Ranchi is located on the Chotanagpur plateau, at a height of 650 m (2,140) feet above sea level.The entire area is generally covered with red soil. Extensive forests around Ranchi are composed mainly of sal, gambhar, asan, kend, simul and mahua. Bears, sambar, chital, nilgai and hares are found in the forests. Summer afternoons are hot but evenings and nights are cool and enjoyable (maximum 40°C, min 16°C). It is cool/cold in winter (maximum 25°C and minimum 0°C). Annual rainfall is 1530 mm.
Ranchi has gained fame for being the hometown of cricket superstar M.S. Dhoni, who played from 2004 to 2020.
Languages spoken are Hindi, Bhojpuri, Bengali, Maithili, Sadri, Oraon, Mundari and some dialects. English is not a common language. Even if it is not understood at a place, people are willing to help around with interpretation.
- 1 Birsa Munda Airport (IXR IATA Ranchi Airport) (in Hinoo, approximately 7 km from the city centre and 1 km from the nearest Hatia railway station).
- AirAsia India operates daily from Bangalore and Delhi
- Air India operates a daily flight from Delhi.
- Alliance Air operates daily from Bhubaneswar, Jharsuguda, Raipur and Kolkata.
- Go Air operates daily from Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai.
- IndiGo operates daily from Bangalore, Delhi, Hyderabad, Indore, Kolkata, Mumbai and Patna.
- Vistara operates daily from Delhi.
Ranchi is connected by rail to important places all over the country. Hatia is a station next to Ranchi and serves as terminus for many of the trains. Given below are some of the convenient trains. The first number is for the train from Ranchi and second for the train to Ranchi.
- 8616/8615 Hatia Howrah Express
- 8624/8623 Hatia Patna Express
- 8622/8621 Hatia Patna Pataliputra Express
- 8611/8612 Ranchi Garhwa Banaras Inter-City Express
- 3352/3351 Dhanbad Bokaro Allepy Express *8601/8602 Hatia Jammu Tawi Express
- 5027/5028 Hatia Gorakhpur Mayurya Express
- 8451/8452 Hatia Puri Tapaswini Express
- 8608/8607 Ranchi Baidyanathdham Express.
- 2020/2019 Ranchi Howrah Shatabdi Express (Except Sunday)
- 3304/3303 Hatia Dhanbad Inter-City Express (Except Sunday)
- 2439/2440 Ranchi New Delhi Rajdhani Express (Biweekly),
- 8603/8604 Hatia Delhi Jharkhand Swarna Jayanti Express (via Barkakhana) (Triweekly)
- 8605/8606 Hatia Delhi Jharkhand Swarna Jayanti Express (via Gomoh) (Triweekly)
- 8609/8610 Ranchi Lokmanya Tilak Express (Weekly)
- 2812/2811 Hatia Lokmanya Tilak Express (Weekly)
- 2835/2836 Hatia Yeshwantpur Express (Bi-weekly)
- 3403/3404 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express (via Andal) (Triweekly)
- 3405/3406 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express (Biweekly)
- 5661/5662 Ranchi Kamakhya (Guwahati) Express (Biweekly).
Ranchi is well connected by a network of roads with all the neighbouring cities and towns. The distance from some important locations are as follows: Bokaro 110 km, Dhanbad 170 km, Jamshedpur 140 km, Chaibasa 130 km, Hazaribagh 100 km, Gaya 220 km, Patna 340 km, Barhi (on NH 2 Grand Trunk Road) 136 km, Rourkela 250 km, Kolkata 415 km. Bus connections are available from almost all cities and towns in the area.
You can travel from Simdega, Chaibasa, Jamudag, Lohardaga and other places using Lily Travels Delux bus service from Ranchi City.
Hired cars, autorickshaws and cycle rickshaws are available for local transportation. Ranchi like a number of other cities in North India, has a concept of share auto. The share autos operate along fixed routes and take in as many passengers as physically possible. Fares vary depending upon the route. City buses also ply on designated routes for most of hours.
- 1 Aqua World (Machhli Ghar). An aquarium, game parlor and food court are worth seeing and good values.
- 2 Jaganath Temple.
- JSCA cricket stadium. Located in HEC area, world class stadium with modern facilities.
- Nakshtra Van.
- 3 Pahari Mandir. Located on a small hill, off Ratu Road which is about 2 km from Main Road. It gives an excellent 360-degree view of the city. A must visit.
- 4 Tagore Hill, Morabadi (bout 5 km from the heart of the city). Tagore Hill is about 90 m (300 ft) above its base. The elder brother of Rabindranath Tagore, Jyotirindranath Tagore purchased the hillok Morabadi and built up an ashram after the suicide of his wife Kadambari Devi.
- 5 Yogoda Satsanga Society of India- Ashram (Yogoda Satsanga Sakha Math), Paramahansa Yogananda Path - 834001 (Less than a km from Ranchi station), ☏ . 9AM - 5 PM. Paramahansa Yogananda, the author of Autobiography of a Yogi, began his life's work here. The natural beauty and peaceful atmosphere offer refreshment to mind and spirit. No.
