Sandwich is a village in Kent. The Earl of Sandwich is noted for the 'creation' of the sandwich snack.
Sandwich is one of the Cinque Ports, the five most important trading ports between that part of England and France.
Trains from London St Pancras run hourly and take 90 min via Stratford, Ebbsfleet (for Eurostar), Ashford, Folkestone, Dover Priory and Deal to Sandwich. They continue along the coast to Ramsgate, Broadstairs and Margate, then loop back towards London via Whitstable and Faversham.
- 1 Sandwich station. is just south of town centre. Southeastern trains call here.
Walk, although it is designated a town, it is the size of a small village.
- 1 Guildhall Museum, Cattle Market, CT13 9AH. W-Su 10AM – 4PM. 16th century. Can you see which part is an extension from the 1960s? The museum was refurbished in 2017.
- 2 Toll bridge. The original bridge was authorised by the Sandwich Bridge Act 1755, and the present iron swing bridge was built in 1892. Tolls were abolished in 1977.
- 3 Richborough Roman Fort and Amphitheatre, Off Richborough Road, ☏ . Situated to the north of Sandwich, the fort is a collection of many phases of Roman remains that are still visible today and are under the auspices of English Heritage. The fort stands in the middle of an area thought to be the sight of the Claudian Invasion of 43 AD. Described by English Heritage as 'perhaps the most symbolically important of all Roman sites in Britain'. Adults £5.00, children £3.00, concessions £4.50.
- 4 The Secret Gardens of Sandwich, The Salutation, Knightrider St, ☏ . Salutation House was built by Edwin Lutyens in 1912.
- 5 Fisher Gate, Quay Lane. A three storey town gate, the lower part of which dates from about 1384, with the upper part dating from in 1578.
- Walk along the tow path beside the river.
- 6 Play Golf at Royal St George's. Several Open Championships have been held here including the 2011 and 2021 championships. round £190.
- 1 George & Dragon. Restaurant and pub. An inn was built on the site in 1446, and the name “George and Dragon” was registered in 1615. pint of ale £3.90, dinner mains from £11.
- 1 The Kings Arms, 65 Strand St, ☏ . Very old inn with beer garden, excellent food (best to reserve a table) with very good breakfast, adequate sized and furnished rooms, car parking, friendly and efficient staff.
- 2 The Bell Hotel, The Quay, ☏ .
- The wonderful "Salutation" alas went bust in 2020.
As of Jan 2021, Sandwich has 4G from EE. The other carriers cover the industrial zone to the north but have patchy coverage in town. 5G has not yet reached this area.
- Faversham for the national fruit collection and breweries.