Plant City is in Central Florida. Incorporated in 1885, it is known as the "Winter Strawberry Capital of the World" because over three-quarters of the nation's midwinter strawberries come from Plant City.
The city is known for its strawberries, particularly during the winter season, but this is not the origin of the city's name. It was named after railroad developer Henry Plant. The town's first name was "Ichepuckesassa," a Native American name, but pronunciation challenges caused it to be renamed, first to "Cork" after the city in Ireland, until Henry Plant's railroad brought economic success to the town.
Plant City is known for having higher quality soil than the surrounding area. As is found across much of Florida, the wet season lasts during summer, with the "dry" season occurring across the other months. Rainfall is fairly high throughout the year, with a total of 56 in (1,400 mm) in an average year, enabling strawberries to grow.
- 1 Bing Rooming House Museum, 205 Allen St, ☏ , ✉ BingHouseMuseum@tampabay.rr.com. Small museum focused on the struggle against racial segregation in Plant City and Florida.
- 2 Robert W. Willaford Railroad Museum (Plant City Union Depot), 102 N Palmer St (near Northeast Drane Street). The depot, designed by J.F. Leitner, was built in 1909. As a part of the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad — or the "A Line" — and the Seaboard Air Line Railroad — or the "S Line" — it connected Plant City to major Florida cities including Tampa, Sarasota, and Miami. At its peak it was Florida's second busiest hub after Jacksonville and was used by farmers to ship millions of quarts of strawberries per year. It closed in 1971 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places four years later. It was redesignated as a railroad museum in the 2010s after years of restoration.
- 2 Florida Strawberry Festival, 303 Berryfest Pl, ☏ .
- Strawberry Classic Car Show. Monthly car show in McCall Park.
- 1 Plant City Outlet Mall, 1864 James L Redman Pkwy, ☏ .
- 1 Smokin' Aces BBQ, 2509 N Park Rd, ☏ . Tu–Th Su 11AM–8PM, F–Sa 11AM–9PM.
- 2 Strawberry Hut, 1505 N Wheeler St, ☏ . 6:30AM–6:30PM; closed Su.
- 1 Keel and Curley, 5202 Thonotosassa Rd, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M–Th 11AM–9PM, F Sa 11AM–11PM, Su 11AM–7PM.
- 1 Hampton Inn, 2702 Thonotosassa Road, ☏ . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: noon.
- 2 Holiday Inn Express & Suites, 2102 Park Rd, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. $123+ per night.
- Orlando, to the east, is the location of Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando.
- Tampa, to the west, is the main city in the county.
|Routes through Plant City|
|Tampa ← Brandon ←||W E||→ Lakeland → Orlando|