Sátoraljaújhely (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈʃaːtorɒjːɒ.uːjhɛj]; archaic German: Neustadt am Zeltberg; Slovak: Nové Mesto pod Šiatrom;Yiddish: איהעל (Ihel) or אוהעלי (Uhely)) is a town located in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county in northern Hungary near the Slovak border.
Parts of the city
- 1 Satoraljaujhely Bus Station (Sátoraljaújhelyi autóbusz-állomás), Fasor utca 19 (400 m S of Center), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Ticket office opening hours: M-Th 07:00-15:00, the last working day of the week (usually Friday) 07:00-12:30. Yellow phone line=+36 1 397 9797 (daily 08:00–20:00) http://www.borsodvolan.hu/ Borsod Volan is the local bus provider departing buses: Hollókő (30 km via Füzér, at least daily three-five), Nyíregyháza (77 km, at least two per day, one and half to two hours), Debrecen (130 km, at least two per day, three hours), Sárospatak (13 km, at least nine per day, 20 min), no direct bus to Budapest or even Miskolc (102 km, only one direct per day, 2hr 40min, train is much better)
- 2 Satoraljaujhely Train Station (Sátoraljaújhely vasútállomás), Fasor utca 19 (500 m S of Center), ☎ . Regular trains to Miskolc and Budapest
- 3 Slovenské Nové Mesto Train Station (Slovenské Nové Mesto železničná stanica), Slovakia, Slovenské Nové Mesto, Hraničná 13/10 (Walk across the border around 500 m from Center).
The city center walkable. For suburbs use local bus.
- 4 Tourinform Sátoraljaújhely (Tourinform Iroda), Hősök tere 3, Kossuth tér 5 (Center), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Tourist information Office. Maps, free brochures, souvenirs.
- 1 Historical downtown (Történelmi Belváros), Kossuth Lajos tér (Center). with an atmosphere of 19th-century towns
- 2 St. Stephen's Church church (Szent István király római katolikus főplébániatemplom, Nagytemplom), Széchenyi tér 10 (Center), ☎ , fax: . By appointment. Main Roman Catholic parish church. Founded in 1482, rebuilt in 1860, extended in 1910. - Professional guidance: available Free.
- 3 Wine Church (Bortemplom) (S 1 km). the only known church in Hungary not owned by any denomination, as it was used to store wine in past centuries. Now Trade House
- 4 St. Michael the Archangel Greek Catholic Church (Szent Mihály Főangyal Görög Katolikus Templom), Rudabányácska, Bányácska út 74 (Four km NW), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. By appointment. The church was built in 1774 in the Baroque style, rebuilt 1888. The church Indulgence: November 8, but in June held on last Sunday. Free.
- 5 Greek Catholic Church (Görög katolikus templom), Kazinczy út 49 (Center), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily, by appointment. It is one of the oldest Hungarian catholic churches. The church was built in 1738, its tower, with a chronost icon is in Slavic language, was erected in 1777. Its beautiful iconostas was probably made in Galicia, Ukraine. Free.
- 6 Reformed church (Református templom), Petofi Sándor u. 7, (Center). Built between 1784 and 1789, Late Baroque) in a courtyard. Copf style building. Built in 1784-1789, renewed in 1889. The nave has a trapezoidal closure. On the ledge of clock is a pyramid-ended, tin tower.
- 7 [dead link] Assumption Pauline piarist church and former monastery, Rákóczi chapel (Nagyboldogasszony Pálos-piarista templom és rendház, Rákóczi-kápolna), Barátszeren, Deák Ferenc utca 12. (Center), ☎ , fax: . The main heritage sights are in the old part of Sátoraljaújhely, the so-called Barátszer. The early Gothic church (1280's), later was rebuilt in the baroque facade. The "white friars" or Pauline monks began to build the monastery in the second half of the 13th century. The 14th-century early Gothic church of the currently Piarist monastery, again in church ownership, gained its Baroque front in a later reconstruction. The baroque high altar is by the sculptor János György Strécius of Lőcse. Ferenc Rákóczi I added the small chapel to the southern side of the church. The Pauline martyr György Csepellény, the counter-Reformation activist, rests in the crypt. The beautiful baroque high altar of the church creates devotional atmosphere. It used to be pauline, and is now piarist church. The Baroque principal altar made by sculptor János György Strécius from Levoča. Now there is also the College of Kossuth Lajos Secondary Piarist School. Free.
