Europe > Central Europe > Slovakia > Central Slovakia > Liptov > Ruzomberok
The city lies on a cross of historical and current trade routes. Historically, it was part of Likava - which is a village right next to it.
It is similar in character to other cities in the region (like Liptovský Mikuláš or Martin). Major employer in the city is Mondi SCP, a paper-making/processing company. Currently the city also hosts one of the biggest Slovak colleges - "Katolícka univerzita".
Major train route also has a stop at the 1 main train station. Next to it, there's also a bus station, where inter-city and inter-country busses operate. Another way to get in is of course by car, from all 4 world directions.
Private car is the most common way of transport, but the city has a public bus network which operates in around 1/2-1h intervals on the most common routes. The buses also operate to the nearby villages, mostly from the main station. Taxis operate mainly from the bus station and around city center (at Hotel Kultúra).
Apart from a few hilly parts (Klačno, Baničné, Cemetery surroundings), most of the town is easily accessible by bicycle, within ~20 minutes. The city center is also reasonably accessible by foot, 30 minutes should suffice in most cases.
- 1 Vlkolínec (Turn from road 59 next to "Vlčí dvor" restaurant, then follow signs up a valley.). One of only few folk villages which survived intact in Central Europe and is nominated in the UNESCO World Heritage List. Vlkolínec is famous for its folk architecture. Two of 45 houses can be visited from the inside as well. There is also a small art gallery, a church and a cemetery.
The village can only be reached by car (private or taxi). The village itself is closed to vehicles, but free parking is available.
- 2 (Námestie Andreja Hlinku). A relaxing, picturesque and quiet plaza on a small hill in the city center,
- 3 Likava castle. A partly reconstructed castle in the nearby village Likavka. Formerly a guarding point, it was destroyed and decayed into ruins. However, in recent years some of it's parts were restored and there are few historical exibitions currently in place.
Best way to visit the castle is starting at the street "Pod Hradom" in Likavka (infocenter available), and going uphill by foot. The road is relatively short, but refreshing walk through a forrest and/or meadow.
Beneath the castle, there are misc. events occurring at different time of year - for example historical battle reconstructions.
- 4 St. Ondrej church (Farský kostol sv. Ondreja).
- 5 Liptov museum (Liptovské múzeum) (Nearby the Kultúra hotel). A museum containing mostly permanent exhibitions revealing the history of the Liptov region and nature. In addition, there are several thematic exhibitions displayed.
- 6 Ľudovít Fulla Gallery (Galéria Ľudovíta Fullu), Dušana Makovického 1 (Nearby Liptovské Múzeum). A gallery containing art of a Slovak painter, one of the most important figures of Slovakian Creative Art in the 20th century.
- City center with shops and a few parks.
- History museum Havránok, showing history of former celtish settlings in the region.
Many attractions are present in or nearby the city.
Plenty of hiking trails exist in the surrounding mountains. Check openstreetmap project for detailed maps of hikes around the city.
- Few hours hikes to surrounding peaks include Čebrať (the most prominent hill), Mních (the one with a broadcast tower), and Sidorovo
- A pleasant hike through meadows from Vlkolínec to Malinô Brdo and back
- Panoramatic hikes to Malinné peak (it's possible to take Hrabovo cablecar for big part of the way), Tlstá hora and Veľký Choč (ideally from Valasská Dubová) are more demanding and good shoes are recommended, as well as weather forecast awareness.
- 1 Čutkovo valley. Great place for families - with playgrounds, meadows, restaurants, water stream and dam.
- 2 Small waterfalls in Čutkovo valley. About 4km up the valley, there are 2 signed paths up the side valeys/streams, towards small waterfalls: Jelení vodopád and Jemišné vodopády.
- A hour's drive from the city, it's possible to reach stunning mountains like High Tatras and Roháče (in Western Tatras)
- Multi-day hikes via mountain tops, sleeping in small shelters or (alpine) huts:
- 3 Bike road to Korytnica. A bike road in place of former "small train" track. Korytnica is a formerly famous spa area, currently somewhat degraded. There are some restaurants and mineral water springs in the area. The path partly follows a major road, thus it's not too ideal for nature lovers.
- Mountain biking in Malinô Brdo - more than 10 tracks of different dificulties available.
Many mountainous routes in the Čutkovo valley, Lubochňa valley and other surrounding areas.
- California. Summer sports (tennis, volleyball) and pizzeria next to the freestyle park.
- 5 Tenis bar. Tennis courts next to the football stadium.
- 6 Ice stadium. The ice stadium is open for casual and professional ice skating - check the timetables.
- Nearby mountains provide multiple possibilities of skiing (skibusses available in the winter), e.g. 7 Malinô Brdo. , Donovaly or Jasná.
- At the Liptovská Mara, there are some watersport activities possible.
- Speleology in the (mostly small) caves around the city.
- In the nearby villages, there are multiple water parks available, including:
- 8 Small animal shelter (On the meadow between Vlkolínec and Malinô Brdo). A place for relaxing with kids.
- 9 Hrabovo valley. Relaxation and walking in the valley/forests around, as well as zorbing, ziplining and wellness. Cablecar to Malinô Brdo has the lower station here.
- 1 Main shopping area (between streets Dončova and Podhora). A city center where most service and small shops reside
- 2 Multiple big shopping centers, Bystrická cesta. Kaufland, Lidl and several smaller shops
- 3 City market (Crossing of Bystrická and Tatranský roads). A small shop area - Billa supermarket, sport shop, electronics etc.
- 4 Tesco supermarket, Žilinská cesta.
Multiple restaurants and coffees are present in the city center. Most commonly regional food and Pizza are served. Also the Čutkovo and Hrabovo valleys provide multiple restaurant options - for example
Nearby the city, popular options include:
- road to Banská Bystrica - see South-Western Liptov (still just 10-15 minutes by car from center).
- road to Žilina: 2 Salaš Krajinka. Excellent local cheese factory, bakery and restaurant
- road to Dolný Kubín: 3 Koliba restaurant (Nearby Likava castle at the main road.). Local cuisine.
Multiple pubs are open in the city center.
Cozy ones include
- 1 Relax tea pub. Place where different informal/independent cultural events occur. Many types of tea available. Sitting in bags underlines the peaceful atmosphere.
- 3 Aquila tea club. A very laid-back and quiet place to enjoy a cup of tea.
- 4 Passé. Excellent coffee/hot chocolate are served here.
Multiple hotels and hostels are available, including
- 1 Hotel Áčko (On the main road under the Klačno suburb).
- 2 Penzion Andrej (Not so far from the city center, in a quiet street).
- 3 Hotel Kultúra (Right in the city center, 10 minutes walk from main station).