- 6 Ranchi Science Centre, Tagore Hill Road, Near, Temple Rd, Chiraundi, Morabadi. The first science museum established in the state of Jharkhand. It houses several exhibits on astronomy, evolution and topics connected to the area such as coal mining.
- 7 State Museum Hotwar, Hotwar Khelgaon Mega Sports Complex. An arts and cultural heritage museum showcasing Jharkhand's rich history.
- 8 Tribal Research Institute and Museum, Tagore Hill Rd, Tetartoli, Morabadi, ☏ . The museum is dedicated to the 32 tribal groups of Jharkhand and providing a platform to learn about many of the lesser known tribal cultures in the state.
Lakes and dams
- 9 Ranchi Lake. Excavated in 1842, it is centrally situated. The lake has boating facilities.
- 10 Rukka Dam (Getalsud Dam) (8 km from booty more). A big dam on the outskirts of the city.It offers an excellent ambiance for picnic and recreation.
- 11 Dhurva Dam. A reservoir on the outskirts of the city. An excellent place to enjoy a scenic sunset view.
- 12 Kanke Dam.
Parks and gardens
- 13 Rock Garden. A beautiful place to hang out with friends, families, relatives and loved ones. Entry ticket ₹10 per adult. Vehicle parking facilities available.
- 14 Bhagwan Birsa Jaiwik Udyaan (Bhagwan Birsa Biological Park), Main Road, NH33, Ormanjhi, ☏ . This is an excellent biological park to visit.
- Deer Park (16 km on Ranchi-Khunti Road).
- Durga Pooja, Across all locations in the city. Dashehara time: One of the best poojas the country has. The atmosphere, the feel, the decorations, the Goddess statue and the people are just amazing.
- Anand Jewellers.
- Big Bazar, Main Road (Near Overbridge). New Shopping experience in Mall
- Big Shop.
- Chandu sales.
- Dhanuka, Mitra Market, Upper Bazar. Towels, Bedsheets & Furnishing
- J D High Street Mall, Main Road. First Mall of Ranchi. Situated just in front of famous G.E.L. Church Complex. It has Glitz, a three screen multiplex. And many other branded shops & Gaming Zone is there in this mall.
- Jassi Gifts, churuwala chowk, upper bazaar, ranchi (near Churuwla Chowk).
- Kashmir Vastralaya.
- Kanodia textile co. (Sapnay), shradhanand road (upper bazar). wholesale merchant, wide range of fancy bedsheets, brand name Sapnay
- PUMA, Main Road. This is showroom of one of the best sports garments and accessories.
- Rekha Electronic & Mobile. Mobiles & accessories. ]
- Rekha Sales Corporation. CDs/DVDs, HandyCams, CyberShot.
- Reliance Mart, Kanke Road, Ranchi (Rock garden). Buy everything from fresh green vegetables to lifestyle products
- Saloni, GEL Church Complex.
- Spring City Mall, Hinoo. Mall near Ranchi Airport. It is going to host Multiplex Fun Cinema. It has the Food Court, Lemon n Ice & Maya Life Style Shoppe.
- Vishal Mega Mart.
- Yashvi Enterprises. Mobiles & accessories
On Main Road
- Birsa Vihar, Birsa Complex.
- Capitol Hill (opposite GEL Church Complex M.G.Road,Ranchi.). Buffet meals @ ₹240 per head.
- Capitol Residency (opposite the Ranchi Railways Station, on Station Road.). Buffet meals @ ₹240 per head.
- Chinar. Its preparation of non-veg is marvellous.
- ChuruWala (top and town near road no 2; asoknagar). famous for sweets
- Food Plaza, Opposite Gurudwara, M.G.Road, ☏ .
- 1 GreenHorizon, Station Rd, Sirom Toly, Kishan Singh Colony, Gosaintola, ☏ . One of the best non-veg restaurants.
- Kathi Kabab, ☏ .
- Kaveri Restaurant, GEL Church Complex'. Has a collection of North Indian and Chinese dishes. A meal for two would cost close to ₹300..
- Krsna Hotel, GEL Church Complex. Very similar menu and prices as Kaveri
- Maruti Watika, ☏ .
- Marwari Kalewalay, ☏ . It has many franchisee in Ranchi,
- Punjab Sweet House (Opposite GEL Church Complex). Marvellous collection of sweets and chaat items.
- Sudarshan Restaurant, ☏ .
- Alora Bar & Restaurant.
- Birsa D Bar & Restaurant, Birsa Chowk, Khuti Road.
- Hangul Bar & Restaurant, ☏ . Hotel Chinar
- Natraj Restaurant & Bar, ☏ , .
- Neelum Bar Restaurant, ☏ .
- Saqi Bar & Restaurant, Kanke Road.
