Siquijor is a small island province in the Visayas lying some 22 km east of Southern Negros. While the coastline is mostly white sand beaches fronting the ocean full of tropical marine life, the interior is mountainous.
The Spanish named it Isla del Fuego due to the intensity of its fire flies. Legend has it that Siquijor rose from the sea during a tremendous thunder storm and one can still see fossils and shells on Mount Bandila-an, Siquijor's highest point.
1 Tourist information center, Larena town (next to Larena port entrance). Readily provide tourist information, sell souvenirs. The tourist police office can also be found in the same building.
Siquijor has only a small airport with few scheduled flights; it is about 5 km west of Siquijor town. Construction to expand it into a full airport capable of handling international flights is underway as of March 2020.
The nearest reasonably large airport is in Dumaguete; it has no international flights but is well-connected to domestic destinations including all the main airports for international arrivals. The main air hub of the region, and until recently the only one with international flights, is Mactan-Cebu International Airport in Metro Cebu. Panglao airport in Bohol Province also handles international flights. From any of those, one generally reaches Siquijor by ferry.
- There are many ferries daily from Dumaguete to 1 Siquijor town port. Ferries cost ₱120-200 and are operated by "Delta shipping lines" and "GL shipping lines". There is also a slow car ferry that costs ₱100 and takes 2 hours, operated by "Montenegro shipping lines".
- Fast ferry from Cebu City run by 'Oceanjet' takes 5 hours to reach Siquijor town, it makes interim stops in Dumaguete and Tagbilaran. Price from Cebu - ₱1300, from Tagbilaran - ₱900 (2016).
- Slow ferries from Plaridal and Tagbilaran dock at 2 Larena port, both operated by "Lite Shipping lines". Ferry from Tagbilaran costs ₱260, takes 3 hours, leaves Tagbilaran on M W Sa at 8PM. in the opposite direction leaving Larena on Tu Th Su at 7PM (2016).
- There is a direct ferry from Larena port to Liloan port in Santander at the southern tip of Cebu Island. the ferry departs liloan Port going to Larena Port at 10AM every day. Ticket costing ₱200. From Liloan port there are many buses going to Cebu City and some along the island's west coast to Moalboal.
There is a paved road running around the coast of the island.
- Hire a motorbike for ₱250-350 per day (2016). Available at the port in Siquijor town, San Juan town and almost all resorts. However, resorts generally charge higher prices and very often require customers to return bikes before 6PM in order to force guests to have dinner at resort's own restaurant.
- Hire a tricycle. For instance, price from Siquijor town to San Juan town is ₱150-250, while a day tour of the island is ₱1000 (2016). If you arrive by boat in Siquijor Town, then on your left as you walk off the pier toward where the tricycles congregate there is a large sign showing prices for various journeys. Drivers may ask for more, but the sign gives you a fine tool for bargaining and a lower limit below which you know the drivers will not go.
- Jump on a jeepney; prices are very low, Siquijor town to San Juan - ₱20 (2016). Although they run fairly rarely, mainly departing when full.
San Juan is the main tourist area, though there are lots of other options. Within San Juan you can walk to some places, but the town is spread out along several km of seaside so for many trips you will need a trike or jeepney.
- 1 St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church, Santa Fe Street, ☏ . With Siquijor Belltower right next to it.
- 2 Siquijor Beach. Several white sand beach resorts dot the coastal areas.
- 3 Capilay Spring Park. A natural spring fed swimming pool in the centre of San Juan. A favourite with the locals at weekends.
- 4 San Juan Beach. Lots of beach resorts and great for snorkelling and scuba diving.
- 5 Lugnason Falls. Nice waterfall close to San Juan.
- 6 San Isidro Labrador Convent. Reputed to be the biggest and one of the oldest convents in the Philippines, the Spaniards started construction in 1887 and was completed in 1894. Declared as a historical landmark by the Philippine Historical Commission.
- 7 Cambugahay Falls. Impressive 3-tiered waterfalls just outside Lazi. Great for swimming.
- 8 Century Old Balete Tree. Supposedly enchanted old tree covered in hundreds of roots and vines.
- 9 Kagusuan Beach. Noted for its picturesque seascape and rock formation, it is situated below a cliff and accessible by concrete staircase.
- 10 Ilihan cave.
- 11 Our Lady of the Divine Providence church, Siquijor Circumferential Road.
- 12 Salagdoong Beach, 6 km northeast of Maria. Favourite with the locals and great for swimming and snorkelling. There are also water slides and places to dive into the sea. On the way to the beach you'll be passing Salagdoong Forest Reserve, which a manmade forest with Molave trees.
- 13 Mt. Bandilaan National Park. It hosts the highest peak in the island. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the top of the mountain from the road. Path is not well maintained. On the way there are couple of Stations of the Cross
- 14 Buterfly Sanctuary, Just outside Cang-apa village. Sign-posted from the main road.
- 15 Cantabon Cave. Takes 1.5 hr to walk through and you need to register in the town before venturing inside. Local guide required (they hang around the cave) as the cave is locked up.
- Visit Bolo Bolo healing ritual, Shamans and witches
- Siquijor Dive Safari, Tubod, San Juan, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Aberration Dive Club, North Poblacion Larena, ☏ . Offers filled scuba tanks (₱650 each) for certified divers and easy diving without dive center connections.
