Herkimer is a city in Central New York. This article also covers the nearby villages of Mohawk, Ilion, Frankfort, and Middleville.
Herkimer is the county seat of Herkimer County. The Herkimer area is known for "Herkimer diamonds", double-sided quartz crystals of high clarity that resemble diamonds.
The easiest way to access Herkimer is by car. Herkimer is off of Exit 30 of the New York State Thruway (I-90). Take a right to go to Herkimer, and a left to go to Mohawk.
The nearest Amtrak station is about 15 miles away in Utica, NY. There are no public transportation offerings from the station to Herkimer, so if traveling by train make sure to either arrange for a ride prior to departure, or call ahead for a taxi. From Utica there are daily arrivals and departures to New York City, Boston, Toronto, Albany, and other Northeastern locales.
Herkimer and Mohawk are on the New York State Canal Trail, making it easy for bikers who are traveling along the canal to stop there. From the trail take a left upon reaching the MOVAC Ambulance Service garage onto NYS Route 5-S and take a left onto Main Street.
The nearest airports are Hancock International Airport in Syracuse and Albany International Airport in Albany. Both airports offer flights to destinations throughout the country including New York City, Chicago, Charlotte, Cleveland, and Las Vegas.
Herkimer and the surrounding area is best traversed by car. Herkimer and Mohawk are connected directly to the NYS Canal Trail, making it easy to go for a ride along the canal and to other communities beyond, such as Utica and Little Falls. The trail has not been completed and only goes in an eastern direction, meaning that in order to bike further west, especially to Utica, will require riding on the roads.
- F.E. Spinner Mansion (East Main Street in Mohawk, a block down from the intersection of Columbia and Main Streets.). F.E. Spinner was the Secretary of the Treasury under Abraham Lincoln and lived in a large mansion on Main Street in Mohawk, which still stands.
- Ace of Diamonds Mine, NYS Route 28, Middleville, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. The mine allows visitors to collect Herkimer diamonds from their site. Mining tools such as rock hammers and sledge hammers are available for rental. Age 7 and under $4.50, age 8 and older $9.50.
- Herkimer County Community College, 100 Reservoir Rd.
- Yetty's Pizza and Pasta, 109 Mohawk St, ☏ .
- Crystal Chandelier Restaurant, 4579 Route 28, Middleville.
- [formerly dead link] Ace of Diamonds Campground, NYS Route 28, Middleville, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Water/electrical hookups, restrooms, showers. Tent sites: $10/night, partial hookups: $13/night.
Visit Cooperstown, home of the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame. It's accessible by taking 28 South. It is probably 45 minutes away.
|Routes through Herkimer|
|Buffalo ← Utica ←||W E||→ Little Falls → Albany|
|Syracuse ← Utica ←||W E||→ Little Falls → Albany|
|Warrensburg ← Old Forge ←||N S||→ Jct W E → Cooperstown → Oneonta|
|Rome ← Utica ←||W E||→ Little Falls → Waterford|