Schöningen is a town of about 11,000 inhabitants in the district of Helmstedt in Lower Saxony, Germany. It is located near the border with Saxony-Anhalt, on the southeastern rim of the Elm hill range. In its current form, it was created in 1974 by joining the municipalities of Esbeck, Hoiersdorf, and Schöningen. Schöningen is a stop on the German Framework Road.
In archaeology, Schöningen is famous for four ancient wooden spears found in an opencast mine near the town (Bamford & Henderson 2003). The spears are about 400,000 years old (Klein. 2005. p114), making them the world's oldest human-made wooden artifacts, as well as the oldest weapons, ever found. Three of them were probably manufactured as projectile weapons, because the weight and tapered point is at the front of the spear making it fly straight in flight, similar to the design of a modern javelin. The fourth spear is shorter with points at both ends and is thought to be a thrusting spear or a throwing stick (Bamford & Henderson 2003). They were found in combination with the remains of about 20 wild horses, whose bones contain numerous butchery marks, including one pelvis that still had a spear sticking out of it. This is considered proof that early humans were active hunters with specialized tool kits.
The first historical mentioning of the Saxon settlement in the Royal Frankish Annals dates back to 747, when the Carolingian Pepin the Short stayed here during the conflict with his half-brother Grifo. Schöningen was the site of a Königspfalz of Pepin's son Charlemagne and later of the Ottonian dynasty. Saint Willigis, Archbishop of Mainz from 975, was probably born at Schöningen about 940.
From the 14th century it was held by the Welf dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, who granted Schöningen town privileges in 1332. About 1350 Duke Magnus the Pious had a castle built here to secure the nearby border with the Bishopric of Halberstadt.
- Airport Hannover-Langenhagen (HAJ, 101km)
- Magdeburg-Cochstedt International (CSO, 53km) 
- Leipzig/Halle (LEJ, 168km) 
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA, 380km)
Inter City to Helmstedt. KVG Coach to Schöningen. 
A2 to Helmstedt. Exit 63-Helmstedt-Ost . Right on to B1 (Traffic sign : Braunschweig/Königslutter/Helmstedt/Schöningen). Left on to B244. Distance to Schöningen 9.7 km.
- Autohaus Christoph Seydel , Alversdorfer Weg 5, 05352 9495-0,
- Basse Autovermietung, Weinbergstraße 1, 05352 1801
- Schließer Bike , Wilhelmstr. 10, Tel.: 05352 - 8866 , Fax: 05352 - 9099140 |
- Paläon (Research and experience center Schöningen spears), Paläon 1.
- German Framework Route
- 14th century Scahaningi castle
- St. Lorenz Church (14th century)
- Local History Museum (build 1593)
- St. Vincent church
- City Hall overlooks the town square, the place of Schöningen’s weekly market (Saturdays 8am-12n). Here’s a great opportunity to buy some delicious fruits & veggies, colorful flowers, and wonderful souvenirs for your journey home.
- So much of Schöningen is best explored outside. Right on the edge of the forest is a wonderful golf course. Though, if you’re not so inclined to play the links, there’s always the pool & sauna to relax in. Though, that might be a better idea to do after you’ve gone out and done the hiking & biking thing through the Lower Saxon countryside.
- St. Lawrence - a different golf club. Well above the visible church of St. Lawrence on the edge of the Elms extend the fairways of the Golf and Country Club St. Lawrence, one of which has beautiful views in the Magdeburg region up to the resin. The difference from other golf clubs is' That certain something of St. Lawrence, "a blend of the unique location of the place, nestled in the beautiful countryside, near its namesake, the ancient monastery of good St. Lawrence, whose cobblestone manor and the underlying park-like Gutsgarten. For this purpose, the listed, hundreds of years ago from Elmkalkstein built farm buildings, where there is now also the cozy clubhouse. In this particular setting puts it, what is rarely found today: sports, culture, history and landscape that are close together.
- Elm Lappwald Nature Park bicycle tours.
- Horseback riding - Riding arena (50x20m), large equestrian center site at the quarry near the youth hostel: Reit- und Fahrverein Schöningen, Augustastr. 16, Tel.: 05352/59094.
- Restaurant "... wie in Oma´s Küche" , Wellmannstraße 1 -Tel.:05352-50241; German cooking. Insider's diner # 1, very friendly service, consistently good food.
- Greek Restaurant "Akropolis", Salzstraße 14 - Tel.: 0 53 52/18 79; tastes almost better than in Greece. Tasteful interior, very friendly service, fast turnaround.