- Sea Pearl Divers, Lala-o, San Juan, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. 8AM-6PM daily.
Malls & supermarkets
- Prince Hypermart, Larena town. 8AM-8PM.
Banks & ATMs
- PNB bank ATM in Larena (but only Visa cards are accepted).
- Metro Bank ATM in Siquijor town, on the main road. (It accepts MasterCard and Visa.)
- Rastaman Grill and Seafood. In the center of San Juan. Chicken, pork, seafood and vegetarian dishes. European and Philippino style, price low to midrange but great taste. Friendly staff and some nights have live music.
- Joyjoy's Restaurant (at the beginning of the Pier).
- Sakura Restaurant. In the center of town. They have a variety of dishes. ₱40 and up. Great chicken curry and soups.
- Sammy's Pizza (in the center).
- Villa Marmarine. 3 km north of Siquijor going towards Larena. Good food, maybe the best on the island.
- Crosspoint. In center of town in Larena.
- Al Capone's Pizzeria, Marjunnix Building (Corner Logarta and Legaspi Streets), ☏ . 10AM-midnight. Great pizza using 100% imported meats and cheeses. Awesome sandwiches on French baguettes.
- Kawayan Holiday Resort, Cangmunag, ☏ . noon-10PM. 2 restaurants; main restaurant touts international cuisine next to the "Infinity" swimming pool and lounge area around the pool.
- Hollyette's Restaurant and Bar, North Poblacion Larena, ☏ . 9AM-?. International restaurant, very clean and always well stocked. Imported and local drinks. Sports bar with 32-inch cable TV. Alternate room reservations at local rate. Domestic flight bookings. Aberration Dive Club. Free Wi-Fi Internet DSL-Connection
- Swiss Sternew, Siquijor Town. 9AM-9PM. Two pizzas for ₱100.
- Jollibee Restaurant, Siquijor circumferential Road Siquijor town. 8am-10pm. Air-conditioned restaurant. Breakfast till 10:30AM. from ₱10.
Most people stay in some resort next to the beach around the island like San Juan. One quiet and remote option is the northwest tip of the island.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:|
- 1 Kiwi Dive Resort, Sandugan Beach, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Check-in: Noon, check-out: noon. Located in the quiet northern tip of the island. Cottages with kitchen and rooms available. Daily scuba diving (including PADI courses) and massage available. Friendly staff. Nice restaurant at the beach with meals costing ₱100-200. Wi-Fi. Cliff cottages ₱450-690, beach-front house ₱1300.
- 2 Islanders Paradise, Sandugan Beach. Seven simple bungalows with patios, some of the rooms come with small kitchenette, all equipped with fridges, private bathrooms, fans or a/c. Hotel has a restaurant, bike rental. And its main pro is a beach location overlooking a strait between Siquijor and Negros islands, however, on the other hand it's very isolated and perhaps can appeal mostly to the those looking for more secluded options. From ₱850.
- 3 C Zars Place, Just outside San Juan. The other side of the road from the beach, ☏ . Double rooms with bathroom for ₱500 per night.
- 4 JJ Backpackers Village, San Juan beach, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Restaurant with good food. Cottage rooms with queen-sized beds and outside bathrooms. All rooms have fans. Dorm bed ₱350, camping ₱250, double room from ₱500.
- 5 Das Traum Guest House, Pangi Siquijor Town (Just behide the Siquijor town Hospital, 10-minute walk to town), ☏ . Double fan rooms, some with and some without en suite bathrooms. Cable TV. Nice Garden. Good budget place to stay. ₱250/₱300/₱350.
- 6 Buhisan lodge, Poblacion, ☏ . Ordinary room with fan. ₱300.
- 7 North Haven lodge, north Poblacion, Larena, ☏ . Fan double room with outside bathrooms. ₱300.
- 8 Angels little backpackers, Siquijor Circumferential Road, Larena (on the road to Sandugan), ☏ . Fan dorm 4 beds per room. Fan single/double room. Only 3 rooms. ₱250/₱550.
- 9 Casa Miranda, km 64.4 Solangon (on road to San Juan just south of JJs), ☏ . Dorm bed ₱250, room ₱300-500.
- 10 Tori's Backpackers Paradise, km 60.8. Tubod San Juan, ☏ . Dorm bed ₱300, room ₱500.
- 11 Chell's Guesthouse, Siquijor Circumferential Road, San Juan, ☏ . Dorm bed ₱350, room ₱750.
- 12 Lagkaw sa Sawang Homestay, Tubod , San Juan, ☏ . Check-in: 2PM, check-out: Noon. ₱600-900.
Power outages happen every couple of days and last for 1-3 hours (2016).
Most of hotels and restaurants have WiFi with generally very slow internet. Cliff Side resort near Larena has high-speed 10mbps internet (March 2017).
Mobile coverage is limited to larger towns and villages where a full 3G signal can be acquired. And it's patchy or nonexistant in remote/sparsely populated areas (2016).
Many hotels prohibit guests from bringing in outside food, this way trying to increase their own restaurants' income.
- Generika Drug Store. National Highway Corner Caridad Street Siquijor town. lower prices.
There are ferries to several nearby places: