Raipur is the largest city in Chhattisgarh. It had been the seat of government of the state until the formation of Naya Raipur. There is not a great deal for visitors to see with most tourists visiting the surrounding region.
- 1 Swami Vivekananda Airport (RPR IATA, Raipur Airport) (20 km (12 mi) south of city centre). For travelling from the airport to the city centre, it is better to book a taxi in advance. Services like Uber, Ola and Rapido are available in the city. The travel counter in the airport has high prices. The taxi drivers outside the airport charge the same high rates as the counter if not booked in advance.
Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Nagpur, Bhubaneswar, Bhopal, Pune, Jamshedpur and Ambikapur are accessible by train. There are many shops near the station, including an internet café across from Raipur Junction (orange sign).
- 2 Raipur Junction railway station.
Autos and city buses are available from the train and bus station. Booking through a mobile app is cheaper if you want to save a few rupees.
Raipur and the nearby Naya Raipur are served by the Raipur and Naya Raipur Bus Rapid Transit System (Raipur-Naya Raipur BRTS) since 2016.
- 1 Mahant Ghasi Memorial Museum (near Kutchery chowk intersection). a small but well maintained museum with exhibits on the history of the state and an impressive collection of carvings, upstairs has a display of tribal artifacts and models. The museum ground has a beautiful open air restaurant where you can try interesting tribal food at street food prices, There is also a well equipped government tourist office, recommended. Museum, 5 rupees.
- Banjari Mata Mandir, Bilaspur Road.
- 2 Mahaveer Park (Anupam Garden).
- Nagar Ghadi (City Clock Tower) (Near the Shastri Chowk and Dau Kalyan Singh hospital).
- Nandanvan Zoo/garden, Bhilai Road.
- Urja Park, Mana Road.
- 3 Vivekananda Sarovar (Budha Talab). A large statue in the center of a somewhat shabby lake (under refurbishment). Built in honour of Swami Vivekanada who was chief disciple of the 19th-century Indian mystic Ramakrishna and is credited with introducing yoga and Vedanta to the western world. There are boat rides in the evening.
- Raipur town hall, a renovated Victorian-era hall between the station and bus stand. (Collectorate, Kachche Wali Chowk Garden Ke Paas, Raipur)
Visit the city's shopping malls (Chhattisgarh Mall, RK mall, Magneto The Mall, Big Bazaar and Kishore shopping mall).
As Raipur is a hub for clothing sales, you can purchase fine garments cheaply at Pandri Market. Dealers of whole Chhattisgarh are found in one place at Pandri Market.
- Chowpaty in front of Salem English School
- Have some desi ghee tikki at Phool chowk
- Wada and imarti at Sadar Bazaar & Ashram.
- Kachori from Saurashtra Mishtaan, Raipur.
- Kachori from Sahu Nashta, Rathore Chowk
- Balushahi from Ramji Halwai, Ramsagar Para
- Marine Drive Chowpatty
- Katora Talab Food Court
- Chowpatty Infront of NIT Raipur
- Indian Coffee House, Civil Lines, University Grounds, NIT, Medical College, Shastri Chowk & Pandri(six branches).
- Ten Downing Street (TDS), at Magneto The Mall.
- Eat Drink Love (EDL), at Ambuja City Center.
- The Music Cafe (TMC), at Ambuja City Center.
- Firangi Paani, at Magneto The Mall.
There are many cheap hotels near the main station and on "Station Chowk" road, turn left leaving after leaving Raipur Junction train station and follow the main road east. Rooms starting from ₹300 and dormitories starting from ₹100.
- Hotel Chimambara International VIP Crossing, PO Ravigram, Raipur 4920001. Tel (0771) 2444401–09; Fax (0771) 2444410; Email firstname.lastname@example.org. A basic business hotel, AC, close to the airport. ₹1500-₹2500.
- Hotel Royale Ambience, Shri Guru Gobind Singh Chowk, Fafadih, Station Rd, ☏ . A deluxe business hotel, AC, close to the railway station.
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Hyatt Raipur
- Mayfair Resorts
Hotel VW Canyon, Hotel Sayaji, Hotel Babylon International, Hotel Sarovar Portico and Hotel Vennington Court are among the best 4 star hotels.
Jagdalpur, A city in Bastar (south) used as a stepping stone to Chitrakote waterfall, Indravati valley national park and the tribal areas. The overnight bus is the best option (500 Rupees from the bus stand) as the train takes around 15 hours. There is an armed conflict in this region so follow the news.
Sitanadi Wildlife Sanctuary, over 556 km2 and having an altitude of between 327 and 736 m above the sea level the park offers year-round wildlife viewing (It is uncertain if the park is open to foreign tourists due to the ongoing armed conflict in the area)
|Routes through Raipur|
|Nagpur ← Bhilai ←||W E||→ Naya Raipur → Sambalpur|