Sherborne is a small town in England. A market town and civil parish in northwest Dorset, it's sited on the River Yeo on the edge of the Blackmore Vale. Much of the old town, including its abbey and many medieval and Georgian buildings, is built from distinctive ochre-coloured ham stone.
In 2011, Sherborne had a population of 9,500, which has been steadily rising from the 1841 population of 3,500.
- 1 Sherborne railway station. The station opened in 1860 and is served by South Western Railway trains from London Waterloo, Salisbury and Exeter St Davids. The station is manned and has WiFi, a cafe and toilets.
- South West Coaches X11 is a daytime service from Yeovil and Dorchester, with 6 buses M-F, none at weekends.
- Beaver +44 1935 816 620
- P & J Cabs +44 1935 816 877
- 1 Sherborne Old Castle, Castleton, DT9 3SA, ☏ . ruins, destroyed in 1645 by a fierce siege. adults £3.60, children £2.20, concessions £3.20.
- 2 Sherborne Abbey. has one of the finest examples in Britain of a fan vaulted ceiling.
- 3 Fleet Air Arm Museum. comprehensive collection of naval aircraft
- 4 Sherborne New Castle. built in 1594 by Sir Walter Raleigh
- Pack Monday Fair. Annual street fair starting on the Monday following 10 October.
Sherborne is an excellent place for a spot of retail therapy - the town's boutiques offer delightful and varied shopping, and its antique shops are full of fascinating finds. The ever-popular town markets and Farmers' Markets offer the perfect opportunity to purchase some tasty local produce and unique gifts.
Whether you prefer some heart-warming pub grub, elegant high teas, fine cuisine or simply a family-friendly dining experience, you can be sure that Sherborne will offer you many delicious local specialities to tempt your taste-buds! Contact Sherborne Tourist Information Centre for some expert advice.
- 1 Chetnole Inn, Chetnole DT9 6NU, ☏ . Country pub with simple rooms, it's the food that gets the great reviews.
- 1 Eastbury Hotel, Long St, Sherborne DT9 3BY, ☏ . Given a skillful Edwardian makeover in 2018, this upscale place scores highly for comfort, service, and cuisine at Seasons Restaurant. B&B double £140.
- 2 Grange at Oborne (Oborne 1 mile NW of Sherborne). 18 room country house hotel with restaurant (mains around £20). from £70.
The emergency numbers for the United Kingdom: serious emergencies (police, fire or ambulance) - 999; non-emergency police - 101; non-emergency health issues - 111. SMS messages can be sent to 999 after registration by sending a text message with the word 'Register' to 999. 911 redirects to 999 on mobile phones. Power outages - 105.
Sherbone is patrolled by the Dorset Police. The headquarters is at Winfrith and there are also 21 stations, including one in Sherbone which is open two days per week.
|Routes through Sherborne|
|Yeovil ←||W E||→ Shaftesbury → Salisbury|