Puhoi is a historic village with a population of about 500. It was first settled in the 1860s by immigrants from Bohemia in the Czech Republic. At that time it was very isolated, with access being up the Puhoi River by boat. The term "up the Boohai", referring to the Puhoi River by a corruption of its name, became New Zealand slang for any remote rural location. The village has been used as a location for several films.
- 1 Intercity. Puhoi is served by coaches running between Auckland and Kerikeri, with 4 coaches per day in each direction. Coaches stop at the Puhoi turn-off on SH1.
- 1 Puhoi Heritage Museum (Bohemian Settlers Museum), 77 Puhoi Rd. Small settlers museum housed in the former convent school.
- 2 Church of Saints Peter and Paul, 83 Puhoi Rd. Roman Catholic church opened in 1881.
- Puhoi River Canoe Hire, 84 Puhoi Rd. Paddle down the Puhoi River from the village to Wenderholm Regional Park, taking 2 hours, with return by courtesy shuttle to Puhoi. Can also do longer or shorter canoe trips.
- Puhoi General Store, 109 Puhoi Rd. Sells takeaways, as well as general goods.
- 1 Puhoi Valley Cheese Factory. Daily 10AM-4PM. Makes artisan cheeses, with tastings cafe and shop. Makes a wide range of European style cheeses and yogurts.
- 1 Puhoi Pub, 5 Saleyards Rd. Established in 1879 and earlier known as the German Hotel, it is popular not only with the locals, but also with people from the city out for a drink at a characterful old country pub.