Old Forge is a village of about 750 people (2010) in the Adirondacks. As one of the western gateway communities of the Adirondack Park, Old Forge forms an extensive business district, primarily directed at tourism especially during the summer months.
Old Forge is a formerly-incorporated village in the southwestern corner of Adirondack Park, serving as point of entry to the park from a large area of Central New York. An Adirondack ski resort known for its lake-effect snow, the tiny village holds one of the records for the lowest winter temperatures in New York, at -52 °F (-46 °C) on February 17, 1979.
- From Herkimer, take NY 28 northbound.
- To pick up NY 28 from Utica-Rome use NY 12 northbound (from Utica and I-90) or NY 365 (Rome).
A car would be the best way to get around, but there are scenic railroad rides and cruises for seeing the area in depth.
- Old Forge Lake Cruises, ☏ . It provides 2-hour tours the Fulton Chain of Lakes.
- Norridgewock Tour Boat, ☏ . Cruise along the Stillwater Reservoir
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad, 2568 State Route 28, Thendara, toll-free: .
- Towns of Webb & Inlet Snowmobile Trail, 3140 State Route 28 (visitors' info centre). Network of groomed scenic trails open early December to April Fool's Day (weather permitting); permits available at visitor's info (+1-877-OLDFORGE) and other locations. Trails connect to the Central NY regional network. $45-80/snowmobile permit.
- Goodsell Museum, 2993 Main St, ☏ . 10AM-3PM Tue-Sat. Local history museum in listed heritage house; various books and reprints of old maps for sale by the town's historical society.
- 1 Enchanted Forest Water Safari, 3183 State Route 28, ☏ . A major amusement park and water park destination in New York. Calypso's Cove Family Fun Center adjacent; the same company also operates an inn and a campground. $30/person.
- 2 McCauley Mountain Ski Area, ☏ . Alpine ski hill, Last Run Café (+1 315 369-2551, winter only) and ski shop (instruction, rentals) (+1 315 369-3144). McCauley Mountain offers a 633 foot vertical drop, 21 ski trails, one double chairlift, two T-bar and two rope tows. In summer, the chairlifts operate for sightseers daily (except W) 9:30AM-4:30PM mid-June to Labor Day and F-Su until Columbus Day ($5/person, $4 for ages 6-16 and over 65, children age 5 and under free.)
- The western terminus of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail is found near Old Forge. The water trail continues on for approximately 700 miles to the eastern terminal in Fort Kent, Maine. The route runs through public and private lands. It is based on routes once used by Native Americans and pioneers and is the longest water trail in the United States.
- 3 Experience Old Forge. - located in Old Forge
- Shelter Adirondack Furniture, 3109 State Route 28, ☏ , fax: . Excellent custom Adirondack furniture, antiques and souvenirs. The classic wooden, locally hand-made Adirondack chair is about $140.
- Mountainman Outdoor Gear, 2839 NY State Route 28, ☏ . Outdoors clothing and equipment, paddlesports shop (+1 315 369-6672). Moose River trips and boat rentals operate from Clark Avenue (+1 315 369-6670) and there's another set of locations in Saratoga Springs.
- Adirondack Dog House, 3169 Route 28. Hot dog stand, next to Water Safari.
- Adirondack Pizzeria, 3105 State Route 28, ☏ . Pizzeria and arcade, wings, finger food, salads and submarines.
- Benny's Ice Cream, 2933 State Route 28 (Main Street), ☏ .
- Billy's, 3047 Main Street, ☏ . Italian-American
- Daikers, 161 Daikers Circle, ☏ . 12PM-9PM (restaurant), bar closes 2AM, reduced hours/closed Tuesdays off-season. Restaurant with bar, finger food, pizza and live music. Fish fry 5PM-9PM every Friday.
- Five Corners Café, 3067 State Route 28, ☏ .
- Frankie's Taste of Italy, 2824 State Route 28, ☏ . Italian food, gelato.
- Keyes Pancake House, 2967 Route 28, ☏ . 7AM-2PM. Breakfast and diner food.
- Randy's Restaurant, 2918 State Route 28, ☏ .
- Tony Harper's Pizza & Clam Shack, 3062 Main St, ☏ . 11AM-10PM daily, midnight on weekends.
- Sisters Bistro, 3046 Main St, ☏ . 11AM-midnight daily (summer).
- Slickers Adirondack Tavern, 3132 State Route 28, ☏ . Pizza, burgers, sandwiches, soups, frozen mixed drinks.
- The Fulton House, 200 Fulton House Way, ☏ . Family owned and operated, five cottages for weekly rental, overlooking scenic 4th lake.
- Moose Country Cabins, 2909 State Route 28, ☏ .
- North Woods Inn & Resort, 4920 NY 28 (Fourth Lake, Old Forge), ☏ . Accommodation, fine and casual dining, tap room, boat slips, rentals, weddings and events
- Water's Edge Inn, 3188 State Route 28, ☏ .
- Blue Spruce Motel, 2898 State Rte. 28, ☏ .
- Christy's Motel, 2902 State Route 28, ☏ .
- Clarks Beach Motel, State Route 28, ☏ .
- Country Club Motel, 2747 State Route 28, ☏ .
- Old Forge Library, 220 Crosby Blvd, ☏ . Special Adirondack collection, 24/7 wi-fi, used books for sale, free programs.
|Routes through Old Forge|
|Oneonta ← Herkimer ←||S E||→ Warrensburg → END|