North America > United States of America > Texas > Gulf Coast (Texas) > Padre Island > Padre Island National Seashore
Padre Island National Seashore is a park in Texas, United States of America. Located along the south Texas coast, Padre Island National Seashore protects the longest undeveloped stretch of barrier island in the world. Here, you can enjoy 70 miles of sandy beaches, wind-carved dunes, vast grasslands, fragile tidal flats, and warm, nearshore waters.
Flora and fauna
The park entrance fee is $10 per vehicle. An annual park pass may be obtained for $20, and is valid for a year after the day of purchase. Please note that this is a pass to Padre Island National Seashore only.
There are several passes for groups traveling together in a private vehicle or individuals on foot/bike that provide free entry to Padre Island National Seashore and all national parks, as well as some national monuments, national wildlife refuges, and national forests:
- The $80 Annual Pass (valid for twelve months from date of issue) can be purchased by anyone. Military personnel can obtain a free pass by showing a Common Access Card (CAC) or Military ID.
- The $80 Senior Pass (valid for the life of the holder) is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. Applicants must provide documentation of citizenship and age. This pass also provides a 50% discount on some park amenities. Seniors can also obtain a $20 annual pass.
- The free Access Pass (valid for the life of the holder) is available to U.S. citizens or permanent residents with permanent disabilities. Applicants must provide documentation of citizenship and permanent disability. This pass also provides a fifty percent discount on some park amenities.
- The free Volunteer Pass is available to individuals who have volunteered 250 or more hours with federal agencies that participate in the Interagency Pass Program.
- The free Annual 4th Grade Pass (valid for September-August of the 4th grade school year) allows entry to the bearer and any accompanying passengers in a private non-commercial vehicle. Registration at the Every Kid Outdoors website is required.
The National Park Service offers free admission to all national parks on five days every year:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day (third Monday in January); next observance is January 16, 2023
- The first day of National Park Week (third Saturday in April); next observance is April 15, 2023
- The National Park Service Birthday (August 25)
- National Public Lands Day (fourth Saturday in September); next observance is September 24, 2022
- Veterans Day (November 11)
Note that no reservations are taken for camping. Call Malaquite Visitor Center at +1 361 949-8068 to check on availability in the campgrounds. Space is almost always available on the beaches, unless they are closed due to unusually high tides.
|Routes through Padre Island National Seashore|
|Brownsville ← South Padre Island ←||S N||→ END|