Shunde [formerly dead link] (顺德 Seuhndāk in Cantonese, Shùndé in Mandarin) is a city, officially a district of Foshan, in Guangdong Province in China. Shunde is well-known in Guangdong province as a place with great Cantonese food, as many of the top Cantonese chefs around the world were trained in Shunde.
Shunde's population and economy are starting to grow and its rapid economic growth is mainly due to furniture production while increase in population is due to an influx of workers. With this influx of people seeking work, there has been an increase in popular services like body massage, foot massage and spas.
It is located in South China where the climate is damp and hot.
It is possible to take a cruise in from Hong Kong.
- 1 Shunde Bus Terminal (顺德汽车客运总站), 57 Nanguo Middle Road, Daliang New District (大良新区南国中路57号) (Over three dozen public bus routes link the bus terminal with the rest of the city, as well with some neighbouring cities), ☏ . The main bus terminal in Shunde. The station has coaches coming in from Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong, Dongguan and also from Guangxi, Jiangxi, Hunan, Henan, Hubei, Jiangsu, Sichuan, Shanghai and other provinces. If coming from nearby Foshan, you can take a bus here from the Foshan City Bus Terminal (佛山市城巴总站).
- 2 Shunde Railway Station (顺德站, Shunde Station), Beibang Middle Road, Lunjiao Town 伦教镇北傍中路 (About 10km north of the city centre. The bus stop outside the station is served by bus routes 370, 908, 916, k900 and 佛314. Bus no. k900 will get you here from the city centre. Bus no. 佛314 links the railway station with the bus station). Shunde Railway Station is a station on the Guangzhou-Zhuhai Intercity Railway. meaning it can easily be reached from other cities on the line, including Guangzhou, Jiangmen, Zhongshan and Zhuhai.
- 1 Baolin Temple (宝林寺), Baolin Road (宝林路) (Take bus no. 300, 304a, 304b, 305, 319, 918, 920, 923 or s8 and get off at the bus stop named after the temple), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 08:00-17:00. The main Buddhist temple in Shunde. Originally founded in the 10th century but largely destroyed in the 1950s, the temple was rebuilt at this location in 1996. ¥15.
- 2 Fengjian Water Village (逢简水乡 Féngjiǎn Shuǐxiāng), Xingtan Town 杏坛镇 (bus 383 from Xintan Coach Station to Fengjian Village Committee). A canal village dating back about 2000 years, with ancient bridges and old-fashioned alleyways. More crowded on weekends, not as many tourists on weekdays. Holds boat races for the Dragon Boat Festival.
- 3 Qinghui Garden (清晖园), 23 Qinghui Road (清晖路23号) (Bus routes 301, 303, 305, 309, 319, 363, 380, 905, 佛314, Tourist Bus 4 and the Chancheng-Shunde Bus Line), ☏ . 09:00-17:00. A traditional Chinese garden dating from the Qing Dynasty. ¥15.
- 4 Shunde Museum (顺德博物馆), Bishui Road North Side, Daliang New District (大良新城区碧水路北侧) (In the centre of town, a short distance south of the main government building. Take bus no. 319 and get off at the Shunde Library (顺德图书馆). Alternatively, if coming straight from the bus station, take bus no. 318 and get off at Jiaxin City Gardens (嘉信城市花园)), ☏ , email@example.com. 09:00-17:00, no entry after 16:30, closed on Mondays. Free.
Enjoying a great and relaxing body massage is a must during your visit to Shunde.
Shunde is also famous for their foot massages and washing of feet (沐足), being a lifestyle for many of the locals. Many shops are found in the district of Daliang, along Gui Pan (桂畔路). It is approximately 40-60 yuan for a session for an hour.
Another common lifestyle for the locals is washing of hair at salons, 洗头. Generally every hair salon offers this service, accompanied with a head and neck massage. Costs range from 10-20yuan.
- 1 Snoopy Fun Fun Garden (史努比缤纷世界), 1 Longpan West Road, Daliang New District (大良新区龙盘西路1号) (The nearest bus stop is the Jiaxin City Plaza (嘉信城市广场) bus stop, which is served by bus routes 318, 905 and 928. You can catch bus no. 318 from the Shunde Bus Terminal), ☏ . 09:30-18:00. A theme park based on the Peanuts comic strip. ¥120 (standard adult ticket), ¥80 (children under 1.4 metres in height and adults over 65 years of age). Children under 90 cm in height may enter for free.
While not generally considered to be in the same league as its neighbours with regards to shopping, with the increase of middle-class individuals, Shunde is seeing an increase in the number of shopping centres.
There is a saying in Shunde '食在广东, 厨出凤城' which means when you eat in Guangdong, you are actually eating in Shunde, in reference to the many great chefs in Guangdong Province who originated from this small town. Downtown Shunde is the place to look for great food.
One must-try is the Double-Skin Milk (Shuāngpínǎi 双皮奶). It is a famous Cantonese dessert that originated in this town. It tastes a bit like custard and can be eaten hot or cold, or mixed with other desserts. But there are many local desserts besides double-skin milk. A famous dessert shop is rén xìn (仁信老铺), which offers a large variety of desserts.
Drinking traditionally begins at dinner and spills over to local bars afterward. KTV (karaoke) is a popular pastime, and is as much about the beer as the singing. If beer is not your taste, try the Chinese rice wine...clear and strong!
- Friends Club (Youhuai) (In Daliang). A fabulous place to watch the stage show, dance, and play dice, the most popular drinking game in Shunde. A hint: buy beer by the dozen, it is much cheaper!
- A lane with many pubs/ KTVs (Gui pan lu 桂畔路) (In Daliang). A road with lined up with KTVs and clubs, alongside a canal. Be it wine, cocktails or beer, they have all to offer.
There are many small and mid-range hotels to choose from in Shunde.
- 7 days Inn (7天连锁酒店) No 58, JianHai Bei Lu, Daliang Town, Shunde District - Tel: +86-757-22113288 - Fax +86-757-22113277
- New World Shunde Hotel (顺德新世界酒店), 150 Qinghui Road, Daliang District, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sheraton Shunde Hotel, 11 Desheng Zhong Road, ☏ . Daliang District,
Whilst not free from crime, Shunde is generally safer than the bigger cities of Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Dongguan. Nevertheless, it helps to watch out for pickpockets who have been known to work in public buses and other crowded areas. In addition, avoid going out alone at night and wearing flashy clothes and accessories.