- Sacred Heart of Jesus Roman Catholic Church (Jézus Szíve római katolikus templom), Sátoraljaújhely-Széphalom.
- 8 Ferenc Kazinczy Museum (Kazinczy Ferenc Múzeum), Dózsa Gy. út 11. (Center), ☎ , fax: . Tu-Su 09:00-17:00. One-story historic building. In 1827 was built by Charles Sennyei classical style. A unit of the Hermann Otto Museum. This museum is a regional scientific and cultural centre, a base point for the Kazinczy and Kossuth cults and research in natural sciences in the Zemplén hills and the Bodrogköz areas. It has four-five temporary exhibitions in the 200 m² hall per year. Adult/reduced Ft 600/300.
- 9 [dead link] Prison Museum (Börtönmúzeum), Kazinczy utca 35 (Center), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. May-Aug: Tu-Sa 09:00-17:00, Su 10:00-16:00; Sep-Apr Tu-F 08.30-16.00, Sa 08.30-13.00. Exhibition about history of imprisonment Adults: HUF 700 Students and pensioners: HUF300.
- 10 The Hungarian language Museum (A magyar nyelv Múzeuma), Széphalom, Kazinczy út 275 (north 6 km), ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. Apr-Sep: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00; Oct-Mar: 08:00-16:00 to groups by appointment +36 47 521-236. Professional guidance: Hungarian, English and German. The museum presents the past of the Hungarian language, his present and his future. The main sections of this: The Hungarian language between the world's languages, the past of Hungarian language, Hungarian dialects, technical languages, slang, e-nyelv, the vitality of mother tongue. The art exhibition received place on Pásztor Emil Gallery. The neologism exhibition the enlightenment age Hungarian neologism, presents his antecedents and his consequences graphically concerned for it: with coloured pictures and substantial texts. Adults: Ft 600, for students and pensioners: Ft 300.
- 11 Comitatus Fountain, Széchenyi István tér (Center).
- Ferenc Kazinczy Mausoleum (Kazinczy Ferenc Emlékcsarnok), Széphalom, Kazinczy u. 275. (See at the Hungarian language Museum), ☎ . Apr-Oct: Tu-Su 09:00-17:00; Nov-Mar: 08:00-16:00. This is a monument building, built in neoclassical style, in 1873 designed by Miklós Ybl on the site of the derelict Kazinczy Mansion, this contains an exhibition evoking the life of the writer, organiser of literary life and neologist. The building was made of the carved stone and imitates the Greek church. Opposite the Memorial Hall Ferenc Kazinczy rests in his tomb. There is a collection of Becske Bálint, the author's (Ferenc Kazinczy) grandchild. He gathered the 19th and 20th century objects, pictures, from the family's members and from these found a museum. Ft 300.
- Former Waldbott-villa (Waldbott-kastély), Kossuth Lajos tér 8, Hősök tere 10.. Baroque, 18th century. Rebuilt. Now it is an elderly home.
- Town hall (Városháza), Kossuth Lajos tér 5. Baroque, Renaissance building of the former Zemplén comitatus where Ferenc Kazinczy worked, built between 1754 and 1768
- Hungarian Calvary Memorial (Magyar Kálvária emlékmű a Szár-hegyen) (on the Szár Mount).
- Former Financial Palace. a mark of the town's great economic importance in the 19th and the early 20th century
- Abandoned synagogue and cemetery, Esze Tamás utca 81-83. Sátoraljaújhely was once home to Hungary's second-largest Jewish community. A synagogue was built at Sátoraljaújhely in 1790; and when it was demolished in 1887
- Former Tribunal Palace and Prison (Törvényszéki palota és fogház). now Sátoraljaújhely Prison was built on Czigler Gyõzõ plans
- Musical fountain (next to Hősők Square).
- House of Zemplén's Hungarians (Zempléni Magyarok Háza) (as opposed to the Musical fountain).
