Europe > Nordic countries > Finland > Southern Finland > Päijänne Tavastia
Päijänne Tavastia (Päijät-Häme) is a region in Southern Finland.
The region doesn't have any passenger airports, but there are good connections from the Helsinki region by bus; some places like Lahti and Kärkölä are connected by train too.
Trains of national operator VR are possible to use for travelling inside province.
Matkahuolto has a dense bus network covering most of the province.
Onnibus offers discount bus service by few routes.
Google Maps includes timetables of trains, long distance buses and local transport of many cities and towns. Other useful route planners are Matka.fi for trains and local buses and Matkahuolto Reittiopas for regional buses.
- Taksi Häme, ☏ (€2.76/call + €0.35/min - queuing toll-free 1½ min). Hämeenlinna-based company. Can be booked through the 0100 0700 app. Fixed price based on calculated route and time if destination address given when booking by app.
- Lahen Taksi (Kuitusen Keikka Ky), ☏ (high cost: €1.92/call + €1.44/min - queuing toll-free 3 min). Also bookable by app or web. Flag fall M–F 06:00–20:00: €5, Sa €6, other times and holidays: €8; 1–4 persons M-F €1.10/km + €0.80/min, other times €1.10/km + €0.90/min (January 2021).
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Menevä, Cabo, Lahen Taksi
- The radio hill and its long wave masts in Lahti.
- The medieval greystone church of Hollola.
- The ski jumping hills in Lahti, and if you're visiting in the winter there might be a ski jumping event going on there.
- Vääksy canal in Asikkala.
- Birds at Heinola Bird Park
- Boating or canoeing, see Boating in Finland#Keitele–Päijänne–Vesijärvi
- Enjoy a classical music concert in Lahti's Sibelius hall.
- Hit the slopes at Messilä ski center in Hollola.
- Go shopping at one of Lahti's many factory outlets.
- Hike along the Pulkkilanharju trail in Asikkala.
- Drive, bike or walk along the road from Sysmä to Asikkala across several islands of Lake Päijänne.
- Nastolan rautalankafestarit: 2–3 July 2016. A rock'n'roll festival celebrating its 20th installment. Arranged by nonprofit Nastola Art Association (date needs updating)
Päijänne Tavastia region is a safe place.