Jump to navigation Jump to search
Pickering is a historic market town in the Ryedale district of North Yorkshire.
- The nearest railway station is in Malton (with First TransPennine Express services running hourly to Scarborough and York, with the latter continuing, with stops, to Liverpool) or Whitby (with services by Northern Rail to Middlesbrough). Then, take the bus in. If you're in Whitby, you could alternatively take a steam/diesel train on the North Yorkshire Moors heritage railway.
- Yorkshire Coastliner buses operate between Leeds, Tadcaster, and York, with 4 buses an hour most of the day on Mondays to Saturdays. Services continue to Malton every 30 mins daytime and approximately every hour during evenings and Sundays. Beyond Malton buses continue to Pickering and Scarborough (approximately) hourly.
- If you're driving in, the A169 runs to Malton and Whitby, whilst the A170 runs to Thirsk, Helmsley and Scarborough
- There are car parks on Eastgate (near the roundabout), The Ropery and Vivis Lane. Whilst The Ropery is short stay, Vivis Lane and Eastgate are long stay. All three car parks are operated by Ryedale County Council.
- It is easy to walk around Pickering, with its size. There are not a lot of other alternatives, either.
- 1 Beck Isle Museum of Rural Life, Bridge St.. mid-Feb - mid-Nov, daily 10AM - 4PM (Apr-Sep 10AM - 5PM). social history museum £6.00.
- 2 Eden Camp. World War II Prisoner of War Camp. Also near the neighbouring town of Malton.
- 3 Pickering Castle, Castlegate, YO18 7AX, ☏ . Heritage 13th century castle. adults £4.00, children £2.40, concessions £3.60.
- 4 Nunnington Hall, Nunnington, near York, YO62 5UY (12 miles west of Pickering), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1 Flamingo Land Theme Park and Zoo.
- 2 North Yorkshire Moors heritage railway. Travel by steam/diesel train to Grosmont and Whitby
- Trout Farm, Undercliffe, Pickering. Fishing lake
- Caffe Stop, 1 Eastgate Square, Pickering, YO18 7DP. A family-run cafe with breakfast, lunch, coffee, drinks, and snacks if you're hungry. Family suitable, and provides takeaways, table service and outdoor seating.
- Pizza Figaro.
- Spice 4 U, 41 Hungate, Pickering, YO18 7DG. Finest Indian cuisine located on the main road (A170) of Pickering.
- Rose Inn.
- White Swan Hotel.
- Hungate Cottages, Hungate Cottages, Pickering, North Yorkshire, YO18 7ET, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 11 unique comfy cottages close to town centre but also very peaceful. It is rather popular, especially when events happen in Pickering and in the holidays.