Siilinjärvi is a municipality of 21,000 people (2021) in the North Savonia region of Eastern Finland. It is the second largest municipality in North Savonia in term of population after Kuopio, the neighbour and regional centre.
Siilinjärvi lies on E63, which from Turku via Jyväskylä and Kuopio until Vuorela (in the south of Siilinjärvi) shares tarmac with national road 9. From the north E63 comes down sharing tarmac with national road 5: from Sodankylä via Kuusamo, Kajaani, Iisalmi and Siilinjärvi to Kuopio. In the south, road 5 forks off E75 from Helsinki, and comes in via Mikkeli and Varkaus. Road 9 continues to the east, to Joensuu and the Niirala border crossing to Russia. National road 75 comes from the north-east, from Kuhmo via Nurmes
The Blue Highway from Mo i Rana in Norway, Umeå and Vaasa comes in from Kuopio along Highways 5 and 9, follows the latter's turn towards Joensuu and Niirala, and continues to Sortavala, Petrozavodsk and Pudozh. A somewhat straighter route from Vaasa is along roads 18, 16 and 77.
There are a few daily trains to Siilinjärvi, including one daily connection with Helsinki.
- 1 Siilinjärvi railway station (Siilinjärven rautatieasema), Asemakatu 8 (Just east of the town centre).
- 2 Kuopio Airport (KUO IATA) (in Rissala, 11 km south of the Siilinjärvi centre). Siilinjärvi is a one-hour flight away from Helsinki. A few flights daily.
Siilinjärvi is close to the main fairway from Saimaa Canal via either Varkaus or Heinävesi to Kuopio and on to Iisalmi. Kallavesi by Kuopio is to the west, Juurusvesi and its archipelagos to the east.
There are marinas at least by the centre (1.4 m; Kanavatie), in Vuorela (2.4 m; on Kallavesi, upstream from Kallan sillat) and by the airport (1.5 m; through the Siltasalmi bridge from Juurusvesi).
- 3 (Kanavatien venesatama), Kanavatie (from Kallavesi via the Jännevirta bridge, Juurusvesi and Jysänkoski). The most central marina, 1.4-m fairway.
See Kuopio#By bus
- Taksi1 Siilinjärvi, ☏ . Also bookable by app. Fixed price based on calculated route and time if destination address given when booking by app. Flag fall M–Sa 06:00–18:00: €5, other times and holidays: €9; 1–4 persons €1.32-1.42/km+€0.99/min, 5–8 persons €1.69-1.99/km+€0.99/min.
- Smartphone apps: Valopilkku, 02 Taksi, Taksini
- 1 Siilinjärvi Church (Siilinjärven kirkko), Haarahongantie 2. The Lutheran church was designed by Peko Väänänen from Siilinjärvi, and the church was opened on Christmas Eve in 1923. The church seats 550 people. The church has an organ loft and a side loft as well as two entrances.
- 2 Church of the Great Martyr Georgios Victorious (Suurmarttyyri Georgios Voittajan kirkko), Harjamäentie 2. The Orthodox church, named after St. George.
- 3 Harjamäki Hospital Museum (Harjamäen sairaalamuseo), Isoharjantie 4, ☏ . Th 12:00–18:00. The museum describes the history of Harjamäki Mental Hospital, which operated in Siilinjärvi from 1926 to 1997. The perspective of both patients and nursing staff is presented. At the same time, the history and development of psychiatry and psychiatric treatment in Finland are examined. Adult €5, concession €3.
- 4 Pöljä Local Museum (Pöljän kotiseutumuseo), Museontie 56 (along the E63 Highway near the Pöljä village), ☏ . The museum presents the history of Siilinjärvi and the agricultural history of northern Savonia from the 19th century to the 1930s. The seven buildings of the museum yard, located in the beautiful shore landscape of Lake Pöljänjärvi, form the yard of a small farmer in northern Savonia from the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century. Visitors have access to a 19th-century smoking room, an 18th-century bridal barn, a milk barn, a barn, a living barn, a barn and a smoke sauna. Adult €3, concession €2.
- 5 Rauhanpuisto Cemetery (Rauhanpuiston hautausmaa), Harjamäentie 4.
- 6 Vuorela Church (Vuorelan kirkko), Rissalantie 2. The church was designed by architect Kaj Michael and was completed in 1977. It is the parish's southern church and parish centre in the Vuorela village, 10 km from the centre of Siilinjärvi to Kuopio.
- 7 Siilinjoki River (Siilinjoki). The river connecting Lake Pieni-Sulkava and Lake Siilinjärvi.
- 1 Siilinlahti Beach (Siilinlahden rantauimala), Jokisuuntie 16 (on the northwestern shore of Lake Siilinjärvi). The beach also includes changing rooms and toilets, a large pier area, a jumping tower and children's playgrounds. In the same connection, open-air swimming works in winter. There are several other beaches all around.
