The district was originally the home of the indigenous Pingpu people.
Shenkeng is known in Taiwan for its tofu products and restaurants and indeed tourists coming to the area to sample the tofu make up the major part of the local economy.
Shenkeng is not connected to any of the rail networks in Taiwan and the only way to access the district is by road.
- 1 Shenkeng Old Street (深坑老街), Shenkeng Street. A narrow street of old brick buildings giving an impression of how the town looked in a bygone era. The street also contains a number of shops and stalls where you can sample the districts' famous tofu.
- 2 Yong'an House (永安居), No. 8, Section 3, Beishen Road, ☏ .
- 1 Shenkeng Night Market (深坑廟前夜市). 18:00-23:00 (Tue & Fri). A typical Taiwanese night market containing food stall, small wares, and games.
Shenkeng has received a significant amount of press for its tofu, particularly in Japan and Hong Kong, making the region popular with tourists from within Taiwan, as well as the wider region.
- 1 Da Tuan Yuan (大團園休閒農園), ☏ . 11:00-21:00. A Chinese-style banquet-style restaurant set in a traditional-style garden. They also have an iguana for some reason.
- 1 Fullon Hotel Taipei, East (福容大飯店 台北二館), No. 236, Section 3, Beishen Road, ☏ . a 4-star hotel near the border between Taipei and New Taipei.