Rajahmundry was founded in the 11th century by Raja Raja Narendra.
Telugu, is the major language. Almost everyone can understand a few words in English and it should be sufficient for basic conversations and transactions. Local people born after 1980 may be able to converse in fluent English as that language has been taught in the schools for many years.
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The climate is mostly hot and humid, with mostly a tropical climate and therefore no distinct seasons. The mean maximum temperature is 36 °C. The hottest season is from April to June, with temperatures ranging from 34 -48 °C -- with maximum of 51 °C recorded in May 2007. The coolest months are December and January, when it is pleasant at 27 –30 °C. There is a lot of rain due to the monsoon and cyclonic storms in the Bay of Bengal.
- 1 Rajahmundry Airport (RJA IATA) (The airport is 12km away from the city centre at Madhurapudi). Served by flights from Hyderabad and Chennai. SpiceJet operates flights. Most flights are to/from Hyderabad.
Prepaid cabs are available.
- 2 Rajahmundry Railway Station (almost at the centre of the city), ☏ (Train timetables). The city is on the Howrah-Chennai main line running across the eastern coast. It is 150 km (2½ hours) from Vijayawada and 220 km (3½ hours) from Visakhapatnam which has international flights. All the trains between Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada stop here.
The cheapest mode of transport are autos. Tourists should fix a rate beforehand and make sure the driver knows the destination. Taxis are available at the railway station.
Located on NH5, the city is on the east portion of the Golden Quadrilateral connecting Kolkata and Chennai.
- The main APSRTC bus complex is located on the Morampudi High Road.
- The Kotipalli bus stand is in Innispet.
- Gokavaram bus stand is in Aryapuram.
- The Kakinada bus stand is near Kambalcheruvu.
There only way to visit Rajahmundry by boat is from Bhadrachalam via the River Godavari.
- 1 Cotton Museum (Sir Arthur Cotton Museum).
- 2 Damerla Ramarao International Art Gallery, Between Godavari Railway Station and Gokavaram Bus Stand. Art gallery of a famous artist Damerla Ramarao now managed by State Government of Andhra Pradesh.
- 3 Dowleswaram barrage.
- 4 Goutami Ghat.
- 5 ISKCON Temple, Tyagaraja Nagar.
- 6 ONGC base complex (Kendriya Vidyalaya ONGC).
- 7 Rallabandi Subbarao Archaeological Museum, Gowthami Bund Road, Opposite Thyagaraya Kala Samithi.
- River Bay Water park.
- 8 Sri Veerabhadra Swamy Temple, Pattiseema. On a hill known as Devakuta Parvatha in the middle of the Godavari river. Pattiseema is 120 km from Eluru and is picturesquely located on a hillock known as Devakuta Parvatha in the middle of the river Godavari. In mythology, Veerabhadra was born out of the lock of Shiva's hair during his tandava performance on sighting his wife getting burnt in the fire of the yagna being conducted by Daksha, his father-in-law. You have to cross the river on board a crude motorboat to reach the temple.
There are many ritual places of visit including Draksharama, Kotipalli, Samalkot, Pattiseema the famous Siva temples. One temple at Ryali has both a god and a goddess in a single idol called Jaganmohini Avataram.
Other local destinations are; Maredumilli, Dowleswaram, Annavaram, Dvaraka Tirumala, Water Park, Gowthamighat, Iskon Temple, Pushkar Ghat, Everbusy RJY Main Market.
- Godavari cruise.
- Cruise Boat Service from Rajahmundry Papikondalu. Scenic views Godavari River Cruise. papikondalu trip up&down would cost from Rajahmundry at ₹600.
- Bamboo Cottages Huts. Kolluru island. A/C cruise with vegetarian and non-vegetarian food available and an overnight stay at the huts on the island.
- Go to a movie: Rajahmundry is one of the highest centres of box office revenues in South India. On an average day gross collections would be over ₹8 million.
Rajahmundry is also called Southern Bombay. It is the commercial capital of the two Godavari Districts. The city is famous for textile business.
