Busy Orcas Village is the first landing site for many tourists visiting the San Juan Islands via the Washington State Ferries and where many travelers spend time waiting for the ferry.
For security and immigration processing when traveling between the US and Canada, a 60-minute advance arrival is strongly suggested for vehicle traffic. Walk on passengers need to arrive 30 minutes in advance. Vehicle reservations are recommended. Please speak with Washington State Dept of Transportation Information Agents in Seattle at 1-888-808-7977 or reserve online. Passports are required to enter either country.
- Washington State Ferries offers ferries to Shaw, Orcas (where Orcas Village is located), Lopez and San Juan Islands from Anacortes, which is about 1.5 hours north of Seattle. If traveling on weekends, be prepared for long waits for the ferries. A 60-minute advance arrival is recommended for vehicle traffic. A 1-hour advance arrival is advised for the 8:30AM International sailing. For the afternoon sailings, a 90-minute advance arrival is advised. Passengers should arrive at least 30 minutes prior to sailing.
Equally distanced between Seattle to the south and Vancouver, B.C. to the north (approximately 85 miles from each), Anacortes rests on the waters of Puget Sound on beautiful Fidalgo Island: 2100 Ferry Terminal Road Suite A, Anacortes, WA 98221
From Sidney BC
- 2499 Ocean Avenue (Physical), Sidney, BC V8L1T3
- Sidney/Anacortes ferry Terminal from Victoria. The Sidney/Anacortes Terminal is located 18 miles north of downtown Victoria. There are two exits off Highway 17 Northbound to the Sidney/Anacortes Ferry Terminal: Amity Drive and Beacon Avenue. When taking the Amity Drive exit, turn left at Lochside Drive. After 2 miles turn right at Ocean Avenue. The ferry terminal entrance will be on the right. For the Beacon exit, take a right off the highway on to Beacon Ave and then turn right at Fifth Street. Turn left at Ocean Avenue, and the ferry terminal entrance is located on the right.
- Kenmore Air, toll-free: , fax: , ✉ reservations@KenmoreAir.com. Kenmore Air seaplanes make several flights daily from downtown Seattle's Lake Union to seven locations in the San Juan Islands. Kenmore Air Express also offers daily land plane service between Seattle's Boeing Field/King County International Airport (BFI IATA) and Friday Harbor Airport (FRD IATA). Complimentary shuttle transfers are available to/from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA IATA) for passengers on either Kenmore Air service. A quick and spectacular, though not cheap, way to arrive. $75-139.
- Northwest Seaplanes, 860 W. Perimeter Road – Renton, WA 98057, toll-free: . provides scheduled and charter seaplane flights to destinations from South Lake Washington, in the heart of Seattle to the San Juan Islands, Vancouver Island, and British Columbia’s Inside Passage. They operate 4 planes each offering six seats.
- Bay Head Marina, 372 Killebrew Lake Rd, toll-free: . Located a short walk away from the Orcas Ferry Terminal and has a boat ramp and ample parking. Facilitates boats up to 60'
- [dead link] Orcas Mopeds, 65 Orcas Hill Road Orcas, WA 98280, ☏ . maximum speeds of 30 miles an hour and less than 50cc engines means that special motorcycle licenses are not needed, a fun way to see the island.
Orcas Village is a launching point for many visitors coming to the island as well as serving a captive audience waiting for ferries. The Village itself has several historic buildings and is worth getting out to explore when waiting for the ferry.
- Orcas Island Eclipse Charters & Whale Watch Tours, 8368 Orcas Rd, ☏ . Mon-Fri 9AM - 7:30PM. custom boat tours from knowledgeable staff.
- Orcas Village Store, Orcas Lndg, ☏ . Mon-Sun 6AM - 8PM. everything that a traveler needs for waiting in long ferry lines or just needing a picnic before exploring the island. Lots of locally sourced products.
- Orcas Hotel Cafe, Orcas Hill Rd. wonderful classic restaurant overlooking the water and ferry terminal. Another great place to spend some time while waiting for the ferry.
There is also a bar at the Orcas Hotel.
- Orcas Hotel, 18 Orcas Hill Road, ☏ . built 1904 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1982. Offers an amazing view of Harney Channel, Shaw Island and the ferry terminal.
wifi is available from the hotel and for a fee at the ferry terminal.