- Locomotive junkyard (Mozdonybontó).
- Tomb of Rabbi Moses Teitelbaum (Teitelbaum Mózes csodarabbi sírja, zarándokhely). A place of pilgrimage
- 12 Old archives (Zempléni Levéltár), Kossuth tér 5. (Center), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-W 08:00-16:00, Th F 08:00-12:00. Zemplén county's archives are on the first store of the northern wing of Sátoraljaújhely Town Hall. The furniture is made in baroque style retain the atmosphere of 18th-19th century archives, one of very few in Hungary. The furnishing were made by local masters. The logical order of the collection was developed by Antal Szirmay (historian, 1747-1812). Ferenc Kazinczy (writer, neologist) was chief archivist between 1816-1831. Ft 400.
- Castle of Sátoraljaújhely (Sátoraljaújhelyi vár maradványai). Archeological Site. Remains of the Castle
- 13 Kossuth statue (Kossuth-szobor), Kossuth tér. Gardos Aladar creation (1911
- 1 Zemplén Adventure Park and Sport Center (Zemplén Kalandpark,Magas-hegyi Sportcentrum), Torzsás u. 25. Skiing, bob and 'Snow Donut' sliding, wall climbing, hockey, ice and roller skating. Rental services. More info at Hotel Hunor Bob sled: adult 1/5 slips Ft 700/2 800; children 1/5 slips Ft 550/2 200. Adventure Park Green/Blue/Red/Black Course Ft 1 250/1 400/2 000/2 600. Canopy, climbing wall Ft 1400. Ski trails: slip 1 adult/child Ft 1 700/1 400; 10-slip adult/child Ft 2200/2000; 4-hour adult/child Ft 3 300/2 800; 1 -day adult/child Ft 4 100/3 400; Passes for only on weekdays: adult (3-day, 4-day, 5-day) Ft 10 200, 13 300, 16 900; children (3-day, 4-day, 5 days), Ft 8800, 11 200, 14 100. Ski passes valid Sa Su: weekend adult/child pass Ft 7 700/6300. Moving sidewalk for all day Ft 1270. Ice skating rink adult/child Ft 825/600; family ticket (2 +2 people) Ft 2650. Track rentals: complete course Ft 8000; half-court Ft 4000/hour. Ski rentals:full equipment/ski/ski boots/poles/helmet Ft 3 300/2 120/1320/300/650. Roller/ice skate rentals Ft 650. Skating helmet Ft 550. Hockey hitting/protection Ft 600/550. Snowboard/SB shoes/protective equipment rental Ft 2800/1520/650. 'Snow Donut' slip: Adult 1/5 Ft 450/1650; children 1/5 Ft 350/1250.
- Ungvár's cellars. Wine tasting, buying . Since 2002 part of World Heritage list
- 2 Wine cellars of Zsólyomka (Zólyomkai pincesor), Felsőzsólyomka utca (W 0.5 km). Wine tasting, buying. A unique rows of wine cellars. The cellars are on both sides of a small creek. Previously lived in the area for all, now only one or two elderly people live habitually here.
- 3 Magas-mountain chairlift (Magas-hegyi libegő), Szárhegy (W 1 km). Hungary's longest cable car.
- 4 Municipal Swimming Pool (Városi Uszoda), Balassi Bálint street 6 (E 0.5 km), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Daily 08:00-20:00. Mobile=+36 70 3192368. Medical services, Finnish sauna, solarium, Swedish massage, hairdressing salon, infrared sauna. - pools #1 Periodically open; surface area (m²): 800; Temperature (°C): 28; #2 Periodically open; surface area (m²): 90; Temperature (°C): 28 adult Ft 1100, students, pensioners Ft 700.
- 5 City Sports Hall (Városi Sportcsarnok), Liget tér 5, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-22:00 in Jul-Aug is closed, open for events. Also Cultural and Conference Centre Room rent: Ft 4500/hour, for Events: Ft 5000/hour.
