Sosnowiec - city located in the south of Poland in the Silesian Voivodeship. A county capital neighbouring Katowice, and a mining and industrial region, it is one of the largest cities in the Silesian Voivodeship and Upper Silesian Industry Area, known also as city of four cultures, where there are many reminders of the times when the city was developed by Evangelicals, Jews, Orthodox and Catholics.
Sosnowiec is connected with airport by KZK GOP bus line: Lotnisko[dead link]
The Kraków-Balice Airport (KRK) is 70 km away form the city.
1 Sosnowiec Main (Główny) Railway Station is located in the city centre. Trains from all parts of Poland and other countries arrive at the Main Station. There are about 12 trains per day between Warsaw and Sosnowiec, and many more between nearby cities like Katowice, Częstochowa, Gliwice. The city has direct connection by train with the following European and main Polish cities:
The main approaches to Sosnowiec are:
- from Kraków on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 60 km westward of Kraków
- from Wrocław on the A-4 motorway; Sosnowiec is about 180 km eastward of Wrocław
- from Warsaw on the E-67 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 300 km south of Warsaw
- from Cieszyn (on the southern border) on the E-75 European main road; Sosnowiec is about 70 km north of Cieszyn
Sosnowiec has no big car parks system but there are many small car parks along the roads in the city center.
Approaches to Sosnowiec form main polish cities:
- from Kraków: FlixBus
- from Katowice: by public transport
By public transport
There is about 64 regular bus lines operated by KZK GOP[dead link] and about 16 by other carries, 5 tram lines and some local train connection inside Silesia Voivoidship. KZK GOP support 27 cities, including Katowice, Gliwice, Będzin, Mysłowice, Chorzów, Dąbrowa Górnicza. There is one common public transport ticket for all 27 cities. It is possible to pay by SKUP card and by mobile applications: SkyCash, moBilet and mPay[dead link] Consult the map of tram and bus stops and the timetables for all buses and trams.
There is about 45 km of bicycle ways around all city center and connecting popular directions and neighboring cities. You can rent bicycle provided by Sosnowiecki Rower Miejski / Nextbike in one of 22 station around the city. You can leave bicycle in other bicycle sharing system in region (Katowice, Tychy, Siemianowice Śląskie).
- 1 Sielecki Castle, Zamkowa 2.
- 2 Oskar Schöen's Palace, 1 Maja 19.
- 3 Dietel's Palace (Pałac Dietla), Stefana Żeromskiego 2.
- Wilhelm Palace
- 4 [formerly dead link] The Orthodox church dedicated to Saints Vera, Nadia, Luba, Jana Kilińskiego 39.
- 5 Evangelical Church, Stefana Żeromskiego 4.
- 6 Three Emperors' Corner. is a former tripoint at the confluence of the Black and White Przemsza rivers. From 1871 to 1918, under Partitions of Poland, it marked the border between the Russian Empire, Austria-Hungary, and the German Empire.
- 7 Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Kościelna 1.
- 8 Old Schön Palace (Ernst Schön Palace), Chemiczna 12.
- 11 Sielecki Park (Park of Sielec), Zamkowa 2.
- 12 Dietel Park (Żeromskiego Park), Żeromskiego.
- 13 Schoen Park, Chemiczna.
- 14 Tysiąclecia Park (Millenium Park), Baczyńskiego.
- 15 Kuronia Park, Anki Kowalskiej.
- 16 Harcerski Park, Ostrogórska.
- 17 Środula Park, Małe Zagórze.
- Viewpoint at Środula Hill in Środula Parkl
- 1 Public Beach Stawiki, Kresowa 1.
- 2 Cinema City - Sosnowiec Plaza, 2 Sienkiewicza Street. Modern multiplex type cinema with 6 screens.
- 3 Helios. 32b Modrzejowska Street modern multiplex type cinema with approx 4 screens.
- 4 Theatre of Zagłębie, 4 Teatralna Street. 6th oldest Theatre in Poland, still working, still existing in the same building.
- Muza Concert Hall
- 5 Wake Zone Stawiki, Kresowa 1, ☏ . 10AM - 8PM. One of the largest wakeboard centers in Poland with two rope lifts: 750 m and 200 m.
- 6 Autodrom Karting, Stawowa 4. Two-level go-kart track.