- Anand Hotel, Line Tank Road, ☏ .
- Ganga Ashram Hotel, Kutchery Road, ☏ .
- Green Acres (Hotel), Airport Road, ☏ , .
- Gujrat Hotel, Near Taxi Stand, Main Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Akash Ganga, North Market Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Akashwani, Ratu Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Aloka, Radium Road, Kutchery Chow, ☏ .
- Hotel Amrit, Station Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Anjali, Purulia Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Annapurna, Main Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Anuraag, Radhey Shyam Lane, ☏ .
- Hotel Apsara, 48 A, Circular Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Arya, Hazaribagh Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Ashirvad, ☏ . Court Compound,
- Hotel Basera, 5 Main Road, ☏ , .
- Hotel Capitol Hill, Main Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Capital Residency, Station Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Chinar, Main Road, 84, ☏ .
- Hotel Crown, ☏ . Plaza, Birsa Chowk, Hinoo,
- Hotel Element, Station Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Embassy, Main Road, 84, ☏ .
- Hotel Green Horizon, Station Road Ranchi, ☏ , .
- Hotel Greenridge Avenue, Station Road.
- Hotel Highland, Old Hazaribagh Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Hindustan, Main Road, ☏ , , .
- Hotel Konark, Station Road, ☏ . Check-in: 23.6.2015, check-out: 26.6.2015. 1000.
- Hotel Kwality Inns, Station Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Maharaja, Radium Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Natraj, Radhey Shyam Lane, ☏ .
- Hotel Natraj Mini, Opp. Daily Market, ☏ .
- Hotel New Rajasthan, Hazaribagh Road, Lalpur Chowk, ☏ .
- Hotel Park, Kadru Road, ☏ . (updated)
- Hotel Rajasthan, Circular Road, Lalpur, ☏ .
- Hotel Ranchi Ashok, Doranda, Hinoo, ☏ .
- Radisson Blu Hotel Ranchi, Main Road, Kadru Division(opposite Chambers of commerce), Ranchi, ☏ .
- Hotel Sanjay, Hazaribagh Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Satkar, Station Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Savera, Kadeu Chowk, ☏ .
- Hotel Siddhartha, Bangla School Lane, O.C. Cmpnd, ☏ .
- Hotel Swaraj, S.N. Ganguly Road, ☏ .
- Hotel Yuvraj Palace, Doranda, 27, ☏ .
- Little Italy, Opp. Khukri Petrol Pump, Near Overbridge. A great place to have Italian cuisine
- New Sisai Hotel, Taxi Stand, Main Road, ☏ .
- Palace Hotel, Kadru, ☏ .
- Sartaj Hotel, Main Road, ☏ .
Do not be carried away by media coverage of stray incidents. Those desirous of travelling out of town, particularly at night, should check with local people, say the hotel management, about the law and order situation in a particular area. However, it is not advisable to venture out late in the evening/ night even in unknown localities of the city unless one is fully aware of that area.
In case of a healthcare emergency, ambulance can be sought from Orchid Medical Centre (http://www.orchidmedcentre.com) by calling 0651-2219501/2/3/4
- Bodhgaya – 200 km from Ranchi, Place of Budha Enlightenment. Bus/train available to Gaya
- Bokaro Steel City- 128 km from Ranchi, one of the best planned cities in the country and an industrial giant city surrounded by greenery and well layout infrastructure.
- Dassam Falls - about 40 km on Ranchi Jamshedpur Road, near Taimara village, on Kanchi river, the water falls from a height of about 144 feet.
- Hirni Falls – about 90 km on the Ranchi Chakradharpur Road.
- Hundru Falls – about 28 km from Ranchi, on Subarnarekha River, the water falls from a height of 320 feet.
- Jonha Falls - also known as Gautmadhara falls, about 18 km, it is approachable by road and from Gautamdhara railway station on the Ranchi-Muri section.
- Netarhat – 144 km from Ranchi, the ‘Queen of Chotanagpur’ at a height of 3622 feet above sea level.
- Patna – 350 km from Ranchi, AC deluxe buses available from ITDC Ranchi Ashoka, BSTDC/JSTDC Birsa Vihar main Road.
- Pahari Mandir – Situated at an altitude of 2140 feet from the sea level. There is a temple of God Shiva at the top of the hill from where the whole city can be seen.
- Rajrappa Falls - about 65 km from Ranchi, also Chhinamasta temple. One has to go to Ramgarh (on the Ranchi-Hazaribagh Road) and then take the road to Bokaro. The falls are at the confluence of the river Damodar and Bhera.
- Sun Temple – Situated about 39 km from Ranchi on the way to Dassam Falls. Private buses or jeeps available from Khadgarha bus stand.
- Tagore Hills – Situated at Morhabadi. It is about 300 feet high and about 3 km from Elbert Ekka Chowk.It is said number of books were written by Rabindra Nath Tagore on the top of the hill. It is panoramic view from the top pf the hill. A great part of Ranchi can be seen from this place.
- Deori Mandir -