Mahatma Gandhi Wholesale Cloth Complex has around 500 wholesale cloth shops catering to the retailers in Godavari, Khammam and Visakha districts. A wide variety of clothes is available at lower prices.
Rajahmundry is also famous for variety of furniture manufacturers. Top quality furniture is bought by people from nearby districts. One of the most reputed furniture manufacturers is 'Madireddy Bangaram and Sons' who've been in this field since 1909.
Rajahmundry is home to many traditional pen-making shops (e.g., Ratnam Pens near Fort Gate) where people can place orders for a variety of vintage-style fountain pens in bulk.
- 1 Vijayas Designers, 79-17-5/8, Raja Street, Near Tilak Road Sai Temple (Very near to RTC Bus Complex), ☏ . 10AM-10PM. Exclusive designerwear store for women. Prices vary. Mostly the collection is ethnic wear, hand crafted, bridal collection and party wear.
- Green Park Family Restaurant, ☏ . Danavaipet, Rajahmundry.
- Eat and Play, A.V.A. Rd, Rajahmundryi, ☏ .
- Gangaraju Kova, T.nagar Rajahmundry, ☏ . Milk kova and putharekulu.
- Rose milk center, Main road, Rajahmundry, ☏ . Famous for its rose milk and kova.
- Laxman Rao Bajjila Bandi, Kanchumarti Vari St (near main road), ☏ . Water luring bajjis of different varieties of vegetables like potato, chilli, brinjal, tomato, capsicum and also famous for paper, boondi, and pakodi.
- Satish (Mixer stall), Kanchumarthi Vari St (next to Pothula Paddayya gari Building), ☏ . Bajjis, such as brinjal, mirchi, capsicum and some spicy stuff.
There are a wide variety of options for travellers, from business travellers, to nature lovers.
- 1 Akanksha Inn (across the road from the railway station).
- 2 Akshay Residency, Door No: 7-28-3, Kumari Talkies Road, ☏ .
- 3 Anand Regency, ☏ . 3-star hotel within the city. Vegetarian and multi-cuisine restaurants, a bar, WiFi and a gymnasium. From US$34-134.
- 4 La Hospin Hotel, Pushkarghat Road, ☏ .
- 5 Hotel Shelton Rajamahendri, APSRTC Complex Rd, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. 3-star hotel in the commercial district. From ₹1,950 to ₹3,700 per room/night.
- 6 Hotel Jetty Grand, Vygram Road, ☏ .
- 7 River bay, ☏ . Resort on the banks of the Godavari River. Primarily for leisure travellers. Restaurants, boat rides on the river, swimming pool, gymnasium and a small water park. US$34-134.
- 8 Sangam Residency, 36-26-5 Kotipalli Bus Stand, ☏ .
Government and major private hospitals
- Abhaya Emergency Hospital, Syamala Nagar
- Akira Eye Hospital, Papermill Rd, Aryapuram, Rajahmundry
- Alert Emergency Hospital
- Apex Hospitals
- Bollineni Heart Care Centre
- Chakradhar Hospitals
- The District Hospital of the East Godavari district
- ESI Hospital
- Government Hospital, Rajahmundry
- GSL Medical College and Hospital, Diwancheruvu
- Haritha Hospital
- Life Emergency Hospital
- Prasad neuro hospitals
- Raju Neuro and Multispeciality Hospitals
- Raju Rehabilitation Centre, (Rehabilitation centre for paralysis)
- Sai orthopedic
- Sri ram nursing home (Dr Uttama Lakshmi hospital)
- Suraksha Emergency Hospital
- Swatantra Institute of Medical Sciences (SIMS), Kambala Tank
- Vasan Eye Care Hospital
- Yogananda Nethralaya, Vemagiri
- Annavaram 70 km
- Ryali, 40 km from Rajahmundry, 74 km from Kakinada and 34 km from Amalapuram and it is between the rivers Vashista and Gautami, and tributaries of Godavari River. This is the site of the Jagan Mohini Kesava Swamy temple. The exquisite idol, made of black stone depicting Maha Vishnu and Mohini on its front and rear sides, is a real marvel of sculptural dexterity.