- 7 Ski Slope Środula, 3-go Maja 51. 3 ski runs: 450 m, 300 m, 150 m
- 8 Climbing wall Poziom450, Gabriela Narutowicza 51, ☏ .
- Zaglebie Critical Mass - annual cycling event
- 1 Plaza shopping center, Henryka Sienkiewicza 2.
- 2 Plejada shopping center (Centrum Handlowe Plejada), Cypriana Kamila Norwida 2.
- Designer Outlet Center
In strict city center there is about 20 restaurants. Most popular and recommended are listed below. There are also many Food Bars with fast food, snacks, dumplings etc.
- 1 Pezzo Pizza, Kościelna 48 (from city center by foot - about 3 min, by Modrzejewska st. then turn right to Kościelna st.), ☏ . Original italian pizza baked in wood burining stove. Payment only by cash.
- 2 [dead link] Bistro na Wspólnej (Fresh Polish Dumplings), Wspólna 26, ☏ . Mn - Fr: 10AM - 5PM, St: 11AM - 3PM. Traditional polish food: dumplings, broth with quilts, etc. Payment only by cash from 2.5€.
- Bar Mleczny, ul. Warszawska
- Pistacja Cafe
- 3 Kaprys Restaurant, Caffe, Stanisława Małachowskiego 2, ☏ . European kitchen
- 4 Magiel Kulinarny, Warszawska 5A (strict city center, opsite entry Warszawska Restaurant, next to car park), ☏ . traditional, regional kitchen from Sosnowiec and Dąbrowa Basin
- 5 Warszawska Restaurant (Restauracja Warszawska), Warszawska 18 (strict city center, in the same building as Hotel Centrum), ☏ .
- 6 [formerly dead link] Bombaj Tandoori, Partyzantów 5, ☏ . Indian kitchen.
- 7 Cogut & Wino. Restaurant, Stanisława Małachowskiego 9, ☏ .
There is above 70 pubs, bars and clubs in city. Half of them are located in city center, especially on Małachowskiego st. Below are listed most popular places to visit:
- 1 VHS Pub (VHS), Stanisława Małachowskiego 24 (2 minutes from railway station by foot), ☏ .
- 2 Księgarnia, Stanisława Małachowskiego 22 (4 min from city center by foot), ☏ . popular, modern place with trendy music and kraft beer
- 3 Manufaktura Klub, Warszawska 12, ☏ .
- 4 [dead link] Kashmir Music Club, Stanisława Małachowskiego 9, ☏ .
- 5 Dekada Klub, Sienkiewicza 3, ☏ .
- 2 Hotel Centrum, Modrzejowska 3 (strict center, near rails station Sosnowiec Główny), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. n historical building, three-star hotel located in the centre. It features 28 comfortable rooms and 3 conference rooms. From €30.
- 3 Buotique Hotel, Partyzantów 11, ☏ . 3 stars, near city center, in a silent area Form €28.
- 4 Hotel Orion, Przyjaciół Żołnierza 5A, ☏ . 2 stars From €27.
- 5 M Hotel, Wojska Polskiego 199. From €26.
- 1 Humanitas University, Kilińskiego 43, ☏ .
- Intensive Polish course for foreginers by Humanitas University
- Będzin — 10 km east a city just to the north of Sosnowiec with a beautiful castle from the 11th century
- Katowice — 10 km west the regional capital and a major transportation hub with its fair share of monuments and industrial heritage.
- Central Firefighting Museum in Mysłowice; 6 km southwest.
- Auschwitz-Birkenau - 33 km southeast - the cluster of concentration, labour and extermination camps established by the Nazis during the Second World War
- Bielsko-Biała — 80 km south city with cosy old town and many beautiful buildings from Austro-Hungarian times. Many trains from Sosnowiec Main Station .
- The "Eagle Nest Castle Ruins" in the Jura in Ogrodzieniec, Olsztyn, Rudno, Mirów and Ojców. Many trains form Sosnowiec Main Station to Zawiercie, Myszków. 60 km northeast by car by E67 road.
- Częstochowa - is the most important pilgrim's place in Central Europe. In the Pauline Monastery on Jasna Góra (literally: bright hill) you can pray in front of one of the most known icon of Our Lady of Częstochowa. Many trains from Sosnowiec Main Station. 80 km north by car by E67 road.