- 6 [dead link] Smaragd Valley Leisure Park (Smaragdvölgy Pihenőpark és horgásztó), Sátoraljaújhely-Rudabányácska, Vadász utca 14 (7 km NW of Sátoraljaújhely), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Area: 14 ha. - Boating, water cycling, fishing possible. +phone=+36 30 8361501
- 7 SE7EN Squash Sports Centre (Sportcentrum), Várhegy U. 7., ☎ , e-mail: INFO@SE7EN.HU. Wear comfortable gym clothes, and light-soled shoes (which does not leave any marks on the parquet floor); bring your towel. before 16:00/after 16:00 (/hour/court): 1 time Ft 1400/1900, 5 sessions pass/person/month Ft 2900/4200, 10 sessions pass/person/month Ft 5500/7900.
- 8 Urban Sports site (Városi sporttelep), Pázsit utca.
- 9 Urban Sports site (Városi sporttelep), Dohány utca ~5.
- International Folkdance Festival in Zemplén, a children and family program (Kossuth tér 5., Centre: 0.2 km away) - mid Aug.
- Street-theater Festival, a children and family event, (Sétálóutca, Rendezvénytér, Centre: 2.1 km away) - early Aug.
- Zsólyomka Open Cellars a wine event program, (Felsőzsólyomka pincesor, Centre: 0.4 km away) - end of Oct
- Zemplén Majorette Festival, a Festival event (Rendezvény tér, Centre: 0.1 Km far) - early Aug.
- Zemplén Festival, (Centre: 0.3 km) - mid Aug.
- Újhely day event, a cultural program (multiple places) - mid Sep.
- Újhelyi Castle Day (Várhegy, Centre: 1.6 km away)- 2nd half of Sep. (2014-09-20)
- 1 Tesco hypermarket, Sátoraljaújhely (Tesco Sátoraljaújhely Hipermarket), Kazinczy utca 105 (North 1 km), ☎ .
- 1 [dead link] Eszter Guesthouse (Eszter vendégház), Sátoraljaújhely-Rudabányácska, Kárpát utca 16. (NW 4 km), ☎ , , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Two 4-bedded rooms. Cash only payment. Services: high chair for child, covered terrace, heating, cot, children's pool, Paddling pool, babysitting, hairdryer, introduction to the farm life, refrigerator, well equipped kitchen, outdoor games, dogs-cats are allowed, separate rooms for parents - children, parking in closed yard, sports equipment rentals, social games, television, fireplace, barbecue place. Ft 2500 p.p..
- 2 Csillagfény Pension and Restaurant (Csillagfény Panzió), Mártírok útja 29. (Center), ☎ . Capacity 10 air-conditioned rooms, 25 beds. private swimming pool and sauna. In the restaurant: domestic specialties, vegetarian and diabetic meals. Dbl/tpl/quad Ft 12 600/14 200/16 000 all tax incl. (2014).
- [dead link] Private Accommodation (Privát Szállás), Dózsa Gy. utca 17., ☎ . six rooms (all with shower and kitchen) 10-12 beds. Payment only cash. Services: bed linen are provided, heatable, refrigerator, well-equipped kitchen, cats are allowed,washing option, Sat-TV, parking in closed yard, kitchenette, television. Two single Ft 3250, two double Ft 2750, two triple Ft 2750 all p.p. per night, all tax included.
- 3 Hunor Hotel and Restaurant, Torzsás út 25 (NW 2 km), ☎ , , e-mail: email@example.com. Services: event organization, restaurant, bar, guarded parking, interior swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna, solarium, massage, bowling, table football, billiards, conference room, ski storage, tennis courts, internet access, Wi-Fi, sun terrace, barbecue terrace, private garden and woodland walk, bicycle rental, tour management, lake scenery, diet dining options, 'pig slaughter'. Rooms (breakfast/half board/full board) 2-bed room Ft 22 350/27 900/33 500, one-bed room Ft 16 750/19 500/22 260, apartment for 2 people Ft 28 100/33 600/39 100, apartment for 1 person Ft 22 300/25 100/33 500, air-conditioned room supplement: Ft 3,200/night (2014).
- 5 Post Office (Magyar Posta), Kazinczy utca 10 (Center), ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 08:00-18:00, Sa 08:00-11:00.
|Routes through Sátoraljaújhely|
|Miskolc ← Sárospatak ←||W E||→ END → Becomes Slovenské Nové Mesto|