[[File:Kavvayi island.jpg|thumb|Kavvayi Is,land
This municipality consists of three administrative villages called Vellur, Korom and Payyanur. It is on the banks of Perumba River.
The main language spoken is Malayalam. However, English, Hindi and Tamil are the other languages which are also spoken and understood by majority of the people.
You can also reach Payyanur by bus from big cities like Bangalore, Mangalore, Kochi, Trivandrum and Kannur.
Roads are in bad condition and traffic is very heavy and undisciplined. Traffic blocks are a way of life.
- Autorikshaws charge ₹20.00 per km
- Buses charge only ₹7.00 for three km.
- Ettikkulam Beach. Curvaceous palm fringed beach with rocky surroundings. Near Kannurgate of Naval Academy.
- Kandoth Juma Masjidh, Perumba (4 km). Majestic white building in a sprawling campus
- 1 Kankol Village (Kankole) (6 km). very scenic place.
- 2 Kavvayi Island (2 km). Rich people live here.
- Kottancherry Maha Kshethram, Velllur. Big and beautiful temple
- 3 Kunhi Mangalam village (Kunhimangalam) (10 km). very green and scenic
- Malayalam Language Institute, Kandoth.
- Sree Malliyottu Palottu kavu, Kunhimangalam.
- Sree Muchilot Bhagavathi Temple, Ramanthali.
- Sree Muchilot Kavu, Korom.
- Sree Rayarothidam Someswari Temple, Padinjarekkara.
- Subramanya Swamy Temple (1 km).
- 4 Trikaripur Seaside Village (6 km). Very peaceful village with sandy footpaths.
- 5 Valiyaparamba Backwaters (15 km).
- Edat Kannangad Temple (Kannagad Edat), Edat, Kunhimangalam. Edat Kannangad Temple, main among 11 kannangad. About 11 theyyams perform. Festival once every two years
- Poorakkali. Ancient dance festival
- Island Walk, Kavvayi Island, Near the Railway Station (3 km). Silent island of the local elites
- Photography tour by train. Slow trains are called Passenger Trains in India. They are very cheap and punctual. They stop in all small railway stations and give you an opportunity to see the villages from inside and to absorb things slowly. They do not move very slowly, they are only 20% slower than the express trains. Here is a list of railway stations between Payyanur and Kannur where the slow trains will stop: Ezhimala, Payangadi, Kannapuram, Pappinishery, Chirakkal, Kannur.
- Trekking @ Chandera, Chandera (11 km). Take a slow train ("Passenger Trains") from Payyanur railway station to Chandera railway station. This is a very rural railway station without any road access. Only Passenger trains stop here. The railway station surroundings are very beautiful with paddy fields, banana cultivation and coconut plantations. You can also access the Valiyaparamba beach from here by boat.
- Watch Theyyam Dance. Look for select temples during the right season
- Visit ancienat family houses, Iruttan Tharavad, Aramana Tharavad, Kandoth (6 km).
- Bake Fresh Fast Food, Perumba Junction (3 km).
- Bake World, Main Road.
- 1 Bamboo Fresh, Near Girls School (1 km).
- Casa Restaurant, Edat (2 km).
- Chillis Restaurant, Near CITU office (1 km).
- Grand Dubai Restaurant, Kandoth (6 km).
- Green Park Hotel, Edat (2 km).
- Igloo Cool Bar, Main Road.
- Indian Coffee House, Royal Complex, ☏ .
- Kairaly Hotel, Perumba. Opp. Bus Station (1 km).
- Kamala Bakery, Main Road (23 km).
- Kudumbashree Restaurant, Near Woodlex furniture, Opp Bus station. Economy restaurant run by village women
- Steak House, Perumba (1 km), ☏ .
- Top Form Restaurant, near bus station, ☏ .
- Cafe Jucoberry, M.M.Centre. European style burgers, pizza. ₹200.
- Babuvettan's Thattukada, Kallettan Kadavu, Ramanthali Road. Muttayappam and Chicken parts.
- Kuttanadan Food Fest, Pilathara. Cassava, Duck Roast, Squid Fry.
- Eettillam Restaurant, Pilathara. Famous for their beef chili.
- Avil Milk Corner, Opposite Central Bank, Pilathara. Avil Milk with Varutha Avil.
Rajadhani Supermaraket, Perumba.
- K. K. Residency, Opp. Bus Station, Perumba (2 km), ☏ . ₹2,250.
- KBC Green Park, Edat, ☏ .