On A30 between London and Exeter, and the A350 between Poole and Chippenham.
The best way to get to Shaftesbury, if you don't have a car, is by train. Take Southwest Trains from London Waterloo to Gillingham, Dorset. There are friendly and cheap taxi drivers who can take you on to Shaftesbury. In 2008 the trip cost £10.
- 1 Gold Hill. Shaftesbury's most notable site to see. It is famous for being featured in Hovis Bread advertisements.
- 2 Gold Hill Museum, Gold Hill, SP7 8JW, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:30AM-4:30PM. Museum dedicated to Gold Hill displays many artefacts that relate to the history of Shaftesbury and the surrounding area, including Dorset's oldest fire engine, dating from 1744 Free, donations welcomed.
- 3 Shaftesbury Abbey Museum & Gardens, Park Walk, SP7 8JR, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 1st Apr - 31st Oct: 10AM-5PM. tells the story of the abbey and also has a herb garden and medieval orchard Adult: £4, Concessions: £3, Children (accompanied, 16 and under): Free.
- 4 Old Wardour Castle, Nr Tisbury, SP3 6RR (7 miles east of Shaftesbury off A30 3 1⁄2 miles SW of Tisbury.), ☏ . Partially ruined, turreted, 14th-century, fortified residence with panoramic views. adults £5.90, child (5-17 years) £3.50, concessions £5.30.
- Shaftesbury snowdrops festival. Annually, 1 week in February. Visit the Heritage Collection of Snowdrops in Shaftesbury Abbey, join a Snowdrop walk through the town or participate in the festival events. The grand final is the Snowdrop Lantern Parade on Sunday evening.
- Gold Hill Fair. Usually occurs in the first weekend of July and has food stalls, arts stalls and local music that can be found in the abbey ruins.
There are many charming B&Bs in and around Shaftesbury.
- 1 La Fleur de Lys, Bleke St, SP7 8AW, ☏ .
- 2 Royal Chase Hotel (Best Western), SP7 8DB (near Royal Chase Roundabout), ☏ .
|Routes through Shaftesbury|
|Yeovil ← Sherborne ←||W E||→ Salisbury|