Rourkela is the main centre of trade in the Sundergarh district and state of Odisha (formerly known as Orissa).
Close to Rourkela, lie many scenic places including Khandadhar Waterfall, which boasts to be the highest waterfall of its kind in the whole of eastern India. Apart from that Vedavyas, the confluence of two rivers Sankh and Koel, is only a few miles from the main city, which is believed to be the abode of Vedavyasa, the great poet, who created the grandeur epic Mahabharat.
The nearest public airport is at Ranchi (IXR IATA) which is 250 km away from Rourkela. You can reach from there by bus or rail. Although Rourkela has its own airstrip which is generally used by the dignitaries of SAIL.
Rourkela is well connected to most parts of the country by fast trains. It takes around 7 hr by train from Bhubaneswar.Also you can reach here from Kolkata which takes 6 hr. The prominent trains from Bhubaneshwar are Tapaswini Express, Garib Rath, Utkal express. The trains connecting to Kolkata are Sambaleswari Express, Gyaneswari Express, Gitanjali Express, Azadhind, Ahmedabad Howrah Express and Mumbai-Howrah Mail. The cost for both fares is around ₹400.
By road: you can get to rourkela from bhubaneshwar by luxury buses for a cost of ₹300-400. Also the roadway is quite good from the state capital.
Getting around is very easy with shared autos and very cheap buses. The auto is now the most popular form of transportation because it is quite cheap. Also hired Ambassadors, Tata Sumos, etc., are available for sight-seeing the tourist spots in and around Rourkela.
74 feet 9 inch height hanuman statue.
Hanuman Vatika, VedVyas Temple, Vaisnodevi Mandir on Hills, Hill top (Sec -20), Koel River, IG Park (the main attraction is musical fountain - a must-see), Deer Park, Jubilee Park.
Bhalulata (40 km from Rourkela), Blue stone (80 km), Jaraikela, Mandira Dam (a good picnic spot).
- 1 Khandadhar Waterfall (in Sundergarh district of Odisha at a place called Nandapani; from Rourkela, take NH23 to reach Lahunipada; from Lahunipada take right till Lalei Chowk and take left to reach Khandadhar). This is the highest waterfall of Odisha and among the highest of India. Khandadhar means the edge of a sword. The fall looks like a hanging sword from a distance. The water falls from a height of 800 ft (240 m). Pauri Bhuiyas are the tribal who inhabit the place . The folklore says, Goddess Kankala Devi ate everything that comes across her . Be it soil, trees or stones. Pauri Bhuiyas placed her on a rock, which she ate as well. A hole was created on that rock and the water started falling from that hole. The falling water resembles a sword, hence came the name Khandadhar.
The best time to go to Rourkela is in winter. There are various clubs which organises exhibitions, festivals, competition held during that time. This beautiful city becomes more beautiful at this time. The second best time is during Durga Puja in the month of September - October, where one can enjoy the rich festival.
- Aam Bagan - Well known market of Rourkela. It is also known as Ispat Market.
- Traffic Market - for fruits and vegetables
- Forum Raleria- supermarket for groceries
You can have a dinner at Mayfair hotel which has a multicusine restaurant serving Indian, Chinese, Continental and also have a joint called Super Max which serves South Indian Food.Madhuban is a must go place to have food and specially famous for its rolls and Frankies.
Nottee at Radhika Hotel is a good family restaurant.
7AM on 11th June St. is a pure vegetarian restaurant.
Must try pani-puri (called Gup-chup) from Sector 18 (old book store row).
Try pizza at Pizza Den which is above the Max Bakery.
You can hang out at Cafe Coffee Day in the evening.
- Deepti Hotel, Ring Road,Rourkela.
- Hotel Shyam & Brindaban, Main Road, Taxi stand (500 m away from railway station), ☏ .
- Mayfair Hotel, Panposh road.
- Bhubaneswar - about 340 km away by Road. Direct train is also available
- Jharsuguda - about 130 km away from Rourkela
- Khandadhar Falls - about 104 km away from Rourkela