The best way to get to Shaftesbury, if you don't have a car, is by train. Take Southwest Trains from London Waterloo to Gillingham, Dorset. There are friendly and cheap taxi drivers who can take you on to Shaftesbury. In 2008 the trip cost £10.
- 1 Gold Hill. Shaftesbury's most notable site to see. It is famous for being featured in Hovis Bread advertisements.
- 2 Gold Hill Museum, Gold Hill, SP7 8JW, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:30AM-4:30PM. Museum dedicated to Gold Hill. Free, donations welcomed.
- 3 Shaftesbury Abbey Museum & Gardens, Park Walk, SP7 8JR, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. 21 Mar-31 Oct: 10AM-5PM. Adult: £3, Concessions: £2.50, Children (accompanied, 16 and under): Free.
- 4 Old Wardour Castle, Nr Tisbury, SP3 6RR (7 miles east of Shaftesbury), ☎ . adults £4.10, children £2.50, concessions £3.70.
- Shaftesbury snowdrops festival. Annually, 1 week in February. Visit the Heritage Collection of Snowdrops in Shaftesbury Abbey, join a Snowdrop walk through the town or participate in the festival events. The grand final is the Snowdrop Lantern Parade on Sunday evening.
- Gold Hill Fair. A one-day town festival the first Sunday in July.
There are many charming B&Bs in and around Shaftesbury.
- 1 La Fleur de Lys, Bleke St, SP7 8AW, ☎ .
- 2 Royal Chase Hotel (Best Western), SP7 8DB (near Royal Chase Roundabout), ☎ .