Rourkela is the main center of trade in the district Sundergarh as well as for Odisha (formerly known as Orissa).
Close to Rourkela, lie many scenic places including Khandadhar Waterfall, which boasts to be the highest waterfall of its kind in the whole of eastern India. Apart from that Vedavyas, the confluence of two rivers Sankh and Koel, is only few miles from the main city, which is believed to be the abode of Vedavyasa, the great poet, who created the grandeur epic Mahabharat.
The nearest public airport is at Ranchi which is 250 km away from Rourkela, although Rourkela has its own airstrip which is generally used by the dignitaries of SAIL. You can reach from there by bus or rail.
Rourkela is well connected to most part of the country by superfast trains.It takes around 7 hrs by train from Bhubaneswar.Also you can reach here from Kolkata which takes 6 hrs.The prominent trains from Bhubaneshwar are Tapaswini express,GARIB RATH,Utkal express.The trains connecting to kolkata are Sambaleswari express,Gyaneswari express,Gitanjali express,Azadhind,Ahmedabad howrah express and Mumbai-Howrah Mail.The cost for both fares is around ₹400.
By road:You can get to rourkela from bhubaneshwar by luxury buses for a cost of ₹300-₹400. Also the roadway is quite good from the state capital.
Getting around is very easy with shared autos and very cheap buses.The auto is now the most popular form of transportation cuz it is quite cheap.Also hired ambassadors,tata sumos,etc are available for sight seeing the tourist spots in and around rourkela.
74 feet 9 inch height hanuman statue.
Hanuman Vatika, VedVyas Temple, Vaisnodevi Mandir on Hills,Hill top(Sec -20), Koel River, IG Park(Main attraction is musical Fountain- Must see), Deer Park, Jubilee Park.
Bhalulata(40 Kms from RKL), Blue stone(80 kms), Jaraikela(Not Sure), Mandira Dam(Good Picnic spot).
- 1 Khandadhar Waterfall (is located in Sundergarh district of Odisha at a place called Nandapani. From Rourkela]] take NH23 to reach Lahunipada. From Lahunipada take right till Lalei Chowk and take left to reach Khandadhar .). This is the highest waterfall of Odisha and among the highest of India. Khandadhar means the edge of a sword . The fall looks like a hanging sword from a distance. The water falls from a height of 800 ft (240 m). Pauri Bhuiyas are the tribal who inhabit the place . The folklore says, Goddess Kankala Devi ate everything that comes across her . Be it soil, trees or stones. Pauri Bhuiyas placed her on a rock, which she ate as well. A hole was created on that rock and the water started falling from that hole. The falling water resembles a sword, hence came the name Khandadhar .
The best time to go to Rourkela is in winter.There are various clubs which organises exibhitions,fest, competition held during that time.This beautiful city becomes more beautiful that time.Second best time is during Durga Puja in the month of September - October,where one can enjoy the rich festival at that time.
- Aam Bagan - Well known Market of Rourkela . It is also known as Ispat Market .
- Traffic Market - for fruits and vegetables
One can have a dinner at Mayfair hotel which has a multicusine restaurant serving Indian, Chinese, Continental and also have a joint called Super Max which serves South Indian Food.Madhuban is a must go place to have food and specially famous for its rolls and Frankies.
A New Restaurant opened in Rourkela known as NOTTEE at Radhika Hotel and presently a good family restaurant. One more has started on 11th June named as 7 AM which is a pure vegetarian Restaurant.
Must try pani-puri (called Gup-chup) from sector 18 (old book store row) . try pizza at pizza den which is above the max bakery
You can hang out at Cafe coffee day in the evening.
- Deepti Hotel, Ring Road,Rourkela.
- Hotel Shyam & Brindaban, Main Road,Taxi stand (500 m. away from railway station), ☎ .
- Mayfair Hotel, Panposh road.
- Bhubaneswar - Situated about 340 KM away by Road , Direct train is also available
- Khandadhar Falls - Situated about 104 KM away from Rourkela