Faversham is a town in the English county of Kent, UK. The history of the town can traced back 2000 years to Roman times. Explosives were a major local industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Trains to 1 Faversham station are operated by SouthEastern from London Charing Cross (via Dartford) and London Victoria. Trains from Ramsgate and Dover also serve Faversham. The Javelin high speed service operates every 30 minutes from London St Pancras. There is a supplement for using this service unless travelling from outside of the London region.
Many trains from London to Ramsgate and Dover leave London as a single train and split in two at Faversham. If boarding at Faversham and travelling East or South it is important to get in the right train as there will be two trains on the one platform after the split.
- 1 National Fruit Collection at Brogdale Farm, Brogdale Road, ME13 8XZ (about 1 mile from the town centre). Apr - Oct: daily 10AM-5PM. A farm growing rare varieties of fruit, particularly apples. Best visited in Sep or Oct. Shop open all year. £10.
- 2 Mad Cat Brewery (next Brogdale Farm). Easter-Oct: Sa 10AM-4PM, Su 10AM-2PM. Microbrewery.
- 3 Maison Dieu, ME13 8TS, ☏ . Sa Su 2PM-5PM. This flint- and timber-framed building displays Roman artefacts. Adults £2.50, children £1.50, concessions £1.00.
- 4 Fleur de Lis Museum. M-Sa 10AM-4PM. Museum of town history and art gallery. £5, gallery free.
- 1 Shepherd Neame Brewery, 11 Court Street, ME13 7AX. This brewery was founded in 1698 and claims to be Britain's oldest. Tours (£11.50) take about 2 hours and run most days, best booked in advance.
The main shopping area is the pedestrianised part of Preston Street, which has M&Co, Boots and Superdrug.
- 1 Co-op, Forbes Road, Faversham ME13 8QG (near the railway station). Small supermarket.
- 2 Tesco, Crescent Rd, ME13 7AS. M-Sa 6AM-midnight, Su 10AM-4PM. Largish supermarket with clothes and a petrol station.
- 3 Morrisons, North Lane. M-Sat 7AM-9PM, Su 10AM-4PM. Supermarket.
Faversham is home to Britain's oldest brewery (see above), so this town is ideal for sampling a beer or two.
- 1 Faversham Creek Hotel, Conduit St, ME13 7DF, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Rooms from £95 per night.
- 2 Sun Inn (Shepherd Neame), 10 West Street, ME13 7JE, ☏ . Rooms from £85 per night.
- 3 Read's, Macknade Manor, Canterbury Rd ME13 8XE, ☏ . Charming hotel in Georgian mansion, and the dining is outstanding. B&B double £180.
- 4 Old Vicarage, Church Hill, Doddington ME9 0BD, ☏ . B&B in a bright stylish Georgian villa. In 2020 they only offer self-catering in the Coach House. B&B double £110.
|Routes through Faversham|
|London ← Sittingbourne ←||NW SE||→ merges with → Canterbury/Dover|