Orange Park is a city in the First Coast.
Orange Park was founded, after formerly being known as Laurel Grove, in 1877 for a housing development. It was incorporated two years later and was visited by former president and Union general Ulysses S. Grant in 1880.
The settlement's early days were, as its name implies, in the orange-growing industry with which Florida is traditionally associated. The cold winter ("Great Freeze") of 1894-1895 brought an end to this form of agriculture in the region. The town continued to grow, however, in the 1920s and again from the 1940s to the 1970s. Robert Yerkes' research station received the support of notable universities and foundations, including Yale University and the Rockefeller and Carnegie Foundations, and operated in Winter Park from 1930 to 1965 before being relocated to Georgia. Many families stationed at the nearby NAS Jacksonville live in Orange Park.
The nearest airport is Jacksonville International Airport. US-17 passes through the town from north to south and I-295, a part of the East Coast's I-95 highway system, crosses the town from east to west to cross the St. John's River, providing an exit to US-17.
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 1007 Blanding Blvd, ☏ . 7:30AM-6PM.
- 1 William Clarke Estate, 1039-1057 Kingsley Avenue, ☏ . Part of the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
- 1 Eagle Harbor Golf Club, 2217 Eagle Harbor Pkwy (junction with Linkside Dr, Lakeshore Dr, and Eagle Harbor Pkwy), ☏ . 6:30AM–6PM.
- Orange Park Community Theatre, 2900 Moody Avenue, ☏ . 8PM.
- 1 The Hilltop Club, 2030 Wells Road, ☏ . 5:30-9PM. This Victorian-style mansion restaurant has a blend of English and southern influences. Banquet rooms also available. $5-30.
- 2 Whitey's Fish Camp, 2032 CR 220, ☏ . Seafood restaurant, bar, RV park, and fishing pier. Whitey's offers fried and steamed seafood in large quantity. Catfish and "swamp vittles" (regional foods like alligator, frog legs, and turtle) are house specialties. $8-30.
- 1 Cheers Bar & Grill, 1138 Park Ave, ☏ . M–Sa 11AM–2AM, Su 11AM–11PM. Karaoke Wednesday and Saturday Nights, great ambiance and pool tables.
- 1 Club Continental, 2143 Astor St, ☏ .
- 2 Hampton Inn & Suites, 141 Park Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- 3 Hilton Garden Inn, 145 Park Ave, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM.
- Jacksonville, to the north, is the main city in the region and one of Florida's largest cities by population.
- Palatka is to the south along the St. John's River.
|Routes through Orange Park|
|Savannah ← Jacksonville ←||N S||→ Green Cove Springs → Orlando|