- 2 Kasurila Ski Resort (Kasurilan hiihtokeskus), Viitonen 1920 (along MT 559 (Viitonen), about 20 km north of Kuopio), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 12:00–20:00, Sa Su 10:00–18:00. On weekdays, 4 slopes, 2 T-bars, a platter lift and a carpet lift. The Etusiili opens at 17:00 in the evening hill with a T-bar lift. The number of slopes and lifts in use varies depending on weather and snow conditions and seasons.
- 3 TarinaGolf, Tarinagolfintie 19 (about 3 km south of the centre of Siilinjärvi), ☏ . The local golf centre offers two 18-lane courses in a varied setting along the water and forest islands. The differences in the height of Vanha Tarina and the natural ponds present a challenge to even more experienced players. As an additional service, Tarinagolf has an A-licensed restaurant, a beach sauna, educational services and a golf shop.
- 4 Ahmo DiscGolfPark, Myllykuja.
- 5 Hamula Motocross Track (Hamulan rata), Koivusaarentie 97. A motocross racing track in the Hamula village. In winter, toboggan activities and competitions are held on the track.
- 6 Raasio Sport Shooting Center (Raasio ampumaurheilukeskus), Raasiontie 261 (from Siilinjärvi towards Nilsiä (Highway 75) 9.6 km, then turn left onto "Marjomäentie" and drive 400 m, and finally turn left onto "Raasiontie"). The largest and most versatile shotgun shooting centre in Eastern Finland. The visitors can shoot trap, skeet, bullet, deer, small deer, small rifle and pistol shooting. €5 members, €6 visitors.
- 7 Patakukkula, Maaningantie. A nature and fitness trail.
- 8 Semppis, Julkulantie 2. A youth centre.
- 9 Recreational spa Fontanella (Virkistyskylpylä Fontanella), Kuiluntie 2, ☏ . Wave pool, long and meandering slides, hydromassage showers and two pools for children: a long pool with showers and a fly-shaped fountain. The Fontanella also has a solarium, an infrared cabin, a café-restaurant, two squash courts and two gyms.
- 1 K-Supermarket Herkkupata, Sorakuja 4. M-Sa 06:30–21:00, Su 08:00–21:00.
- 2 S-Market Siilinjärvi, Kuiluntie 4. M-Sa 07:00–22:00, Su 09:00–22:00.
- 3 Lidl Siilinjärvi, Kuiluntie 6. M-F 08:00–21:00, Sa 08:00–20:00, Su 11:00–19:00.
- 4 Tokmanni Siilinjärvi, Kuiluntie 3. M-F 08:00–20:00, Sa 09:00–18:00, Su 10:00–18:00.
- 5 HalpaHalli Siilinjärvi, Siilinkoskentie 1. M-Sa 08:00–21:00, Su 10:00–21:00.
- 6 IiniMiini Kammari, Toritie 8, email@example.com. M-F 10:00–17:00, Sa 10:00–14:00. A flea market.
- 1 Siilimaxi, Toritie 7, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Every day 10:00-22:00. A variety of meat dishes (chicken, pork, beef, fish), vegetables, rice, sliced potatoes, kebabs and pizzas are available. The lunch also includes a varied salad bar, food drinks, coffee and tea, and dessert.
- 2 Siilin Sapuska, Kasurilantie 13, ☏ . M-F 08:00–12:30, M-F 10:00–12:30 (lunch).
- 3 Café Restaurant Lataamo (Kahvila-Ravintola Lataamo), Isoharjantie 6, ☏ , email@example.com. M-F 08:00–14:30, M-F 10:30–13:30 (lunch). Lunch restaurant/café serving a variety of services. Whenever possible, domestic ingredients are used in the preparation of food. Paulig's high-quality traditional and new coffee flavours add a sophisticated addition to the dessert.
- 4 Grilli Pikkirilli, Sulkavantie 2 (along the Highway 75 (Nilsiäntie)). M-F 11:00–21:00, Sa Su 12:00–21:00. A grill in connection with the petrol station and car service station.
- 5 Siilinhovi, Itkolantie 1 (along the E63 Highway (Viitonen)). A restaurant in the Rissala village.
Bars and nightclubs
- 2 Kurvi Pub, Leppäkaarteentie 27, ☏ , . Every day 19:00-02:00. A karaoke bar that offers a living room and a cozy atmosphere to enjoy the evenings. There is also a cozy terrace all year round. Karaoke lists offer a wide range of options from classics to the latest hits. The selection is also updated frequently and the lists can be accessed conveniently on the website via the karaoke section.
- 1 Hotel Sandels (Hotelli Sandels), Toritie 1 (100 metres from the bus station and 200 metres from the railway station), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. The international kitchen of Restaurant Sandels serves à la carte meals. Single €75, double/twin €95, room for three people €120, and room for 4 people €138/night.
|Routes through Siilinjärvi|
|Sodankylä ← Iisalmi ←||N S||→ Kuopio → Turku|
|Vaasa ← Kuopio ←||NW SE||→ Tuusniemi → Outokumpu → Joensuu|