- Banqiao (板橋區) is the city seat of New Taipei.
- Bali (八里區) is the newest tourist place in New Taipei.
- Fulong (福隆) is a coastal district with good beach and surfing.
- Jiufen (九份) was a prosperous gold mining area. It now attracts travelers who want a trip back in time.
- Tamsui (淡水區) is a historical district on the north coast that was once the center of shipping and commerce in northern Taiwan. The district is still a popular day-trip destination from Taipei and boasts many historical attractions.
- Wulai (烏來) is a small village famous for its hot springs and aboriginal culture.
- Xindian (新店區) is a district south of Taipei where the apartment complexes of the metropolis meet the northern end of the Central Mountain Range.
- Xinzhuang (新莊區) is a suburban district located in the south of New Taipei.
- Yingge (鶯歌區) is a district known for its high concentration of pottery and ceramic makers.
- Yonghe (永和區) is known for its breakfast foods.
- Zhonghe (中和區) is another suburban district of New Taipei.
New Taipei is basically an extension of Taipei and is the home of more than 3,500,000 people. The city has quite a diverse environment, from the densely populated industrial districts of Sanchong and Shulin to the coastal regions around the district of Tamsui and the sparsely populated mountain districts near Shenkeng.
Before 25 Dec 2010, New Taipei was known as Taipei County.
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (台灣桃園國際機場) (TPE IATA) is the main international airport on the island, and the closest major airport to New Taipei. However, be aware that this name was only adopted in September 2006, the old name, Chiang Kai Shek International Airport (often abbreviated as CKS), is still commonly used. Airbus operates an express airport bus route that directly connects Taoyuan International Airport, Tucheng and Banqiao. The bus runs every 30 minutes during the day and costs NT$135. Travelers going to other regions of New Taipei however may have to visit Taipei city first, and head to the destination from there.
There are several TRA stations scattered through New Taipei .
- Banqiao (Banciao) Railway Station (板橋車站) is the major transportation hub in New Taipei. This station connects the railways, Taipei MRT and Taiwan High Speed Rail. It also has local and inter-city bus stations. (Wunhua Road Sec. 1, Banqiao City)
Inter-city buses arrive and depart from the Banqiao Railway Station's terminal. The inter-city bus terminal is just east of the Banqiao Railway Station, and the local bus terminal is in the west. Bus services are easily available, both to travel in the city and from or to nearby regions.
By subway (MRT)
Taipei Metro, commonly called MRT, is the most convenient transportation method between Taipei and New Taipei.
- Tamsui Line (淡水線) stations: Zhuwei, Hongshulin and Tamsui.
- Banan Line (板南線) stations: Jiangzicui, Xinpu, Banqiao, Fuzhong, Far Eastern Hospital, Haishan, Tucheng and Yongning.
- Zhonghe Line (中和線) stations: Dingxi (Yonghe), Yongan Market, Jingan and Nanshijiao.
- Xindian Line (新店線) stations: Dapinglin, Qizhang, Xindian City Hall and Xindian (Bitan).
Every district of New Taipei is accessible by bus. Most of them are a part of Taipei's bus network. If you know how to take a bus in Taipei, you will have no problem taking a bus in New Taipei.
By subway (MRT)
Taipei MRT is an efficient tool to travel between the city's north, west and south sections.
Taxis are the most convenient way to get around, and the price is not very high. Note that most taxi drivers speak little or no English.
- Banqiao's Lin Family Mansion and Garden is one of the best examples of Qing era Chinese architecture in Taiwan. It is free of charge and well worth a visit.
- Danshui Fisherman's Wharf is New Taipei's most famous scenic sight.
- Enjoy your coffee or tea beside the Bitan Lake, Xindian.
- Jiufen is famous for gold mining. There is an excellent gold museum.
- In Fulong, you will find a coastal district with an excellent beach. Every July, don't forget to attend the three day Ho-hai-yan Rock Festival.
- Enjoy the aboriginal Dancing show and hot spring in Wulai.
New Taipei has a great variety of outdoor activities available. Hiking, cycling, Hot Spring, rock climbing, and much more.
- A-Gei - a most famous snack in Tamsui.
- Taro balls - Jiufen's famous product.
- box lunches - this tasty Biandang (box lunches in Mandarin) is selling on the left of the Fulong train station.
- Soy Milk (豆漿) - is a traditional Taiwanese breakfast dish. Yonghe Soy Milk, this household name comes from the original shop which is located at Yonghe.
- Tea - Pinglin's Baozhong tea (包種茶) is the most famous tea in Taiwan.
- Foreign residents of New Taipei should extend their visas at the Foreign Affairs Section of the New Taipei Police Bureau in Banqiao (see Banqiao article/cope).