Wanli (萬里區, known in the indigineous Basay language as "Masu") is a district of New Taipei. The area is a popular destination for local tourists who come to appreciate its distinctive rock formations and hotsprings.
The indigineous village of Masu (瑪鋉) has been inhabited since before the arrival of Europeans to Taiwan. The first to arrive in the area were the Spanish, until they were driven out by the Dutch. After the defeat of the Dutch in Taiwan, Hoklo people from China began to settle in the area and established fishing communities.
In 1891, during Qing dynasty rule, the village was destroyed by military force as punishment for engaging in raids against Chinese camphor men and soldiers near Tokoham (modern-day Daxi).
Wanli is not connected to either the inter-city or the Taipei metro train lines, and as such the only way to access the area is by car or by bus.
Parks and nature
- 1 Yehliu (野柳), ☏ . 08:00-17:00. A 1,700m long rocky outcropping that contains a number of interesting rock formations.
- 2 Wanli Beach (萬里海水浴場), ☏ .
- 3 Queen's head (女王頭), ☏ . A natural rock formation which resembles a woman's face.
- 4 Lin Tian-jen statue (林添禎像), ☏ . A statue of Lin Tian-jen who drowned nearby attempting to save some students who had fallen into the sea.
- 5 Futuro House (幽浮船廢墟). Also called the "UFO house", a series of odd shaped experimental houses which were built in the 1960s but have since been abandoned. The houses were designed by Finnish architect Matti Suuronen and are one of the few remaining examples left in the world.
- 6 Tian Xiang Chan Monastery (天祥寶塔禪寺), ☏ . A serene Buddhist monastery complex.
- 7 Yehliu Baoan Temple (野柳保安宮開漳聖王), ☏ .
- 8 Tianhu Temple (天護宮), No. 135, Jiatou Road, ☏ .
- 1 Yehliu Ocean World (野柳海洋世界), ☏ . 09:00-17:00. An oceanic theme-park.
- 2 Lukuping Historic Trail (鹿堀坪古道), No. 1, Chengde Road.
- 3 Mustang Paragliding Club (野馬飛行傘), Riguang Road. 09:00-17:00. A paragliding club that takes off from Feicuiwan Beach.
The district contains a number of fishing harbours where fishermen will unload and sell their catch. These are usually good places to pick up fresh seafood, and there are usually restaurants nearby which will cook your purchases for you.
- 1 Wanli Fishing Harbor (萬里漁港), ☏ .
- 2 Guihou Fishing Harbor (龜吼漁港), No. 85, Yuao Road, ☏ .
- 3 Tung-ao Fishing Harbor (東澳漁港).
- 4 Yehliu Fishing Harbor (野柳漁港).
- 1 White House Resort (白宮行舘沙灘溫泉渡假村), No. 264, Masu Road, ☏ . Comprises a number of beach-front bungalows.