- "Schloss-Restaurant", Burgplatz 1, Tel.: 0 53 52/90 75 90  German & Italian kitchen, friendly service, good special occasion restaurant. Groups, Seminars & Weddings.
- "Cherrywine Ranch" at the edge of the Elm Park, Zum Waldfrieden, Tel.: 0 53 52/31 78 , 
- Restaurant "Kanzlerkeller", Burgplatz 3 - Tel.: 0 53 52/82 52; German cooking in a nice place. Service is medium grade, so is the cooking.
- Restaurant "Deutsches Haus", Hötensleber Straße 3 - Tel.: 0 53 52/25 89; German coooking at its best. Very friendly service, nice place, very rich menu to choose from, excellent for larger groups.
- Greek Restaurant "Irodion", Markt 26 - Tel.: 0 53 52/22 01; the place is clean but needs an upgrade. Very friendly service, some of the ingredients overwhelming, all in all a fair share for the inexpensive meal.
- Restaurant "Kurhaus", Bahnhofstraße 13 - Tel.: 0 53 52/31 81. in a nice neighborhood. Very popular for weddings, birthday celebrations but also for society. The guests are mostly from the region. Cozy atmosphere.
- Restaurant "Ratskeller", Markt 1, Tel.: 05352/969789. German upscale cooking in City Hall's basement - a warm, sophisticated atmosphere is a pleasant backdrop for an evening or an elegant dinner. And there are sophisticated menus and dishes, excellent beers and excellent wines on the cards.
- Restaurant "Orient-Imbiß", Niedernstraße 19, Tel.: 0 53 52/87 95 ,  in the center of town, the Orient has an entire variety of food. Gyros, Döner, Pizza, Chicken, Fish and a kids menu. Catering. Clean and friendly service.
- Restaurant "Sportschänke", Alte Kirchstraße 1 a, Tel.: 0 53 52/30 80 German Kitchen: Schnitzel, fish and salad. Friendly service. On the mainroad in suburb of Esbeck.
- Bistro Antalya, Markt 25, Tel.: 0 53 52/9062816 , Tel.: 0 53 52/9686014. German, Italian and oriental food. Moderately priced and in the center of town.
- "Elmhaus" bei Schöningen - Singplatzweg (Elmrand), Tel.: 05352/4860, Open: daily 11.00 - 21.00 Uhr, Do. Ruhetag, jeden So. ab 15.00 Uhr "Tanztee"
- "Waldfrieden" - Zum Waldfrieden 1, 38364 Schöningen-Esbeck, Tel.: 05352/3178, Open: daily ab 12.00 Uhr durchgehend, im Sommer Mo. ab 15.00 Uhr, im Winter Mo. Ruhetag
- Cafe & Bistro Negenborn, Negenborntrift 25 - Tel.: 0 53 52/9 37 37 77;
- Deutsches Haus , Albrecht Haage, Hötensleber Straße 3, Tel.: 05352-2589, Fax: 05352-937681, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Schloss Schöningen , Patrizio Principale, Burgplatz 1a, Tel.: 05352-907590, Fax: 05352-907592, email@example.com
- Hotel Zeitreise, Am Wallgarten 12, Tel.: 05352-9099165, Fax: 05352-9099185, Mobil: 0176-78126269, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pension „Schäferstübchen“, Ulrich Schirner, Schäferbreite 31a, Tel.: 05352-2242, Fax: 05352-907500, email@example.com
- Pension M. Scholz, Hinter dem Kreuze 21, OT Hoiersdorf, Tel.: 05352-2793
- Haus Pientok , Lothar Pientok, Hötensleberstraße 34, Tel.: 039061/98290, firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Ferienwohnung "Am Markt" , Markt 18, Tel. 05352 3625,
- Fam. Bernitt , Nicolaistr. 3, Tel. 0170 7797764,
- Haus Grund, Markt 5, Tel.: 05352/2279
Youth Hostels (YMCA)
- Jugendherberge Schöningen , R.-Schirrmann-Str. 6a, Tel.: 05352-3898, Fax: 05352-3752, email@example.com
Private Zimmervermietung U. Lippelt Negenbornsiedlung 3 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 0152-53151563 firstname.lastname@example.org
Haus Grund Markt 5 38364 Schöningen Tel.: 05352/2279 oder 05352/4510 Mobil: 0171/5384004