Pawapuri, 101 kilometers from Patna and 38 kilometers from Rajgir,(Hindi: पावापुरी, Urdu: پوا پوری) or Pava is a holy site for Jains.
Lord Mahavira, the final Tirthankar and founder of Jainism, breathed his last at this place, and was cremated here around 500 B.C. It is said that the demand for his ashes was so great that a large amount of soil was removed from around the funeral pyre, creating the water tank. A marble temple, the “Jalmandir”, was later built in the middle of the tank, and is now a major pilgrimage spot for Jains. Another Jain temple called Samosharan is located here.
By Air The nearest airport is at Patna 101 km. Air India/Indigo/GoAir/JetAirways connect Patna to Calcutta, Bombay, Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune, Lucknow and Ranchi.
By Rail Though Rajgir itself has a railway station yet the nearest convenient railhead is at Patna 90 km.
By Road A taxi or bus can be taken from Patna, Rajgir, Gaya or other major cities of Bihar to visit Pawapuri
- 1 Jalmadir. A marble temple, the Jalmandir, was later built in the middle of the tank, and is now a major pilgrimage spot for Jains.
- Digambar Jain Mandir. This is a famous Jain Temple for the Digambar followers.
- Gaon Mandir. For Shewetamber Jain followers, this is the most sacred Jain pilgrimage site. The fact that this temple is made of white and red marble adds to its magnificence. According to Jain devotees, Lord Mahavira delivered his final sermon here and attained nirvana. As a result, it is also referred to as Mahaveer Swami Nirvan Bhumi (Gaon Mandir).
- Sariputra Parinirwan Stup Area.
- Bodh Gaya, the place where Buddha achieved enlightenment
- Rajgir, the place Vishwa Shanti Shutpa you can joy on Areial Ropeway, You can enjoy Venuvana (Beautiful Garden)
- Nalanda - location of an ancient university with a nearby museum.
- Patna - 101 km by Road, Deluxe Buses for Patna Available from Bihar Sharif 13 km from Pawapur or You can take taxi,
- Ranchi - AC deluxe buses are Available from ITDC Patliputra Ashoka Hotel, BSTDC Kautilya Vihar Hotel and Mithapur/Bankipore Bus Stand (Near Gandhi Maidan)