispo County, California. It is part of the Five Cities Metropolitan Area which also includes Arroyo Grande to the north-east, and Grover Beach, Pismo Beach and Shell Beach to the north.
Oceano is home to Oceano County Airport, a public general aviation airfield operated by San Luis Obispo County. Transient aircraft parking is available.
Oceano is less than 2 mi (3 km) off Highway 101, south of San Luis Obispo.
Nearest train station is in the adjacent city of Grover Beach.
- The Great American Melodrama & Vaudeville, 1863 Pacific Blvd. Hwy 1, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. See website for schedule of shows. Relive the great past of American theatre with comedies, musicals and melodramas at this rustic theatre. $16-$20. Children 12 and under: $4 discount; Seniors, students, and active military: $2 discount.
- Pismo State Beach. West on Pier Avenue from Highway 1.
- Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area, one mile south of the Pier Avenue beach ramp, ☏ (Record), (District office). Daily: 8AM to 5PM. 5 ½ miles (8.9 km) of beach and sand dunes available for off-highway vehicles (OHV). In addition to OHV use, this park features surf fishing, swimming, and camping.
- Rock and Roll Diner, 1300 Railroad St (directly alongside Highway 1), ☏ . A restaurant inside a classic train car, it serves classic American drive-up diner food as well as authentic Greek cuisine.
- Pismo Beach - This tourism-focused coastal town is located four miles north of Oceano. It has more than 65 restaurants and 30 lodging options, and draws visitors with its beautiful coastline, annual clam festival, and the thousands of monarch butterflies that gather to spend the winter in a grove at the edge of town.
- San Simeon - 58 miles north of Oceano, San Simeon is home to Hearst Castle, the impressive residence of the former media tycoon William Randolph Hearst, now managed as a state park with tours available daily. A massive colony of 20,000+ elephant seals can be viewed onshore just north of town every winter.
- Santa Barbara
- Guadalupe - This small town is located 12 miles south of Oceano and is primarily focused on agriculture and oil production. Travelers will enjoy visiting the neighboring Guadaulpe-Nipomo Dunes, an 18-mile stretch of beach that is one of the largest remaining natural dune areas in California. The Ten Commandments was filmed in the dunes and the sets were buried after production, but today blowing winds repeatedly reveal and then re-cover these reproductions of ancient Egypt.
|Routes through Oceano|
|San Luis Obispo ← Grover Beach ←||N S||→ Guadalupe → Santa Barbara|