Romney Marsh is in Kent.
Romney Marsh is a sparsely populated wetland area on the Kent/East Sussex border. There are a number of small villages and settlements in the area including New Romney, Lydd and Dungeness.
Appledore and Hythe are the nearest railway stations.
Bus 11 runs from Ashford to Lydd. Bus 101 runs from Hythe to New Romney.
- The flat terrain and quiet lanes are ideal for cycling. National Cycle Route 2 runs across the Marsh between Hastings and Folkestone.
- 1 Derek Jarman's Garden (Prospect Cottage). A famous and unusual beach garden. The garden is now in private ownership with no public access. It can be seen from road.
- 2 Camber Sands beach.
- 3 Romney Marsh Visitor Centre.
- 1 Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway.
- Dungeness RSPB. Nature reserve with bird-spotting facilities.
- 2 Dungeness Power Station Tour. M-F 9AM-4PM. Guided tours of this working nuclear power station are free but must be booked at least 3 weeks in advance.
Eat and drink
- The Pilot. Pub with meals available at Dungeness.
- Bell Inn, Ivychurch Road, Brenzett, Ivychurch, Kent TN29 0AL, ☏ .
- 1 Ship Hotel, 83 High St, New Romney, ☏ .
- 2 Romney Bay House, Coast Road, Littlestone, New Romney TN28 8QY (on Littlestone Golf Course), ☏ . Friendly little 1920s hotel, great dining. No children under 13, assistance dogs only. B&B double £120.
|Routes through Romney Marsh|
|Hastings ← Rye ←||W NE||→ Hythe → Folkestone|