Portorož (Italian: Portorose, literally "Port of Roses"), is an Adriatic - Mediterranean coast settlement in the Municipality of Piran in south-west of Slovenia. Its modern development began in the late 19th century with appearance of first health resorts. In the early 20th century, it became one of the grandest seaside resorts in Central Europe, along with Opatija, Lido and Grado, then as part of the Austrian Littoral. It is now one of the country's major tourist areas. Located in the centre is the Hotel Palace, once one of the most important resorts for the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, and one of the finest hotels between Venice and Dubrovnik.
Portorož has a small international airport , used by charter flights and general aviation. Trieste (Trst) in Italy is about 30 minutes away by car (Trieste Airport is however in Ronchi, near Gorizia, 60 min away), while the distance to the Slovenian capital Ljubljana is about 1-1½ hours (120 km).
All buses to or from Piran stop in Portorož along the way.
A travel planner for buses is available at https://www.ap-ljubljana.si/en/
- 1 Forma viva. An open sculpture park 2.5 km south of Portoroz center past the marina, mainly located on the small peninsula Seča with beautiful views of the sea; this is one of four 'forma viva' (*living form*) sculpture parks and themed for stone sculptures. It is administered by Obalne galerije Portorož.
- 1 Rizibizi, Vilfanova 10 (Follow Obala road toward Piran, when it goes uphill turn right.), ☏ . 12:00-23:00.
- Kempinski Palace. Five-star hotel built in 1910 and reopened in 2008. A tourist attraction by itself.
- 1 Hotel Vile Park, Obala 2 (On the road between Piran and Portoroz), ☏ . Hotel with access to spa/swimming pool. Somewhat outside Portoroz center in walking distance.
- Piran. A bus links Portorož to nearby Piran, a beautifully preserved gem of a Venetian city.
- Trieste is the nearest larger city.
- Ljubljana, capital of Slovenia and a two-hour bus drive from Portoroz
- Venice can be reached by boat or bus.